No announcement yet.

Bye bye Victorian Farm

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS... and I'll really miss Peter Ginn (yum)...er, I mean the programme.

Comment

I'm gona miss this program, it was good! I wonder what will be on TV in it's place??
      Live like you never lived before!

Laugh Like you never laughed before!

Love like you never loved before!

One Love & Unity

http://iriejans.blogspot.com/

Comment

Has been a brilliant series made all the better for not having some no naught half wit celebrity as the narrator. Very brave decision in these celebrity obsessed times.

I now have the obligatory book that accompanies the series (also very good) and have ordered the DVD along with their other series 'Tales from the green valley', a similar project but set in the sixteen hundreds.
        It is the doom of man, that they forget.

Comment

OH said I would like it, so I turned it on half way through one week... to be confronted with eyeballs in jelly.
          So I turned it back off. Thought I had accidentally tuned into to 'I'm a Celebrity get me Out Of Here' instead lol

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
            Yup- it was a lovely series...very down to earth....clearly extremely hard work for the Victorians...but exceptionally interesting!
            As a teenager I would help at the open air museum traditionally harvesting and steam threshing etc the long straw wheat for thatching straw... I have many happy memories of weaving home on my pushbike at dusk full of cider and aching from real labour

Originally posted by ixi1456 View Post
            i watched a couple of episodes it was realy interesting and not much different from what happens now only the machinery has changed into engines..thanks for the book link
            I disagree entirely...modern methods are not the same at all...whilst huge aircon, satellite guided combines and tractors are quicker and comfier, they caused the demise of hedgerows and much of our native wildlife in favour of huge monoculture fields. They completely miss the sense of community for what is now a very isolating and dull profession.

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin Becki View Post
              PS... and I'll really miss Peter Ginn (yum)...er, I mean the programme.
              I'm right there, with ya, Becki! Tasty bit of crumpet - I mean, what a handsome chap!

Comment

They did another series prior to this, I think it was medievil/tudor and followed the farming back then. That was a good programme too.
                Best wishes
                Andrewo
                Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Originally posted by Paulottie View Post
                  As a teenager I would help at the open air museum traditionally harvesting and steam threshing etc the long straw wheat for thatching straw... I have many happy memories of weaving home on my pushbike at dusk full of cider and aching from real labour

I disagree entirely...modern methods are not the same at all...whilst huge aircon, satellite guided combines and tractors are quicker and comfier, they caused the demise of hedgerows and much of our native wildlife in favour of huge monoculture fields. They completely miss the sense of community for what is now a very isolating and dull profession.
                  Although you never hear about them, there ARE still small farms, run not-so-differently. Go visit a small sheep farm in a relatively remote area, Orkney for instance, and there will be echoes of the series. Arable farming has pretty much gone agri-business, but livestock much less so, at least in some areas. Sheep still have lambs much the same way, shearing differs only in the use of electric machines to drive the shears.....
                  Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I really loved this programme too. Was wondering what was going to happen to the cottage after they put so much effort into installing an oven and cleaning it up. It would be a shame if it stayed empty again for several years.
                    AKA Angie

Comment

While I am sure there are remote communities and a few smaller farms around that haven't been put out of business by the supermarkets. I referred more to arable farming and that sort of harvest home spirit portrayed in the show last night.. I've experienced both methods and they are poles apart.....perhaps I am just being a nostalgic Luddite yearning for some lost pastoral idyll....Mind you didn't much fancy that cloudy beer strained through rag in a gersunda.

Comment

Originally posted by selfraising View Post
                        I really loved this programme too. Was wondering what was going to happen to the cottage after they put so much effort into installing an oven and cleaning it up. It would be a shame if it stayed empty again for several years.
                        Don't quote me on this but I am sure it said at the beginning that as the main house is open to public the farm would be an added attraction, that was how they got all the farm equipment as it has some sort of museum.
                        HAPPY 'Growing My Own'
                        Dale

Comment

i really wanted to see this but was away when it started, so will head off to amazon as mentioned earlier in the thread...thanks for that!.
                          also will look at the downloadable book as mentioned earlier as well....i love the old books!.
                          Finding Home

Comment

We missed fist couple i think but really enjoyed the ones we did see, would be a great series to show in schools when studying victorian history, reminded me of a programme we had at school about a family during the war, it followed a family and used to cut back to black and white footage, HB said they watched it in P7! lol!

Comment

I missed the first couple as well but was hooked completely, absolutely brilliant and yep I'll miss the cheeky chappie (Peter) too. Ruth was great she seemed to really know her stuff and it was refreshing that they were all unknowns too.
                              Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Originally posted by daleclarke View Post
                                Don't quote me on this but I am sure it said at the beginning that as the main house is open to public the farm would be an added attraction, that was how they got all the farm equipment as it has some sort of museum.
                                You can actually visit the Victorian Farm The Acton Scott Historic Working Farm is open to the public April 15 - November 9, 2009.
                                Acton Scott Historic Working Farm, Church Stretton, Shropshire, Shropshire Attractions

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X