No announcement yet.

Why do you live where you do

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a Cousin Jack, born in Kernow and lived in either Truro, St Austell, Newquay or inbetween them for about 28 years, then moved around following locum jobs all over the UK, finally settled in Woking, again due to work, but have always said I will move back to Kernow eventually so one day when a decent job comes up or I retire .........
    Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
    Bob Dylan

Comment

I live where I work and work where I live!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I got a job with a London firm, lived there for a short time, loathed it (except for the shopping, bars and restaurants) and so arranged to transfer oop North and tried Sheffield completely randomly. Hated it for a year and gradually fell in love with it. Mr R also hails from the South so lucky we both ended up here...

We've travelled a bit and toyed a lot with living in Vancouver or Australia (Mr R has lived there before), and maybe some day, but both love our families too much to be that far away at the moment.

I also think I'd now be happy anywhere as long as my little family is around me!
        I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

I live here [In England] because when my parents separated my mum came home

I live here [In Derbyshire] because when we were looking at houses this was up for sale, and we looked at next door's and thought 'too small' and then noticed this one was for sale. So we looked round this one. It comes with a canalside garden. On the way home my OH was wittering away and I said 'I have no idea what you are wittering about, my body is driving but my mind is totally on sitting on that decking all summer'.
          So we bought this house and hope to be here for a long long time.

One photo of our decking and garden from the canal [I was in a boat]. The gardens are split and ours is the one inbetween the furniture and the shed behind.
          One photo of the canal, well a chili plant sat on the table.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by zazen999; 19-09-2009, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Home is where your heart and feet are!

Our house was bought as I hate to built up places, a reasonable sized garden(100ft long) and a price we could afford(was living in london before)
            Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

I lived in the same house in Brentwood from birth until I went to Uni. I then lived in halls for the first year but as I was only in London I was coming back most weekends to see my friends, back home in second year, in the third year moved into a rented flat with my boyfriend about a mile away from my folk's.

About 18 months ago we decided to buy a house and we decided to look in Colchester as there was no way we could afford anything in the Brentwood/Shenfield area plus OH's company had an office here so he could easily relocate.

REALLY glad we chose the house we did rather than some of the cheaper one's we looked at. We are only 2 mins walk away from main line station and OH's office plus we're really close to the main town.

When we moved here neither of us could drive (OH has no inclination to and I hadn't passed my test) and we didn't really want to need a car so our house is in the perfect location for that.

Having said that... now I've got a garden I want a bigger one! And now I've got used to having access to a car (via a car club) I would love to move to a more rural location to have a bit more green space and would be happy to invest in a car if that was what was needed to make that happen!

I miss being so near to my folks but I still see them (at least) 4 out of 7 days a week as I work for my Dad but the commute isn't fun!

I guess ideally I'd like to move closer to my folks again but in a more rural location with more space for growing and so I could seriously consider keeping chooks and bees and possibly pigs!
              http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                I live here [In England] because when my parents separated my mum came home

I live here [In Derbyshire] because when we were looking at houses this was up for sale, and we looked at next door's and thought 'too small' and then noticed this one was for sale. So we looked round this one. It comes with a canalside garden. On the way home my OH was wittering away and I said 'I have no idea what you are wittering about, my body is driving but my mind is totally on sitting on that decking all summer'.
                So we bought this house and hope to be here for a long long time.

One photo of our decking and garden from the canal [I was in a boat]. The gardens are split and ours is the one inbetween the furniture and the shed behind.
                One photo of the canal, well a chili plant sat on the table.
                That looks soooooooooooo beautiful!

When my cousin got married he and his wife had a ceremony in a registry office in London and then a blessing at her step Dad's house in Norfolk. Their garden backed onto a canal and it was so lovely and tranquil.
                http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

It is Vikki - apart from when the village is taken over by pirates [next door's have a houseful tonight...]....we were sat there this evening drinking a cuppa whilst a neighbour had their dinner [they eat al fresco pretty much every non-rainy evening]....and we watched a family of odd-bod ducks - two white, one black and 4 multicoloured - faffing about trying to get food thrown at them. It was really lovely.

Sometimes we go out and the moorhen that lives on the opposite bank ducks under the chairs and tries to scoot off back into the water without us seeing.
                  Last edited by zazen999; 19-09-2009, 10:17 PM.

Comment

sounds superb Z

I - we, will have to start to consider where we will put down roots soon, he will have served his time (!!) by December 2015, so we ain't talking yonks away

Ideas anyone? Rooms anyone?
                    aka
                    Suzie

Comment

Hmm...do you like city or country? Or seaside?

Comment

Hmm...do you like city or country? Or seaside?
                        country most deffo
                        seaside yes but not essential
                        city nooooo, I'd sooner live in a lottie shed
                        aka
                        Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
                          country most deffo
                          seaside yes but not essential
                          city nooooo, I'd sooner live in a lottie shed
                          South Wales it is then

Comment

South Wales it is then
                            Lived in St Athan - there's tidy, need somewhere we haven't been.

We have been:
                            Sunderland (too north for a southern belle)
                            Cheshire (lovely, pricey)
                            Bodmin (hum)
                            St. Austell (hum again)
                            St Athan (there's tidy)
                            Edinburgh (city alert)
                            Peterhead (Aberdeen)
                            Bordon, Hampshire (twice)
                            Ruislip, NW London (eeeeeeeeek)
                            Benson (there's lovely but there's money )
                            aka
                            Suzie

Comment

Grew up in a small mining town on the edge of Stoke, moved to Manchester when my parents split up, moved to Lincolnshire when I went into the RAF, then came back oop northish to Manchester when I left. Bought my first house in Gorton (rough as a bears bottom) as it was all I could afford, then met Mr D and moved in with him to Miles Platting (even rougher than a bears bottom)!

Decided to leave Miles Platting after Lee was hit over the head with a brick by some thugs who were trying to steal his scooter (we had a Yamaha Aerox 50cc, it was in a locked back garden, locked to the house wall with 3 locks and had a disc lock too, but they tried 13 times in 12 months, the last time he went out after scaring them off to bring it inside the house, and as he was wheeling it out to take to the front door to get it inside they clobbered him - fortunately I turned up at that moment in the car and scared them off!)

We looked around for something closer to work (we both worked in Altrincham at the time), and dropped lucky with this house in Partington, it was a repossession and needed some work, but we could afford it, so here we are!

Would love to live out in the wilds, in a self build earth sheltered eco house with solar, wind and water power, woods for firewood, big veg patch and some chucks, ducks, pigs, goats, geese, a housecow and possibly a few sheep, but cant afford to do it yet!
                              Blessings
                              Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                              Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                              Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                              On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Originally posted by SueA View Post
                                Why do we live here, because we can't afford to move to anywhere decent, I'd love to live in a small detached house/cottage in the countryside or near the seaside but that's just a pipe dream!
                                Ditto

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X