No announcement yet.

what is your area 'famous' for?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

War of the Worlds was set around here, Mclaren F1 team HQ, britains first Mosque, The Jam, Ken Wood (the kenwood mixer guy) started his business here and my village has the largest privately owned burial ground in the country
    Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
    Bob Dylan

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
      Lady Chatterley's Lover was filmed near here; in Elvaston Castle.

That's about it. We have the annual Well Dressing in the next village; but then again I believe that is quite common round these parts.

And we have the annual oldies versus heavy metalheads in the Co-op every time Download [the new version of Monsters of Rock, plus camping] is on....
      You'll have the British Grand Prix circus there next year as well..

Comment

Brighton - home of the naughty weekend!

Also a few more cultural things like the Royal Pavilion. 3 Piers, one working, one a wreck and the third Chain Pier long gone.

Speed trials (annual) along the seafront, Lon-Bri Car Run - always a great spectacle.

Big gay parade in August I think - great fun, colourful occasion.

Loads more and probably even some I know nothing about despite having lived here for 30 years! Nowadays, love being close to Brighton to enjoy the events but am so glad I moved away from the centre and into a more tranquil suburb.

Comment

I live on the south coast near Folkestone (Sandgate) Home for awhile of H G Wells and Hattie Jacques. We have a castle on the seafront and a military canal.
          Recently our area became famous for Dave the Dolphin BBC NEWS | UK | England | Kent | Dolphin Dave boosts town's trade
          BumbleB

I have raked the soil and planted the seeds
          Now I've joined the army that fights the weeds.

Comment

Worcester - home of Worcestershire sauce (not Worcester sauce - that is a Chinese copy) also the Berrows Journal - the worlds oldest newspaper, and still going every week! also (again) the country's oldest habited site.
            Last edited by digthatchick; 18-09-2009, 11:07 PM.
            http://www.robingardens.com

Seek not to know all the answers, just to understand the questions.

Comment

Well to be obvious! the Pasty!!, and Tin, and Jethro, his brother swept m' chimney!, and his other brother got a pub!!, 'part from that, great scenery, an a few things to look at!!, St Micheals Mount!, Eden Project round ere somewhere?, got a bit of an attitude t'wards visitors!!, they will wander about gettin wet and in the way!!, have to add 10 mins gettin to work when they's about!, only takes 10 mins normal like, oh and a few historic monuments and houses, mebe a garden or two that some beggar lost then found gain, mine f'example!, know its out there! but which way?.
              Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

Erm, nowt really famous championship wise/film wise, that kind of thing, but we are famous for Chorley cakes. Has anyone else heard of them, or are they just famous round here?
                Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Originally posted by janeyo View Post

Another few miles from us and happenng this weekend I believe is the British Ploughing Championships...

exciting stuff I tells ya!
                  In a previous life I once was a journalist covering the British Ploughing Championships!!

Round my way ... Probably the biggest thing is the "Etincelle aquatique" which is sort of a dancing and firework show on water, about fairies. Sounds a bit poncey but is absolutely fantastic. A couple of hundred local kids are involved every year and people really do come from miles around to watch.

There is also Les Roches aux Fees, which is absolutely nothing like Stonehenge but the French will tell you it is.
                  Bob Leponge
                  Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Our town used to have the highest ratio of pubs to people in England apparently. The next town has the world's first ever roundabout and the town the other side has the highest teenage pregnancy rate in the UK I believe. I think the Queen Mother grew up near here too.

Mrs J

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                      You'll have the British Grand Prix circus there next year as well..
                      Yup, we certainly will. I don't think it will have the same impact in the Co-op though. To be fair, we've never been caught in any actual traffic yet but I'm thinking the GP might bring a significantly larger number of people than previous events.....even more than the Village Boot Fair which gridlocks our street when it is on.

Comment

Our tiny village church had William Webb Ellis as a past rector (inventor of Rugby) so we had the World Cup visit us in 2006 when on tour.
                        Eastenders is always being filmed in Epping Forest - the soil is so rich from all the buried soap stars!
                        Pukka Jamie Oliver is local.
                        Plus Essex is very famous for it's warm and friendly females, we are World Famous for our hospitality!
                        Last edited by vicky; 19-09-2009, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dexterdoglancashire View Post
                          Erm, nowt really famous championship wise/film wise, that kind of thing, but we are famous for Chorley cakes. Has anyone else heard of them, or are they just famous round here?
                          What about black pudding Bernie?
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Round here?? We're famous for 'rain', as it always seems to be raining if you visit Manhester, tho living here it isnt as bad as its reputation! Other than that, Alderley Edge isnt too far away, famous for Witches and has links to Merlin. Partington was invaded in the 14th Century by a Viking named Cedric Silkybeard, who raped and pillaged n murdered hereabouts, but otherwise not a lot!
                            Blessings
                            Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                            Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                            Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                            On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Ooh Mrs Dobby. You forgot that Wallace and Gromit were created in Chorlton which is just down the road from me in South Manchester as were Dangermouse and a number of other childhood favourites.
                              Eric Cantona has been making his latest film there too.
                              Alderley Edge is also famous for being full of rich footballers I believe.

Comment

We're famous believe it or not for not being able to get broadband it was even on the news
                                Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X