grand National tips

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
    Oh, I watched a thing on telly about that experiment Geo, with Adam Hart-Davis I think, where they replicated the photography. Wasn't it to prove that horses do have all four feet off the ground at once? Cool
    Trying to make the Gif...

A bit smaller

Geo..
    Last edited by Geo; 04-04-2009, 03:30 PM.

Comment

If I remember rightly from a project I did at Guides - horses keep two feet on the groung at a trot, one foot at a canter and all four leave the ground a a full gallop.

Anyone bet on the 100-1 shot that won???!!!
      Tx

Comment

Nice one Geo - I saw it on TV too. Thanks for putting it in this thread tho - very interesting.
        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

A horse died this grand national - wont be encouraging it again by betting

Comment

Originally posted by rogesse View Post
            A horse died this grand national - wont be encouraging it again by betting
            39 others that took part didn't, I never had a bet and the race still ran.

Comment

My tip is Mon Mome at 100/1 !
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I had a heated argument with a friend years ago about Horse Racing and Show Jumping. She said it was cruel to make Horses do it. She couldn't understand that they like it, once they are psyched-up they are no different to a Sprint Runner or Racing Driver, the adrenaline rush takes over. She also didn't believe that if a Horse doesn't want to Gallop or Jump it won't!

Personally, I don't watch it any longer, because of the accidents.
                All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Horses really really wont do something they dont want to Making me smile just thinking about some of the "discussions" I used to have with my girl
                  WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                    Horses can be fatally injured having a nice trot over the Downs, by putting it's foot down a rabbit hole There is risk involved with all activities, it's down to personal choice whether you believe the risk to be acceptable or not. We could also warn about the risks of gambling full stop....! But I'm happy that you are all able to make your own choices
                    I disagree with you, the public need more information about the huge wastage of beautiful animals perpetuated by this unacceptable and outdated sport. Horses are highly unlikely to be fatally injured having a 'nice trot'. If you ask them to perform a sport that puts huge, unnatural strain on their limbs it ruins them. Horse racing is dreadful and as an animal lover and horse owner I find it entirely unacceptable. This is not about making your own choices - its about making an informed, intelligent choice. My tip - do not bet on a horse race, boycott it.

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
                    Horses really really wont do something they dont want to Making me smile just thinking about some of the "discussions" I used to have with my girl
                    Nonsense, we are just using Their innate 'run with the herd instinct.' They are hugely giving, kind animals and we ought to know better!
                    Last edited by zazen999; 05-04-2009, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tootles View Post
                      If I remember rightly from a project I did at Guides - horses keep two feet on the groung at a trot, one foot at a canter and all four leave the ground a a full gallop.

Anyone bet on the 100-1 shot that won???!!!
                      Notice the position of the horses legs,in this painting by Stubbs...

Geo..

Comment

Originally posted by petal View Post
                        I disagree with you, the public need more information about the huge wastage of beautiful animals perpetuated by this unacceptable and outdated sport. Horses are highly unlikely to be fatally injured having a 'nice trot'. If you ask them to perform a sport that puts huge, unnatural strain on their limbs it ruins them. Horse racing is dreadful and as an animal lover and horse owner I find it entirely unacceptable. This is not about making your own choices - its about making an informed, intelligent choice. My tip - do not bet on a horse race, boycott it.
                        It is only unacceptable to people who find it unacceptable, and rather than 'out-dated' one could say 'historic'. My sister's horse had to be destroyed after breaking a leg in a rabbit hole. He never came to the least harm in a point-to-point, because he was well trained the strain wasn't unnatural, but what he had been properly prepared for. Any statistic can be turned to suit the person using it - in the US a major study has been done about mortally injured horses in racing. Over 5 years, 5000 horses in training died, which sounds like a shocking figure, but when put into context with the number which raced in that time you can say that 99.87% of the time a horse starts a race and finishes it as healthy as when it started.... Same figures, totally different view. Statistics and bluster

Originally posted by petal
                        Nonsense, we are just using Their innate 'run with the herd instinct.' They are hugely giving, kind animals and we ought to know better!
                        Nonsense? No just a differing opinion.
                        Yes, they do have an instinct to run, race, get to the head of the pack. And some horses enjoy it, some don't. My sis had a pony who really wasn't interested in racing, didn't want to jump, so she became the quiet hack of the stable. No trainer would enter a horse in a big race that want to do it.

Anyway, that's my opinion, I accept that it might not be yours.

Comment

I'm with you on that one Sarz (really sorry about your sister's horse btw - that's awful luck, and something that is forefront in my mind when I'm on a stubble field!)

Personally, I've known more than one 'ex-chaser' who was retired early from a lack of willingness to run - one of them even used to stop and wait for her 'mates' when she got to the front! (Had a very famous 'Daddy' too) Unfortunately, most sports are governed by money, and common sense is blinded. There are many, many people out there that will bet on anything; horses, dice, cards, snails even pooh sticks, the list is endless. Horse Racing will stop when betting stops ie. never. Like it or not - doesn't make it right.
                          Last edited by Glutton4...; 04-04-2009, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by petal
                            Not very polite to dismiss anothers opinion as nonsense, but hey ho I can see this is something you feel strongly about.

Originally posted by petal View Post
                            Agreed racing and jumping at professional levels does put a huge strain on limbs and tendons. Also very few racehorses, proprtionally, are well rehabilitated after their racing careers.

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                            Notice the position of the horses legs,in this painting by Stubbs...

Geo..
                            Umm Stubbs and his contemporarys got it wrong. All four legs dont leave the ground in extension at the gallop, but when they are "bunched up " underneath them.

Still maintain it was nigh on impossible to get my mare to do anything she didnt fancy, herd instinct or not

Comment

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
                              Still maintain it was nigh on impossible to get my mare to do anything she didnt fancy, herd instinct or not
                              That's cos she's female - had one just like it! Dunno who was more stubborn/hormonal - her or me!

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                                That's cos she's female - had one just like it! Dunno who was more stubborn/hormonal - her or me!
                                I could never tell either, but she won most of the debates we had

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X