No announcement yet.

Grammar Guru needed to speak to/with...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As languages evolve, what is, is not necessarily what will be or what was. Perhaps the answer to this conundrum lies within the aforementioned statement?
    Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by RedThorn View Post
      As languages evolve, what is, is not necessarily what will be or what was. Perhaps the answer to this conundrum lies within the aforementioned statement?
      The trouble is that we pedants hate it!

Comment

I was chatting to my physio yesterday and he was telling me that in most inner cities in France is a 'new' lingo....

wife = femme is maf -ie backwards.
        It's being going on for 10 years now- and there is a new generation of children who can't speak French- only this backwards language. They're having to employ inner city teachers who can speak both languages to teach them French in the schools!!!
        What with combining that lino with 'rap' the poor kids are having real problems communicating!!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Surely if you were to say 'talk with' this implies that you are both speaking the same thing at the same time, such as when a class recites a piece of prose or a prayer,etc.
          I would generally say that I was talking to a person.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
            Nice pic though
            Nice innit, a professional job.
            A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by OllieMartin View Post
              An eloquent response. So "speak with" and "talk with" are just stylistic preferences? We need to be sure about this, because if I try this with my dad and he comes back with "Yes, if you're an American", I'm going to wind up looking a complete fool.
              I was about to suggest that "speak with" and "talk with" are Americanisms.
              If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

In other words if you wish to talk to somebody you say I wish to talk with you. Get my drift?

Comment

Originally posted by Brengirl View Post
                  In other words if you wish to talk to somebody you say I wish to talk with you. Get my drift?
                  Not if you is from lak Luton yeah. Ya get me?

You say stuff lak "Ere me now bredren" word.
                  A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Were is Flum. ? Flum will know.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Having been unfortunate enough to have actually lived in Luton for a whole year of hell I have to point out HW that you are pronouncing Luton incorrectly it's actually "loooo-un":0
                      Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Aaah, the old glottal stop!
                        Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
                          Aaah, the old glottal stop!
                          Who you callin a glottal!!!???

Comment

So the 'old' is OK?!!
                            Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
                              So the 'old' is OK?!!
                              Depends... to whom you are speaking ..urmmm..who you are speaking to ....urmmm....with ......urmmmmm !!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X