Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

~Congratulations if you were born before the early 70s!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
    Using milk crates to go downhill on snow.....before sledges were invented.........
    Ironic that 'real' sledges were invented just as real snow ended?

What you really needed around us was a relative who worked in the steel industry. Apparently the ingot moulds had an overflow which was sled runner shaped, and which filled with the excess molten steel and was removed after the ingot had cooled. Rather than chuck them back in to re-melt them for the next batch they were 'liberated' to make sled runners. Everyone around us had sleds of varying designs, but the runners were all identical (though all had a coat of paint to 'disguise' them). My Dad didn't work in the steel industry, but his friend did and I remember we had to join his waiting list to get our runners.
    Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Did anyone change the leather in their whip for a shoelace & did you colour your top?
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
        Did anyone change the leather in their whip for a shoelace & did you colour your top?
        Didn't have a whip, but used to wear a plaited leather headband until I got into a fight and some bugger nearly choked me with it! Embroidered jeans were expensive so I oil painted flowers and leaves on the back of one leg and clagged the two legs together before pulling them apart and letting them dry.
        Can't believe I actually wore those jeans for nightclubbing!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
          Didn't have a whip, but used to wear a plaited leather headband until I got into a fight and some bugger nearly choked me with it! Embroidered jeans were expensive so I oil painted flowers and leaves on the back of one leg and clagged the two legs together before pulling them apart and letting them dry.
          Brilliant......I think we all wore some scary clothes.............32" Parallells with 2" platform shoes & a Ben Sherman.....thought I was the dogs testes........
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

I remember sitting in the bath wearing a pair of levis so they'd shrink to fit. A few years later same jeans went into domestos to "tie-bleach" them. I then tore rips in the legs and sewed fake patches on. They manufacture them like that now!
            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I'm just glad I missed out on platforms....
              A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                I'm just glad I missed out on platforms....
                Me too

But my mum used to have me wear custom baby(to fit in nappy) flares and afghan coat!!
                http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sarajjohnson
                http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...blogs/pipkins/

Comment

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                  I remember sitting in the bath wearing a pair of levis so they'd shrink to fit. A few years later same jeans went into domestos to "tie-bleach" them. I then tore rips in the legs and sewed fake patches on. They manufacture them like that now!
                  Me too and having to lie flat on the bed to do up the zip before the troos dried and the agony of having to flex and strain a bit before being able to walk upright!

Comment

Originally posted by Brengirl View Post
                    Me too and having to lie flat on the bed to do up the zip before the troos dried and the agony of having to flex and strain a bit before being able to walk upright!
                    Yeh, I remember something about zips & coathangers.........not personally of course.....

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                      I don't suppose there are any photos of this perchance?

Comment

For years we used to have egg, chips and beans for tea (dinner) on Friday nights. After I left home and came back for dinner one Friday night I asked for it as a special treat. My mum was gobsmacked. She said it wasn't a special, we just didn't have enough money to buy meat until Dad got home with his wages and the shops were closed by the time he was home.

When I was in my teens there was a lot more money and purchasing a freezer meant our meat consumption rocketed. I got sick to death of steak, chops and roast joints during the week instead of just on Sunday.

It was the occasional consumption of these things which made them special to me. My mum's stews, casseroles and pies were always my favourites.
                        If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

I had a great time growing up, my dad worked for Smiths Crisps & I would go out with him every holiday (not sure it would be allowed today). He would do swaps with other drivers & we would come home with all sorts of goodies.

Comment

Childhood memories are always (in the main) fond ones - it was a time in our life before responsibility, burden and consequence.

As soon as you have to start doing things for yourself, life starts to lose it's lustre.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                              Childhood memories are always (in the main) fond ones - it was a time in our life before responsibility, burden and consequence.

As soon as you have to start doing things for yourself, life starts to lose it's lustre.
                              Bloomin eck Wayne, that sounds serious for you, don't let Bean hear you say that.
                              Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                                Bloomin eck Wayne, that sounds serious for you, don't let Bean hear you say that.
                                Sorry- it would appear my account was hacked briefly there!

Of course, as a parent you get to watch them go through all the cool stuff. The cycle continues...

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X