Washing machine is FUBAR'd

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobleponge View Post
    Having read HW's engineer saying "they do more than they used to" there maybe something in that perhaps? The machine I have was owned by the laydee of the couple, who then moved in with her new fella, and the woman was a long haul trolley dolly, and reckoned she only used it once a week on average over the time she had it.
    I only use it probably twice a week when I'm home, averaged out is only one a week throughout the year.....
    But did our parents not wash our clothes as much when we were kids? I dont remember being like Piskies engineer, I'm sure we always had clean clothes pretty much every day???
    lol - I meant in terms of functions etc.

Old machines used to just have to heat the water, and spin - that was pretty much it. Now they have to heat the water efficiently, measure the water, ionise the water, spin one way, then the other, then the other a little bit less vigourously. They have to spin super quietly meaning more damping (bad terminology I know), load offsetting. They have to do a lot more as a machine, compared to the equivalent machine of say 10-20 years ago.

It's why any engineer worth his salt will steer you away from washer/dryers if you ask them.

If you look at laundry washing machines - they are very basic compared to the domestic unit (and far more expensive). This is because a laundry machine has a very basic requirement - it has to just work, and work for long periods of time.

If you have a concrete floor, and money's not the issue I'd buy a "professional" machine, it'll outlast you.
    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Seems my experience is fairly common now. Years ago we had a hotpoint which was still going strong when we left it in a house we sold. Got another one and it didn't last; then another quality brand and that didn't last either, despite a couple of repairs. Now we just buy the cheapest and treat them as disposeable. Sad, isn't it?
      And we've paid for a couple of extended warranties only to find they weren't much use, so we don't get them any more

Comment

I've decided to go for a cheepy one that's as energy efficient as possible. What's the point in paying out hundreds on something that might not last longer than a couple of years? Anyway, I don't have hundreds! Now where's my flexible friend?
        Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
          Bosch for me, quality gear with a good service dept if required. Ours is now 6 years old and going well.
          Our last one was Bosch and I loved it.Lasted almost seven years...and you can imagine with two little ones that's a lot of washes...including nappies!
          When it finally gave up I intended on getting one just the same...took one look & hated it.Although on first appearance it looked the same,when you got close & fiddled with the nobs()& tried the door etc,you could tell it wasn't the same quality.The salesy person told us they were bought buy a different company & although they used to be one of their top reccomendations,no longer so!
          Maybe they've improved again,I don't know?
          the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Forgot to mention LL, Right next door to my cheapy second hand washing machine, sits a forlorn looking Proline washing machine.
            It broke down 5 times in a year, was repaired each time under guarantee but then it broke down again and the shop simply refused to replace/repair. Customer service? In France? Tee hee!!
            Bob Leponge
            Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Forgot to mention LL, Right next door to my cheapy second hand washing machine, sits a forlorn looking Proline washing machine.
              It broke down 5 times in a year, was repaired each time under guarantee but then it broke down again and the shop simply refused to replace/repair. Customer service? In France? Tee hee!!
              You should try the Netherlands. They take pride in poor customer services

Comment

Originally posted by lainey lou View Post
                We had a 2nd hand machine when we first got married, it was already ancient and it lasted us about 6 years, we never seem to get more than about 3 years out of them these days. Can you still rent them? Remember radio rentals?!
                I rent mine from Hughes. Don't know if its a nationwide company or a little one, but I will carry on renting for ever I think.
                Kirsty b xx

Comment

But did our parents not wash our clothes as much when we were kids? I dont remember being like Piskies engineer, I'm sure we always had clean clothes pretty much every day???
                  We had a twin tub for years after everyone else seemed to have 'automatic' machines; and monday was wash day. And we had less clothes....and they lasted longer.

And chocolate tasted nicer. And music was better. And crisp bags held more crisps. And the rose tinted specs didn't get as scratched as quickly as they do these days.

Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                    And chocolate tasted nicer. And music was better. And crisp bags held more crisps. And the rose tinted specs didn't get as scratched as quickly as they do these days.

Sigh.
                    and summers were warmer & sunnier, winters colder & snowier..........
                    The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Ah, la vie en rose!
                      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

oohhh tres continental.
                        Bob Leponge
                        Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Luck seems to have a lot to do with it. Our Indesit washer/dryer has been with us for six years and has also survived one house move. It has been great, meets the A standard for just about everything except a cold wash and has economy this and that. We don't use the dryer bit as that would push our electricity bill to horrendous heights, so maybe that has something to do with its longevity.

Comment

Can you still buy twintubs? (other than caravan sized ones which don't spin worth taking about)
                            They use less water (if, like me, you wash the least dirty clothes first, reuse the water for the dirtier clothes, and rinse in the sink between spins), take less time (but you have to be there, not always a problem) and no-one has yet made a household automatic machine that spins as thoroughly as a twintub (unless it is very recent).
                            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Siemens, Bosch, AEG, Miele - but most come out of the same factory anyway. Some with plastic clips and some with metal... But notice the quality makes are all German! Mum had a Hoover from the late 60's - a keymatic fully auto front loader, lasted 25 years. We had a Blomberg and that died after a hard life and we now have a 1600rpm Bosch.

As for the main bearing breaking up, that will depend upon how much of a load was placed in the drum. Indesit will prolly just say "Tough, but you probably overloaded the drum". Might well not be the case but don't get your hopes up.

Good luck!
                              Let's go diggin' dirt....

Big silver bird, come land low and slow
                              Cut your engines, cool your wings,
                              You've taken me home...

Comment

I used to wash by hand until I had my third child then my life was transformed by a twin-tub! (I remember it now with affection.)
                                I would put sheets and towels in a bath of hot, soapy water and trample them like grapes,then put in jeans etc. and do likewise. Oh, the energy of youth!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X