No announcement yet.

Missing Kestrel!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We were at the sea front today and my OH did wonder why I was looking up in the air

Mind you David Dickinson was filming in the Winter Gardens so she probably thought I couldn't cope with looking at his tan,
    Thought For The Day
    If a plum tomato breaks the law when it’s young
    Would it’s criminal past ketchup with it later?

Comment

It is such a worry losing anything beloved and such as a a kestrel even more worrying, she won't turn up in the lost dogs home.
      I do hope you find her soon. One thing, the weather is kind and she probably won't go too far. Good luck!!

Comment

There have now been about a dozen sightings all within a radius of half a mile. A lady telephoned this morning to say that she thinks Freya is roosting on a telegraph pole near her house every night, but she sees her leave at dawn each morning. This fits in well with other information we've been given. We're going to park up near the pole with binoculars etc this evening at dusk.

Several people are very helpfully monitoring food posts that we have put up their gardens in the area, so we're hoping that something will come of that. One chap was thrilled to bits when a sparrowhawk took the chick from the post in his garden!

The continued sightings reporting Freya flying well, are at least something positive - if we don't get her back she has a good chance of making it through the winter if she can build up to full flying strength before the bad weather sets in.

Another good thing is the increased awareness round here of just what might be visiting your garden. We've spoken to many people whilst we've been out & about, and I think they are all going home with their eyes open that bit wider.

Jules
        Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Good Luck with the stake out, keep use up to speed on what's happening I have everything crossed for her safe return.

Comment

How did you go on this morning? Have you found her? If so, is she ok?

Comment

Originally posted by ginger ninger View Post
              How did you go on this morning? Have you found her? If so, is she ok?
              There was no sign of her. We've found the post where someone said she was roosting every night, but there are no droppings or castings to be seen, so if Freya was there we don't think she stayed long.

DD has spent every minute of her spare time over there, and there are still sightings most days in that area. We think that Freya is actively avoiding us now, which I think is a good sign in the long run.....she's out there doing what she was intended to do. It's a good area for feeding and, because she is used to buildings, she'll benefit from the urban warmth.

Our weather has changed today, and showers are forecast. DD is hoping to get a sight of Freya as the cloud is low. If Freya sees DD she might come back of her own free will as she won't like the wet weather...if not then we know she's probably coping.

We'll keep trying, and I'll keep you posted.

Jules
              Jules

Comment

Sorry to hear that, I was hoping for better news for you & DD, but it's still good news that she seems to be coping.

Comment

Been out wandering in the mizle tonight, just in case our madam didn't like the wet weather, but no sign.

There was a 'yoof' in the park near the streets where Freya was sighted with one of those train horn things (you blow into them and they make a helluva noise) and despite explaining to him that we were looking for a bird and his horn was may be frightening her, he just laughed and carried on, worse than before. I think he flunked charm school

DD will be out at first light as she isn't at Uni tomorrow. There might be a very soggy bird who wants a lift home!

Jules
                  Jules

Comment

O I do hope so jules, I really do. xx

Comment

Good luck, I really hope you find her.
                      Thinking off you all and Freya! xx

Comment

My thoughts were rather worried abut the leg tassels in case she got them caught up in something- but then I remembered her beak...she'd have no probs slicing through them would she if necessary???

keep us updated won't you?
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Any news on Freya please?

Comment

Yes ..is there any more news on her???

Comment

Just helping bump this thread until Julesapple sees it and gives us an answer!
                              All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                              Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Sorry guys, not been on for a while.

Ok, an Update.....

We are still getting sightings from the same area that Freya was seen in when I posted before. The latest have come from a pub, where people sitting out enjoying the indian summer have seen her. The very latest sighting was by the chef of the pub the day before yesterday (Monday) and he saw her ring, but only one anklet.

So, she's still out there and still feeding herself. DD was over at the pub, delivering leaflets to the houses in the surrounding area yesterday and keeping her eyes peeled. We've asked permission to put a feeding post up in the pub grounds, but have yet to hear yay or nay. A regular feeding post would boost her winter food intake and help us to catch her eventually.

It's almost 4 weeks now, so she's doing well, but we have yet to see her for ourselves. Even if we can't catch her, we'd love to see her for reassurance.

Jules
                                Jules

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X