Buried Treasure!!??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snuffer View Post
    Like Flummery and selfraising, I have found hundreds of pieces of clay pipe. Although they are of no value and not unusual in any way I save every one. Don't really know why, it just seems nice to have a direct link to those that have worked my plot in the past.
    Brings the land to life, sort of doesn't it? You can date them if you find the heel - the bit you could stand it on - as they often had an imprint or stamp on them.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Unfortunately all the bits I've got are bowls and the long mouth piece things. I think I'm definitely gonna save up for a metal detector and see what else I can find. You never know, I might find a hoard (unlikely but hey I can dream!).
      AKA Angie

Comment

On my plot to date I have found, a belt, a pair of trousers, 2 boots (size 12+), a jacket and a pair of pants. In my garden I have found lots and lots of bricks, slate and york stone, oh and a lawnmower lol!

Comment

Nearly enough clothes for a scarecrow.
          I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Comment

Originally posted by sharonr View Post
            Nearly enough clothes for a scarecrow.
            lol, should have saved them. I found a frog with 3 legs as well lol!

Comment

Dead or alive?
              I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Comment

When I was a kid we found a car door buried in our garden (upright!).. dug for an hour but finally gave up when we had dug out the window frame only to find the rest of the door still attached. Re-buried it and put the spuds somewhere else.
                Last edited by Gwen11ian; 24-02-2009, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Now that's what I call bad parking!!
                  AKA Angie

Comment

only loads of rubbish on my plot, i wonder who will find my secateurs that i lost a couple of weeks ago, unless someone has and although i have asked they have gone.
                    Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                    and ends with backache

Comment

I just found a coin dated 1735 on my allotment plot today! Nearly definitely not British, but can't really tell more than that.

Aha, using my superpowered friends, I have found it is a Russian Denga! http://www.rustypennies.com/catalog/pix/bj608.jpg Not worth a fortune, but certainly an interesting find.
                      Last edited by Growem; 19-04-2009, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Ok, you won't believe me, but to date (at my parent's house) we have found...

1 very old gardening spade with a love heart shaped digging bit and ornamental handle
                        A hoe
                        A cobbler's show mold, old leather heels and some leather cutting equipment
                        Victorian and Roman coins
                        A tin soldier
                        Two st Christophers

and...

A gravestone

The house is built on what was Hounslow Heath where the highway men used to ride.

There's three graveyards either side and the rumour is that it used to all be one big plot which was built over.

Proud to say that we have added a time capsule, one dead rabbit, one dead guinea pig, several goldfish and a load of toys to the mix

Comment

Spooky Nickerly, very spooky You mean to say your house is probably built on an old graveyard? There must have been a cobblers near where you live to find all that shoe stuff!
                          AKA Angie

Comment

Originally posted by selfraising View Post
                            Spooky Nickerly, very spooky You mean to say your house is probably built on an old graveyard? There must have been a cobblers near where you live to find all that shoe stuff!
                            I'm not sure if the house is actually built on top of graves, more likely waste land that they hadn't started burying people in yet. Hence all the junk.

The cobbler's bits and pieces are confusing as the house was fairly new and the people who lived there before are related to our neighbours and none of them were cobblers

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen11ian View Post
                              When I was a kid we found a car door buried in our garden (upright!).. dug for an hour but finally gave up when we had dug out the window frame only to find the rest of the door still attached. Re-buried it and put the spuds somewhere else.

When I lived on a small island in Orkney, the drive on ferry only came into service (for that island) a couple of years after we moved there. Before that, cars had to be loaded and unloaded by crane, so removing defunct cars was not on. One of the neighbouring farms they had been in the habit of burying 'dead' cars, and drivign a tractor over tosquash them down a bit. Then some clever person decided to put the chicken house in that field, and wondered why they had the biggest rat population on the island! Comfy bedrooms underground (the seats of the old cars) and a good dining room above (the feeders in the chook house)... rat heaven!
                              Last edited by Hilary B; 19-04-2009, 09:05 PM. Reason: typo
                              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Not on the plot but when we came home from the plot there was an old man and woman, in my garden.

I do wish my perants would tell us that they were coming. I was frightened that they were escapees from the old peoples home up the road. Thy are attracted by the smell of the hobnobs.
                                My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X