Missing Kestrel!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning Jules,
    I'm so glad your still getting sightings of freya that's a good thing, lets hope "The pub" lets you put a feeding station up for her, I would have thought they'd have jumped at the chance, could be good for business having a kestrel come and feed at there pub, Freya being a local celebrity now. All the publicity she's been getting I'm sure somethings got to go your way soon, but in the mean time she sounds to be doing OK, keep us updated when you can, I think I can safely say "were all rooting for you".

Comment

That's wonderful news!!

Out of interest, if she's coping OK in the wild , if you do manage to catch her and check her over, might you re-release her- or is it better to keep her in a controlled environment?
      ( not got much idea about BoP)
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

If she's doing this well, then is it not an option to just monitor her and only catch her if you feel she's suffering? I know this is a little controversial, but now that she's had a substantial taste of freedom, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable keeping her in captivity afterwards.

This to me is a story of success for you. You've reared a wild bird in such a way that she has maintained her ability to survive without you (at least so far). I think it's wonderful that she's had many sightings and is healthy.

Comment

Thanks for the update JA, please do keep us posted.
          Hope you get to see her soon

Comment

Thanks for the update Jules, Fingers crossed all goes well for Freya and you all have a sighting of her soon!
            Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by SlugLobber View Post
              If she's doing this well, then is it not an option to just monitor her and only catch her if you feel she's suffering? I know this is a little controversial, but now that she's had a substantial taste of freedom, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable keeping her in captivity afterwards.

This to me is a story of success for you. You've reared a wild bird in such a way that she has maintained her ability to survive without you (at least so far). I think it's wonderful that she's had many sightings and is healthy.
              Slugs, that's my view too. I feel it would be cruel to bring her back to an aviary when she's been loose and is fending for herself and doing everything that she was born to do. However, it is illegal to 'release' a captive bred BOP into the wild willfully.....although we didn't do it by choice. I would happily have Freya back for visits and to make sure she's eating through the winter months. Much as we love her, she should be a free creature, as nature intended.

This afternoon I took a call from a lady who had seen our poster in the supermarket. She had been out with her dogs this morning, and had stopped to watch a kestrel that had just caught a bird. This was in the same area that has had repeated sightings. The lady didn't see the leg ring but was sure the BOP was a kestrel. It's always good to get sightings but knowing that she is making good sized kills is a HUGE relief - especially as the weather has been pants today and she would have been wet.

The caller hadn't realised that Freya was missing until she saw the poster. Tomorrow she's taking her mobile and binoculars with her so she can report a sighting immediately. If we could make contact with Freya and feed her in the wild then we'd be happy.

Jules
              Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X