No announcement yet.

Had To Have A Look..!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've harvested two lots of Arran Pilot, so far and I appreciate your joy! I had some of them for lunch, today and the peeps at work are already starting to glaze over when I open my lunch box and start with the words, 'home grown...'.

Comment

You all seem to know a lot about pots my first early potatoes have not yet grown as big as my second earlies. I put a handful of potato fertiliser when I planted the second earlies and consequently they have grown much bigger so I thought that was fair play. However whilst the second earlies are in flower and have been for a few weeks the first earlies don't have a bud in sight which I am confused about? Even the maincrop are starting to flower. The first earlies have been in the ground now for 12 weeks should I start to harvest them or wait for them to flower?

Comment

First earlies don't always flower.....furtling is the only option.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
          oh damn, you've talked me into it zazen.. i resisted for such a long time too

i'm off for a furtle, full report to follow.....

Comment

Can you expand on furtling what does that actually mean do you do it with your hands rather than a trowel?

Comment

shall we all have a mass furtle??? lets all go out now and see what we can find

Comment

Originally posted by susiedoo View Post
                Can you expand on furtling what does that actually mean do you do it with your hands rather than a trowel?
                Yup, get your hands into the soil - carefully feel about and see what is happening, help yourself to the larger ones. Try not to disturb any small tubers and they will grow on.
                Happy Gardening,
                Shirley

Comment

Sounds like fun will definitely have furtle later!

Comment

We furtle all our potatoes until the foliage falls over, or blight gets us.

It's really the only way to go!

Comment

Will somebody please tell my spuds to get a shift on!!!! I am fed up seeing everyone's posts and not having any to enjoy myself!
                      Happy Gardening,
                      Shirley

Comment

just been up to my elbow in muck (felt like james herriot) but not one single spud, absolutely nowt!!

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                          Furtle is a great word...mine didnt have flowers by the way...giong to have a furtle again very soon..lol.

Cheers
                          braders...

Comment

while i was furtling i felt things sorta like snapping between my fingers.. have i done any damage?

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                              Will somebody please tell my spuds to get a shift on!!!! I am fed up seeing everyone's posts and not having any to enjoy myself!
                              You're not alone, Shirley, mine have grown masses of leaf which has fallen all over the tubs, but my furtlings have produced nothing. Can't help feeling that I've done something wrong somehow.

Comment

I thought I was the only loony who took pics of my potatoes and posted them. Glad to see other peoples pics. They all look great. This years potatoes not ready yet Boo Hoo but you can look at some of last years - Again
                                Charlotte, Cherie and Sharpes Express.
                                Can't wait to get this years.

Attached Files

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X