No announcement yet.

First bee spotted!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I too saw one on Saturday afternoon, it was glorious weather, so warm was able to be gardening in a teeshirt and jeans for the first time this year. Sadly have only one crocus and a few snowdrops out at the moment - but more to come.
    Sue

Comment

Yesterday was warm here and there were small honey bees collecting pollen from the cocuses. I also saw brimstone and red admiral butterflies.

Comment

Heard our first woodpecker a few days ago and the red squiggles (we don't have grey here) are running round, have seen a couple of butterflies too.
        TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

we had a bee experience at the lottie yesterday,DH saw it,and i had it zzzzzzzzzround my head whan sitting with me drink,makes you feel more like getting on with it.
          sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

I saw my first one yesterday in my daughter's garden, I saw a bumble on a heather. Spring.
            My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Saw one the other day it seemed very sleepy
              Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
              and ends with backache

Comment

We saw one yesterday in the garden. It was a bit slumped on a plant in the shade, so we moved it to a sunny patch. They do make me laugh, the way they wave a leg at you in annoyance. It must have warmed up and flown off as it wasn't there a bit later.
                http://inelegantgardener.blogspot.com

Comment

Big bumble bee flew into the conservatory today.

All my daffs in blossom, also some polyanthus, primula and crocus. Hycianths just beginning to open.

Wes, spring is definitely on the way.

And when your back stops aching,
                  And your hands begin to harden.
                  You will find yourself a partner,
                  In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

It was warmest yesterday (Saturday) and the first bumble of 2009 was spotted/heard in the conservatory paying a mercifully brief visit only (they usually spend for ever crashing against the glass roof with a loud thud giving me and presumably themselves an outsize headache how to get out). This one came in and went straight back out.

Because of various threats to bees (including bumbles) resulting in significant decline in numbers there are a number of national surveys underway which are grateful for reports of sightings - e.g. Google "bee survey UK" or for bumbles 2009 visit:
                    BeeWatch registration
                    b.

Comment

Not seen any bees yet but I have seen my first greenflies on the pansies!
                      Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

i haven't seen a single insect so far in canterbury...not even a spider

Comment

Big Bumble Bee here today having a buzz around....jacob
                          What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
                          Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Came home today from the butchers at about 4.30 and saw a huuuge girly? on the front wall of the house, it's painted white (the wall that is) and faced the setting sun so she was getting the last of the rays.

Just got home from a meal out (mackeral, pork belly and banana creme brulee for those who are interested) and she had gone. I always worry at this time of the year and want to feed them sugar or keep them warm. I spose the early ones get a head start on the years work but it's still chilly.
                            Nell

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                              Just spotted this big and lovely visitor Anyone else seen one yet?
                              Yep, they're all over my heather! On Saturday, when it was warm, I actually sat outside with a cuppa, just to listen to the bees 'singing' to me! Most were honey bees, but there was a wopping fat Bumble Bee there, too.

Comment

the we heard down the lottie is,well,still a buzzzing,looks like a large one,wondering if it a queen looking for a new home
                                sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X