Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
    Hi Slug,
    I have just done a broadband speed test & it came back @ 19,056 kbps. That does not equate to my download speed which ranges between 10kbps & 1,000kbps depending on certain variables. So I would be happy with 93.9 but that's just my personal preference. I am not computer literate when it comes to bits & bytes so I don't know which is which. Good Luck .
    19056kb/s is roughly 18.6mb/s pretty dammed good , the royal mail is faster than 10kb/s

Comment

Funny you should say that as it converted to 2.38MB/s. Thats what I meant when I said I didn't understand bits & bytes. I know one is 8x the other but thats about it.

sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Funny you should say that as it converted to 2.38MB/s. Thats what I meant when I said I didn't understand bits & bytes. I know one is 8x the other but thats about it.

The first part is kilobits per second and the part in brackets is kilobytes per second, when used to determine speed then its 1000 bits per second (Decimal), so a kilobyte is 8000 bits but if you were talking about data size then its 1024 bits (binary)

Comment

A couple of years ago we were sold Sky Broadband, only to find out after weeks & weeks of non-connection that Sky BB 'didn't cover our area'. I was extremely cross.

I also recently got caught out by a 3-day clause. The inside of the drawer of our new bed was bashed up, really badly. I didn't notice it until I tried to pull the drawer all the way out for cleaning. I took photos and complained loudly, but the company just kept saying "you should have noticed within 3 days". Like, I should've taken the bed apart to find out it was busted inside

Good luck to you. There seems to be a lot of very bad customer service at the moment, as companies scrabble to get and keep every penny
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Does your examining mean you need to send as much data as you recieve? Most broadband setups are asynschronous meaning you get more speed for downloading than you do for uploading. You can see this in BigMally's example where they get 19Mbps down and ~1Mbps up. If you need 400k uplink the only way is to have a high speed phone line or cable in your house. If you specifically requested 400k uplink you may have some come back.
            http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sorry Slug,
              Didn't mean to cause a diversion from your original post.
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Originally posted by Matt. View Post
                Does your examining mean you need to send as much data as you recieve? Most broadband setups are asynschronous meaning you get more speed for downloading than you do for uploading. You can see this in BigMally's example where they get 19Mbps down and ~1Mbps up. If you need 400k uplink the only way is to have a high speed phone line or cable in your house. If you specifically requested 400k uplink you may have some come back.
                Yes, I do need to send as much as I receive. I haven't done it before, but I download images, add ticks to them using the software, then send it back. I couldn't specifically request a speed, as the invitation to mark pack doesn't specify one, it just gives you a weblink to test it and a page comes back saying 'pass or fail'. It was the ehv software chappy who told me the recommended speed.

One option I have is to sweet talk my old landlord and landlady. I used to use their wireless connection when I lived there, so I'm wondering if I can ply them with wine and piggy back on their connection, marking round at their house for a couple of weeks. My friend also has landline broadband with wireless, so I can try her, too!

Bigmally, don't apologise! Whilst it didn't make perfect sense to me, I think the more people can learn from this thread, the better!

Comment

p.s. Pies, it's at home, but from memory the dongle is a Huaweii E156G That sounds about right). I did have a brief search yesterday evening for boosters and there are even waterproof ones, so it's not all lost, yet! P'raps an early Christmas pressie to myself!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt. View Post
                    You can see this in BigMally's example where they get 19Mbps down and ~1Mbps up.
                    Sorry matt, don't know whos confused the most ,me or you........
                    My readings came in @ 19 Megabits = 2.38 Megabytes down ----19 devided by 8 & 725 Kilobits = 90.6 Kilobytes up (Almost 1 Megabyte) 725 devided by 8.

Anyone got a Neurofen?...............

Comment

Originally posted by SlugLobber View Post
                      Yes, I do need to send as much as I receive. I haven't done it before, but I download images, add ticks to them using the software, then send it back. I couldn't specifically request a speed, as the invitation to mark pack doesn't specify one, it just gives you a weblink to test it and a page comes back saying 'pass or fail'. It was the ehv software chappy who told me the recommended speed.
                      If you told PC World chappie that you need to be able to send between 400 - 450 kilobits per second then he/she needs shooting if they recommended a mobile dongle because the dongles that 3 were using earlier in the year weren't capable of that kind of upload, mind you I think that the ehv software chappie didn't really know what he was talking about when he mentioned an upload requirement of upto 450kbps. Opera turbo may make your browsing experience a bit easier but it isn't something I have needed to try (so dont blame me ).

Comment

Opera turbo? Does it sing to you???

I've been looking at different aerials for enhancing signal and also have a headache. Sheesh! Old landlord also is computer geek, so I might call round in the next day or so and ask him if he's dealt with any of this aerial panel/high gain stuff. Tis quite a bit of dosh it it does sod all!

I didn't tell PC World chap what upload speed I needed. I told him what I needed to do, but I wasn't aware of the actual speed. Thinking about it, OCR should really have provided that info, especially at a time when many people are changing pooters and buying Windows 7. My computer also 'failed' because of this, but ehv tell me it's just OCR covering their backs and he doesn't foresee a problem using this OS, as other people he knows are using it.

Comment

I am wondering if you could use the THE SUPPLY OF GOODS AND SERVICES ACT 1982 in your defense over being missold the items. I am no legal expert, but your situation is very fishy. You should be able to change contracts, unless you have waited too much time to complain...
                          http://onegardenersadventures.blogspot.com/ updated 10-03-2010 with homebrew pics & allotment pics

Comment

Hi Slug,
                            I know it's more expense but I use this & it flys. My desktop is hardwired to it & have seperate laptop running off it. Just trying to consider different options to solve your dilema.

Belkin WIRELESS N BUNDLE * F5D8053/F5D8633-4A: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Comment

Hi Slug,
                              I know it's more expense but I use this & it flys. My desktop is hardwired to it & have seperate laptop running off it. Just trying to consider different options to solve your dilema.

Belkin WIRELESS N BUNDLE * F5D8053/F5D8633-4A: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
                              OK, from my novice research, I would buy this, set it up as for a normal wireless router, plugging in my dongle to the router itself? Did I get that right? Am I a good student?

Comment

Originally posted by SlugLobber View Post
                                OK, from my novice research, I would buy this, set it up as for a normal wireless router, plugging in my dongle to the router itself? Did I get that right? Am I a good student?
                                Nope that's for peeps that have a broadband connection via a phone line

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X