Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Redundancies just announced at my work...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats and commiserations to you Becki. Hope it all stabilises soon.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

I agree with the poster above who said that waiting is worse than knowing. Was made redundant about 10 years ago after a period of great worry. Was surprised to acutally feel relief and, although it can take a while, it does give you a chance to put things into perspective and work out what you actually want to do. Hope it all works out OK.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Relieved for you, but sorry to hear about your 'boys'. This redundancy lark sucks, big time.

Comment

Yeah, the atmosphere is pretty low now. I think they should have sent the lot of us home for the afternoon, then we could have all gone up the pub to drown our sorrows - its not like there is anything productive going on.

Comment

Yes, thats the 'usual' thing to do - maybe suggest an early finish?
            BumbleB

I have raked the soil and planted the seeds
            Now I've joined the army that fights the weeds.

Comment

...erm, no, or I might end up first on the list for the next round ;0)

Comment

I'm pleased for you Becki - but it's not nice having to work together with those who are going - for you or for them. Difficult.
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Depends how it's done Flummery. Some places ditch you onto garden leave very quickly. Personally I had my meeting to be told I was offski and that was that - straight out the door.

Comment

I'm relieved for you Becki and so sorry for all the people who have lost their jobs. Very demoralising for them. Hopefully the economic situation will pick up soon and things can get back to normal.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Glad you're OK Becki. Hard on those that have lost out though. These are tough times.
                      A good beginning is half the work.
                      Praise the young and they will make progress.

Comment

Pleased for you Becki, I have some idea of how things feel having recently survived two rounds of redundancies recently (Sept 08 & Mar 09). Makes for a very uncomfortable workplace, but you can only do what you do.

Just want to get 2009 over with to be honest work wise, but some things are beyond our control.

Hope things pick up for us all soon.

One glimmer of solace for me is that often construction is first into a recession and should be first out. I'll keep you all posted.
                        Last edited by HeyWayne; 29-04-2009, 09:03 PM.
                        A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

We have been through this where I work and it is so sad, so awful. I am glad you are ok Beckie but and am sad for your colleagues who have not fared so well. I wish you all well and for happier times for you all.
                          HF
                          x

Comment

Glad for you Becki. I know how you must have been feeling. My OH has to go to a meeting at his works tomorrow to see who is going to be made redundant. It's definitely no fun waiting.
                            Do it! Life's too short

http://for-you-dad.blogspot.com/

Comment

It's a classic cliche, but every cloud has a silver lining.

I was made redundant on the 20th April (Although I'm technically still employed on garden leave until 15th May). I've been telling myself for ages that I should convert half my garden into a veg patch, but I never had time. Now it's my 9-5 job!
                              Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
                              Snadger - Director of Poetry
                              RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
                              Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
                              Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
                              piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by OllieMartin View Post
                                It's a classic cliche, but every cloud has a silver lining.

I was made redundant on the 20th April (Although I'm technically still employed on garden leave until 15th May). I've been telling myself for ages that I should convert half my garden into a veg patch, but I never had time. Now it's my 9-5 job!
                                When steel production ceased at Consett works in 1980 I was one of the 7000 made redundant........in fact the whole town was made redundant as it was a one employer town.
                                After all the odd jobs were done around the house I tackled the garden......then the next door neighbours.......then the MIL's.

After six months the reality of having no job, no money and no future kicked in and it was awful.

Luckily I escaped the town and got out of heavy enginering. I have been employed with another firm ever since and enjoy my job.

All I'm saying is that reality kicks in when gardening leave ends and it aint pleasant!
                                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X