Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
    There isn't a MP3 player with the capacity to "store" all my 600+ CDs
    Only half a dozen types of music I have dozens.
    Apparently this one can store up to 10,000 tracks

Creative Zen Touch 20GB MP3 Player: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Originally posted by Two_Sheds
    I just got rid of my iPod, because my phone now holds my music (mind you, I only own 4 albums)
    I just upgraded my old, no camera, just text and call phone to the same one! I was very dubious at first and ready to switch back to the old handset at the first sign of trouble but I have to confess I love it!

I use the diary/reminders more than anything else as I have a brain like a sieve. I've still got my little cheapo MP3 player for the train commute but when that gives up the ghost I'll get round to trying to put some tunes on the phone!

Originally posted by Two_Sheds
    I listen to GQT on it
    Me too! Much easier than running extension leads down the garden so I can have good old Radio 4 on!
    http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

Originally posted by veggielover View Post
      i can add sentances to pics.
      got a spellchecker?
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

ooo TS i am with you, i looove my ipod, i looove music and i would be without all the techno lol!

and my phone even lets me makes calls and text as well lol!

Comment

I have a digital camera, several MP3 players, and a mobile phone. I just don't want to combine them all.
          Camera phone... I am considering it, but I think I would rather keep my mobile music the way it is now.
          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

remember when you went out with 2p in your sock.
            My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

This morning Nog.
              Bob Leponge
              Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Me too! Much easier than running extension leads down the garden so I can have good old Radio 4 on! [/QUOTE]

I've got a wind up radio for the lottie or GH, tho' I must say I love the peace of the lottie and don't often use it.
                Last edited by Lottieval; 24-06-2009, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Tried it out this morning while walking the dog and it was great. I was a little concerned at first that I wouldn't be able to hear anything other than Mr Clapton but no, heard people saying Good Morning as usual.

Now got to master either not singing along or doing crude imitation guitar sounds
                  I am certain that the day my boat comes in, I'll be at the airport.

Comment

Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
                    There isn't a MP3 player with the capacity to "store" all my 600+ CDs
                    Only half a dozen types of music I have dozens.
                    I bet there is BW My sons both have 32Gb capacity (= 16,000 tracks) on their Creative Zen (I wouldn't touch an iPod with a 30ft pole *pah!) and it also plays movies...
                    Mine only has a 5Gb capacity, but I still haven't filled it up! I use mine in the car along with one of those funny tapes with a wire coming out of it to plug into the headphone jack. Saves carting a huge pile of cd's everywhere in the car.

My phone (Sony Ericsson C902) has a better camera on it than the seperate digital camera we have, it has 2Gb of memory so I can store plenty of music on it, and as Sheds says the diary/organizer functions are invaluable. I would much rather have all these functions in one device - 1) I never forget to take any of them with me, 2) it takes up very little room in the pocket, 3) if I see something worth taking a picture of I don't have to kick myself for not having a camera.

They really don't take that much working out - once you've been through it a few times with someone who knows what they're doing it's easy enough. Just like using a computer, most people didn't know how to do stuff until they were taught and now it's second nature

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                      I bet there is BW My sons both have 32Gb capacity (= 16,000 tracks) on their Creative Zen (I wouldn't touch an iPod with a 30ft pole *pah!) and it also plays movies...
                      Mine only has a 5Gb capacity, but I still haven't filled it up! I use mine in the car along with one of those funny tapes with a wire coming out of it to plug into the headphone jack. Saves carting a huge pile of cd's everywhere in the car.

My phone (Sony Ericsson C902) has a better camera on it than the seperate digital camera we have, it has 2Gb of memory so I can store plenty of music on it, and as Sheds says the diary/organizer functions are invaluable. I would much rather have all these functions in one device - 1) I never forget to take any of them with me, 2) it takes up very little room in the pocket, 3) if I see something worth taking a picture of I don't have to kick myself for not having a camera.

They really don't take that much working out - once you've been through it a few times with someone who knows what they're doing it's easy enough. Just like using a computer, most people didn't know how to do stuff until they were taught and now it's second nature
                      I'd probably forget to USE things like diary/organiser functions, and time when I want music are not so very often, but the camera, yes I can see it being something I might use (in fact I currently have a bid on one on e-bay).

A 'normal' music CD is 64Mb (if full, a lot are far from full) and 1Gb will take 8 of those. I find that most CDs have several tracks I don't want (and of course there will always be tracks that are on more than one CD) so I can imagine that 32Gb might take several hundred CDs-worth of music (especially if you use a different file format, because the one used on ordinary CDs is not very space-efficient).
                      I enjoy using several small (not more than 1Gb) MP3 players, but it would be boring if we all wanted the same things!

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
                        A 'normal' music CD is 64Mb
                        Think you missed a zero out there
                        There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

HotStuff - please could you put some male totty in your ever-changing avatar? We've seen most of your girlie collection now .... !
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by HotStuff View Post
                            Think you missed a zero out there
                            Errrrr... no, but you do get 16 to the Gb, not 8......

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
                              Errrrr... no, but you do get 16 to the Gb, not 8......
                              I beg to differ, CD audio uses a sample rate of 44.1 kHz and for stereo audio this requires 176,400 bytes per second (or 1,411,200 bits per second - there are 8 bits per byte) of data storage. This equates to about 10.09MB per minute of audio in CDA format. Which means if the capacity of a CD were only 64MB you could only get about 6 and a bit minutes worth. The standard 12cm size blank CD has a nominal capacity of 700MB, infact in raw terms it's actually much higher, over 804MB, which gives a capacity of around 80 minutes.

When you "rip" a CD to MP3 (or another format) you are converting it. Depending on the bitrate you use for the conversion you can end up with much smaller files, but the lower bitrate you use the greater the possibility of noticing the dip in quality. It's the old quality versus quantity problem The MP3 standard specifies bitrates from 32 to 320kbits/s, so the size of the resulting files could vary by a factor of 10 depending on the rate you choose.

Compact Disc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                              Last edited by HotStuff; 25-06-2009, 07:02 AM.
                              There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X