No announcement yet.

A Google free day?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the perfect xmas gift for you bluemoon would be a webcam.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Google is fabulous, BUT ... you have to be able to sift your answers, and recognise what is worth reading/believing.
      "Know your source" as we were always told at college.
      "check your source" was another.
      "Trust primary evidence, not secondary" was another. For those reasons, I don't use wikipedia
      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 17-11-2009, 07:15 PM.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
        Sheesh, if this article is right, we should all turn off the PC right now and pick up Wuthering Heights or War & Peace!

Is Google Making Us Stupid? - The Atlantic (July/August 2008)
        The author relates that his friends also have difficulty concentrating on large chunks of prose, I wonder if at any point he stopped to question whether it was their age and not the use of computers?

A bit tongue in cheek, but he doesn't seem to have considered many alternate reasons does he? And no I didnt read all the way to the end, it was a bladdy long article!
        WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Uh Oh!

Did this thread go and get all serious?

We can't be having that now can we?

Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
          Snadger - Director of Poetry
          RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
          Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
          Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
          piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
            The author relates that his friends also have difficulty concentrating on large chunks of prose, I wonder if at any point he stopped to question whether it was their age and not the use of computers?

A bit tongue in cheek, but he doesn't seem to have considered many alternate reasons does he? And no I didnt read all the way to the end, it was a bladdy long article!
            I wonder if his reasons for making it such a long winded article were to convince us that our own minds have been Google zapped of the ability to concentrate on reading?!...I didn't get to the end either!

Interestingly...to me anyway!...I seemed to lose the ability to read a whole book shortly after Daisy stopped continual breast feeding.(probably would have been sooner after birth had I not had the hours that feeding gave me to sit & do nowt but read!)
            I started being able to get back into a good book about a year ago...not that long after we got our first computer!

As for a Google free day...I could prossably do it!
            the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              "Trust primary evidence, not secondary" was another. For those reasons, I don't use wikipedia
              Same here
              WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Wikipedia is fine if you have time to follow up the sources provided in the footnotes, almost like treating it as a search facility rather than a presenter of facts. That's what we've been advised by the OU anyway.

Comment

Almost every day is a Google free day for me, I hate it. I admit I'm pretty rubbish at using the internet, dont have the patience to search for stuff, so generally ask others to do it for me.
                  Was recently texted somewhat urgently and asked to Google the price of a bread machine. Came up with answers between 15 and 160 quid. Wasnt sure how this could be so then spent ten minutes going through things to find that some were for bits of a bread maker, some were articles telling me how they didnt stock this article any more, etc etc.
                  Hate it!!
                  If I desperately need to find something out I will call someone, or PM SBP who is the Google Queen.
                  Bob Leponge
                  Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X