What counts as fruit and veg?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NOG View Post
    What about parsnips? They are mostly sugar.
    They taste like it, but aren't, actually. High in carbs, but only about 5% sugar (4g of sugar in a 78g serving)
    Like most veg, they are mostly water.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

To count as a portion it needs to be around 80g. I go by large handfuls. Garlic would count in the onion portion. My shepherds pies are good for getting loads in cause they contain onion, garlic, carrots, peas and a tin of baked beans - I always thought I was the only one that put baked beans in SP but a well known chef said it was one of his fave meals cooked by his mum
      Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

What you fancy is good for you, hope your cold is better soon.

Comment

I don't get why potatoes don't count, but other veg that is high in carbs do?

What about yams? Sweet potatoes?Parsnips? I believe peas are also high in carbohydrate, but does it make them any less valuable as veg in the diet?

Comment

Have a look at this NHS site its got lots of info about '5 a day' and a download chart thingie that's handy if you've got kids.
            Last edited by Bren In Pots; 19-06-2009, 03:58 PM.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by indigox View Post
              I don't get why potatoes don't count, but other veg that is high in carbs do?

What about yams? Sweet potatoes?Parsnips? I believe peas are also high in carbohydrate, but does it make them any less valuable as veg in the diet?
              I think it is about the 'starch to fibre' ratio. Potatoes (cooked) have remarkably little fibre for their starch content, and are therefore more comparable with the starchy foods, like bread and rice (not sure wholemeal bread doesn't have more fibre-per-calorie than spuds).
              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by HayleyB View Post
                To count as a portion it needs to be around 80g. I go by large handfuls. Garlic would count in the onion portion. My shepherds pies are good for getting loads in cause they contain onion, garlic, carrots, peas and a tin of baked beans - I always thought I was the only one that put baked beans in SP but a well known chef said it was one of his fave meals cooked by his mum
                The only thing that dosent go in our Shepards Pie is his dog.
                My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

A lot of the decision about excluding potatoes was because of the ways they are often cooked. The whole idea was to get people to eat a variety of vegetables and fruits. They thought that if they included potatoes there would be lots of people (especially teenagers) eating their portions as chips and crisps. They didn't worry about sweet potatoes etc because people who eat them are normally eating lots of other vegetables and fruits anyway.
                  Scarily potatoes are still the biggest source of vitamin C in the UK, they form the main source of this for a very large section of the population.

Comment

I have several friends who think that wine, chocolate and crisps are three of your five-a-day.
                    I'm really not particularly worried as I know my family and I eat a healthy diet. Usually at least 6 or 7 portions of fresh fruit and veg a day, then juice and beans/pulses etc on top of that.
                    It's starting to look as though we will be having 5-a-day of courgettes alone soon!

Comment

If you eat your veg portions for vitamin content and fibre then potatoes boiled or in their jacket should count. Also, parsnips and onions, garlic etc are good nutrition sources surely the reason that we eat them. 'Coloured' veggies are extra good nutrition sources due to the beta carotene but this should not mean that uncoloured should not count. Starchy veg should only be reduced for weight loss purposes.
                      BumbleB

I have raked the soil and planted the seeds
                      Now I've joined the army that fights the weeds.

Comment

Originally posted by BumbleB View Post
                        If you eat your veg portions for vitamin content and fibre then potatoes boiled or in their jacket should count. Also, parsnips and onions, garlic etc are good nutrition sources surely the reason that we eat them. 'Coloured' veggies are extra good nutrition sources due to the beta carotene but this should not mean that uncoloured should not count. Starchy veg should only be reduced for weight loss purposes.
                        It isn't about reducing starchy veg, more about them not being part of the '5 a day' count. Spuds are an alternative to bread etc, so not 'veg' for that purpose (and as someone said, if spuds were included people would be counting chips and crisps). 5-a-day PLUS spuds is the target.
                        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I think we should also remember that five a day isn't any magic number. It's a campaign started by various health etc departments to get people to eat more healthy food, its not about getting people to reduce potato intake or targeted at the type of people who're growing lots of their own stuff. The trigger was (apparently according to the Caroline Walker Trust) finding cases of mild scurvey in the early 1990's, its to get people who never ate anything fresh eating better. Five was a nice catchy number and the campaign was geared to certain population sectors.
                          I was amused on Wednesday as we went to a local pub for a meal, the menu indicated, very inaccurately, the number of portions in various dishes. When I eat out I choose what I like as I know that I eat very healthily at other times, but I guess if you feed your children in pubs often it does become a factor.

Comment

Originally posted by indigox View Post
                            I have several friends who think that wine, chocolate and crisps are three of your five-a-day.
                            And I really think that a decent slice of carrot cake should count
                            Life is too short for drama & petty things!
                            So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

Originally posted by Comfreyfan View Post
                              And I really think that a decent slice of carrot cake should count
                              Indeed!!!!...I've recently started adding a handful of chopped dates & apricots to my choccie brownies...never felt better!
                              the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Do cornflakes count.....
                                My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X