No announcement yet.

think i've eaten mouldy cheese

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My sons are paranoid about sell by dates and are really wary about eating anything a minute over date. It annoys the hell out of me. If it aint smelly or moving, eat it!
    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Check the dates, but also go by the smell. If it smells ok, and looks ok, and is not too many days out of date, then it gets used.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I'm sorry but you are wrong about red wine being an antidote - it should be a really good quality decanted Port
        aka
        Suzie

Comment

Trust you Piskie
          http://www.robingardens.com

Seek not to know all the answers, just to understand the questions.

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
            I'm sorry but you are wrong about red wine being an antidote - it should be a really good quality decanted Port
            Just tried it.. and you're right, Piskie ~HIC~
            I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post
              Check the dates, but also go by the smell. If it smells ok, and looks ok, and is not too many days out of date, then it gets used.
              lol, that wouldn't work on Stinking Bishop

Comment

I agree that sell by dates are a con! Common sense rules - if it smells bad, it probably is! If it doesn't smell, and it needs cooking (meat etc) cook it properly - no problems. My wife and I have been doin that for years, and we're ok still.

PS pardon me for writing in crayon, but I'm not allowed anything sharp in here

Zebedee
                "Raised to a state of heavenly lunacy where I just can't be touched!"

Comment

Am I the only one who simply cuts of the mouldy bits from cheese and carries on? I did this yesterday evening to use up some Red Leicester and I'm still here this morning (and haven't farted raw sewage yet...).

Use by dates, pah! There was someone from the Food Health something-or-other on TV recently who said that the BEST BEFORE dates were as a guide only. It just meant that the food was OPTIMUM before that date, not that it would kill you a minute after midnight on the next day. A friend of mine is terrible for using BB dates as 'kills you after this' dates! I treat 'use by' dates the same!
                  Last edited by SlugLobber; 06-08-2009, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SlugLobber View Post
                    Am I the only one who simply cuts of the mouldy bits from cheese and carries on?
                    nope, I do

I pay no heed whatsoever to Use By/Best Before dates at all, I mean how the heck did we manage to stay alive so long without these things were introduced to 'ensure our health'

If it ain't walking out the fridge or sliding through the bars, I eat it, actually hold that 'sliding through the bars' that doesn't apply to brie - that HAS TO be sliding through the bars
                    aka
                    Suzie

Comment

Brie - from the fridge - oh come on! The stuff is meant to walk!
                      The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

I also ignore best by dates. I got quite upset in the local co-op a couple days ago, they had reduced bananas which were to my mind perfect for making ice cream. They couldn't sell them to me though as they had been left on the shelf a day past their date and they had to go in the bin. I asked if they could use my shopping bag as the bin - NOPE health and safety say I might get ill from eating ripe bananas!!!
                        Happy Gardening,
                        Shirley

Comment

Stuip isn't it! If they can't sell the stuff you would think that it could be given to the Sally Army or some such for the soup kitchens they run, but no - those with nought still have to buy in date food!

I blame the liberals (ducks and runs for cover)
                          The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Originally posted by TPeers View Post
                            Brie - from the fridge - oh come on! The stuff is meant to walk!
                            You're supposed to keep brie and other soft french cheeses OUT of the fridge and they are often VERY smelly but taste delicious. Being too cold kills the flavour.
                            Mould on cheese is fine so I wouldn't worry about it. I have always just cut off any mouldy bits and carried on.
                            Sell by dates are definitely a supermarket ploy to get us to throw perfectly good stuff away and replace it.

Comment

I am sooooooo misunderstood - I refer to the Brie as running through the bars WHILST in the fridge, so imagine how gorgeous it will be when having sat out of the fridge for a few hours waiting to be munched on
                              aka
                              Suzie

Comment

A similar thought to this thread. My wife and went to a local supermarket deli counter, and we saw an absolutely wonderful piece of Dolcelatte that looked as if it was really ready to fight back! when I asked for a chunk (yes, I mean chunk) the young assistant almost went into hysterics. first she thought the cheese was 'off' and didn't want to sell it to us, and had to be told by a supervisor that it was ok. Then she threw a hissy fit about touching it as if her fingers would go manky afterwards.
                                Back to the thread; yes I do eat cheese that has been mouldy.

Zebedee
                                "Raised to a state of heavenly lunacy where I just can't be touched!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X