No announcement yet.

Do you get bored of gardening?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Went out tonight and found a few red tomatoes so immediately cheered up. OH was being angelic and watered the plants in the GH so will get going tomorrow after a big sleep.

We've got the house to do up as well, should be fun to decide what else to do....

Comment

i never get bored of it, in winter i am bored rigid...........sometimes u can lose your motivation but hey just get back up there, start weeding and you will wonder what on earth u were talking about lol......
      Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

I don't get bored with the growing, but I am a really fed up with dealing with the harvest on my own. I seem to have spent the week in the company of courgettes and beans, picking, washing, chopping, freezing, and cooking. The eating seems almost too much trouble by the time I get to it.
        The family won't pick or wash anything, so if I don't want the fruits of my labours to go to waste, I have to make sure its prepared and in the fridge, just as if it has come from the supermarket just in case someone else decides they MIGHT prepare a meal. I'm thinking of giving them ready meals for a week and see how they like them. Maybe they will manage to operate the microwave without help
        I seem to run out of time to do the jobs I do like, and end up tied to the kitchen sink and cooker. Sorry if I sound bitter, but feeling a tad fed up with them all tonight.
        I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
        Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

BarleySugar, I don't know you at all or your family.
          How much do you involve them in the "growing process" ?
          I wasn't at all interested in my wife's activities in the garden until she got me involved. Now we have a fight over who's seedlings get the best spot!
          Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

Wen the kids were little they used to love the garden and coming to the allotment. Now it's 'mum's hobby' and although son no2 will help chearfully with any manual jobs, they really aren't (at 17,19 and 21) that interested in where their food comes from, as long at it arrives reasonably promptly. OH has never wanted to 'interfere', read help, but will if I pull the little woman card, which isn't that difficult coming in at under 5ft.
            Hopefully the children will remember lessons learned earlier in life, and come back to eating sensibly and growing thier own as they make it through this student phase.
            Last edited by BarleySugar; 24-07-2009, 11:14 PM.
            I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
            Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by BarleySugar View Post
              I don't get bored with the growing, but I am a really fed up with dealing with the harvest ...The eating seems almost too much trouble by the time I get to it.
              i'm a bit overwhelmed by it all too (again).
              I seem to spend 6 months growing the veg, 2 hrs picking and preparing it, and it's gone down the hatch in less than a minute. With no appreciation of the effort involved - he'd be as happy eating a pot noodle, prob. happier, tbh.

I am really hacked off today, so am off to the lotty all day, and I don't care so there
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

BarleySugar I know how you feel, my OH helped pick the blackcurrants this year for the first time ever and he's over 70! Last year they went to waste because I didn't manage to get them in in time. As for preparing stuff to go in the freezer, that's my job too, sometimes you feel stuck to the sink! If it's any consolation my daughters, now in their 30's are both growing their own veg and doing their gardens tho' they weren't interested at the age yours are, obviously the seeds were sown, just took a long time to germinate!

Hopefully when winter comes and you're eating your own produce you'll rightfully feel proud of what you've accomplished and don't be afraid to remind others who are eating it why it tastes so good!

Comment

I have never been bored with gardening but do get very, very tired and can't actually physically get on with things. However if i drag myself out of my chair and into the garden or up the lottie i always feel 100% better. Time is always a factor during term time, don't feel badre being de motivated we all go through periods when we really can't be ar**d.
                  When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

Comment

This is a good question. No I dont get bored of gardening, but on the odd occasion, I find it hard to get motivated to go down to the lottie - having said that, as soon as I get there, I find it to calming and peaceful, I wonder why I ever had a problem getting down there!
                    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

WE've both done the sunny side of sod all this weekend and feeling much refreshed, think it's just the whole whirlwind of things! We moved 6 months ago and took on too much! The garden is now producing food, the kitchen is in the process of being redone and we've still got to decorate! This was sort of our first weekend off (bar the usual wahsing and ironing and feeding self) so fingers crossed we'll be back into everything next week!

Hope everyone is going well with their gardening (the rain doesn't help, does it?)

Comment

Originally posted by Bramble_killer View Post
                        As per the question, I've been completely unmotivated this week, to the point that the brocolli flowers have opened and I've had to force myself to go and chop them off tonight and just throw them on the compost heap. The slugs are out in force, they massacred the pumpkin and squashes and eaten the peas that have been knocked to the ground.

I've been really busy at work and travelling today and tomorrow for a course so am extra tired.

What do you do to get back into it?
                        While, in all honesty, I do not get actually [I]bored[I] with gardening, there are days when I feel, to quote Pratchett - 'Buggrit'!

Zebedee
                        "Raised to a state of heavenly lunacy where I just can't be touched!"

Comment

I wouldn't say I get 'bored' with gardening, but sometimes it does feel like I've taken on a bit too much, we're still finishing the self build internally, and I've got the new garden (front and back), the garden at the current house (front and back) and the lottie to look after, and i just can't keep up with the weeds at any of them. So I think I'm closer to frustrated than bored, but there are still so many positives that they out weigh the frustrations.

Comment

I don't get bored with my garden but, dear, kind and patient as Jim is I would find it more enjoyable with a like-minded companion to garden with me. Jim cuts the grass when needed but he only takes an academic interest in veg. and fruit production (and enjoys the fruits of my labour) but as he works long and hard hours I don't push. But sometimes it does seem a bit too much for one person.

Comment

I sooo echo the two sentiments above(Polly & Becki) ! Family adore the 'produce' but as far as 'helping' goes - forget it! Spent 5 hours today digging/planting/weeding/hoeing/shovelling dung and 5 million other wee jobs in and around the place.........while making blackcurrant jelly and mint syrup....... so yes, I share the frustrated comments. Having said all that, just like everyone else, wouldnt change it for the world

Comment

Not bored, more frustrated!

I was out every night last week in the polytunnel and veg patch, chucking slugs in my bucket of salt-water, and there were just as many by Friday night as there had been the previous Sunday....

We've got tons of weeds (dock, mares tail, nettles, bindweed, couch grass etc) and as much as we weed and hoe (and weedkill!!) they are still there. I'm slowly learning to 'love' them, as the tall couch grass protects my blackcurrants from the birds prying eyes!

One day, when I don't have a full time job and 16 animals to look after, I'm sure I'll have the weeds under control, but until then, I'm trying to live in harmony with everything!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X