No announcement yet.

spud top growth!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got 4 differemnt types, all well on (4th a bit behind) in my chum's garden, need to start earthing up, probably week after next.

But my organic seed swap spuds in buckets at home are doing well and need earthing up now, will do tomorrow, weather permitting.
    TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

I've been earthing up today,my question is that my 2nd earlies and main crop tatties are beginning to show, is this right?

Comment

Originally posted by helly View Post
        I've been earthing up today,my question is that my 2nd earlies and main crop tatties are beginning to show, is this right?
        If your spuds are in the ground there is no need to earth them up to much let them grow a bit first but if there is a chance of frost and you have mowed the lawns save that and drop on top of them that will protect them .
        If you have a frost and there is white frost on them in the morning if you spray the hosepipe over them and wash the frost of before the sun come's up and burns them you can save them that way .
        If they are in containers i can not advise because all of mine are grown in the ground hope this helps....jacob
        What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
        Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Originally posted by jacob marley View Post
          These are what mine looked like this morning the one's inside the frame's are the earlys and just coming into flower ....jacob
          Jacob, why do you have them inside those frames (if you dont mind me asking of course!)> Is it so that you can add more earth/compost without it going all over the place?

Thanks

Laura

Comment

Originally posted by Scottishnewbie View Post
            Jacob, why do you have them inside those frames (if you dont mind me asking of course!)> Is it so that you can add more earth/compost without it going all over the place?

Thanks

Laura
            They are inside those frame's to shelter them from the wind i have not earthed them up much either i plant them 8 inch's deep and i just pull abit up to them to keep the weeds at bay .
            the frames have got thickish poly see through that used to be in the doors of main frame computors .
            I have also got some cabbage growing the same way they mature earlier this way....jacob
            Last edited by jacob marley; 21-05-2009, 04:51 PM.
            What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
            Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Your a clever old begger arent you Jacob? Thats inspired that is
              WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Not really clever just experience you can do it with heavy net curtains there are plenty of them on car boot sale's lots of plants grow better with a bit of shelter from the elements .
                I think that is why the Victorian's had walled gardens we are just adapting modern way of life to do the same job..jacob
                Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Which earlies are those Jacob? I planted Colleen and King Edward on 15 March and the King Edward have put on much more growth than the Colleen (which are supposed to be early) not really expecting to get a crop for a while yet.
                  Happy Gardening,
                  Shirley

Comment

The first half of the row as you look at it are Rocket and the half furthest away are Winston....jacob
                    Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

There's still no sign of mine Has a nasty suspicion that the OH has planted them all too deep...

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                        There's still no sign of mine Has a nasty suspicion that the OH has planted them all too deep...
                        Or upside down?
                        The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                        Brian Clough

Comment

Probably upside down they will come some time you will just about get them for christmas ....jacob
                          Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Originally posted by jacob marley View Post
                            The first half of the row as you look at it are Rocket and the half furthest away are Winston....jacob
                            I love Winston spuds but didn't get over to the garden centre that sells them this year. We have Colleen, King Edward (we eat loads of roasties), Smile (yet to be planted), Hunter and last week I got 3kg of Maris Peer for £1.50 which I need to get in.
                            Happy Gardening,
                            Shirley

Comment

I've still got a nearly full bag of Sarpo Axona, 2/3 of a bag of Peach Bloom, and a third of a bag of Desiree. No room for them! But if the ones planted don't come up soon, at least I'll have replacements
                              I asked him how deep he planted them, he says about a foot

Comment

mine are all quite tall now and i have been earthing up and more recently putting sraw around as i had a whacking great bale for the chickens.There are no flowers on them and i planted king edwards,and another row of wiljas.Do they flower before they are ready?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X