This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your Country Needs You!

Well done whatever you decide, you should feel very proud of being good enough to be asked (twice!). I would seriously look into the sponsorship thing. My firm (ok, my ex-employer now...) sponsored a local footie team. We gave them a few thousand pounds each season, they ran around with the firm's name everywhere. Maybe a vaguely related company - a dive school, or something?

You should do it. Your family will be so proud! Let us know how things go.
    I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Give it your best try pipscariad. There is nothing worse than finding yourself looking back wishing you had taken the chance when it was there. Contact the Western Telegraph and see if there is anything they can help with regarding fund raising - you never know, even just a feature in there might help. I know there is a website where you can give money to someone - my sister uses it when she does charity runs - but I can't remember the address and am not sure how it would work if the money was being raised to send a team somewhere but you could ask.

Best of luck with it.
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

Do as everyone else has said, get sponsorship and GO FOR IT! I'll sponsor you a fiver if that'll help
        My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Aw, shucks you lots, you've made me feel all fuzzy - if you know what I mean! I do feel as though maybe I need to explain a little bit more though - there are loads of boats competing from around the British Isles, not just 'my' one, so it's not exactly as if I'm representing the whole country, just our particular Rowing Club.... Sadly I'm not quite at that level yet .

However, I know you are all quite right in saying seize the opportunity, I'd say the same to someone else too. I've thought of little else since, believe me! I have explained to the organisers that money is tight, but alas there is nothing they can do, other than give me a detailed breakdown of the costs and how to keep them at a minimum. The slightly tricky part for me is that it's not the whole team that are struggling with the funds, so I would feel a bit awkward trying to go all out to raise the money when it was more or less a personal issue - after all, why should I get help with the finances if some didn't? Or am I worrying too much about that?

I'll keep you posted, and thanks for all your kind words, and offers of help - you are wonderful ! I have to say I am so, so tempted to say yes and worry about the money later - Just Do It, as they say!

Of course, if I do say yes, there is just the small matter of getting race fit fast, but then I do like a challenge...!
          Life is brief and very fragile, do that which makes you happy.

Comment

I used to do Yawl rowing in wooden clinker built boats (think it's pretty much the same - 4 oars, a cox, and a hefty great big boat!!), I know they do somehting similar in South West France (around Biarritz) and I have seen a similar type of rowing on the programme about the Island Parish (Scilly Isles?).

It is a great opportunity and these big meets were always great fun (there were the local regattas all summer long of the clubs in our own harbour (7) and then the wider county (add another 10 or so from the western end),) but the annual All Ireland races weekend was great crack. I am sure you would be able to sort out cheaper accomodation - hostel or self catering types - if you go hunting. You may even find that others are happy to go sharing cheaper digs - it ends up being almost a party in itself then.

The compostition of the team is important - our good crew stayed together for about 6 years until I moved away for work. We'd train occasionally with others if all couldn't get there, but it was soo much better when the ones who knew each other well and worked well together (understood each other, worked at the same pace, balanced out each side of the boat in terms of strength and weight - so many things apart from all pulling together literally as well as figuratively) could be inthe same boat at the same time. We could take out the really old, really heavy training boat and still beat the men's team in the really light and fast racing boat!!

What I am trying to say is that it would be a great weekend if you could go. There were always teams and individuals who could afford the nice hotels and easy trips to get to the venue, and others who were all squashed onto a really dodgy old bus and sleeping in sleeping bags on floors to make it work. But everyone always had a ball once they were there. (Mad idea - do you know anyone with a boat that you could borrow or bring you - sleep on board as well and transport/accomodation in one??!!). Definitely bring the family and make it a family event if that works - it is great fun and there's always plenty to do for "shore based" spectators.

Comment

What sort of amount are you talking about finance wise (I'm not offering btw just wondering)? The amount surely plays a part in can you afford it or whether you're likely to get funding? Are there 'Foundations' or charities that offer funding help? Or charities local to where you are that offer help for 'locals' or womens charities that offer funding for women to 'achieve' stuff? (That sounds a bit 'wifty' but I was thinking about the funding thats available for students/educational opportunities and some of them were very 'eclectic'). Good luck.
              Last edited by smallblueplanet; 10-02-2009, 10:41 AM.
              To see a world in a grain of sand
              And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Yes, I should have put in what it's likely to cost me, as I'm sure you're all wondering, and probably envisaging a much larger figure than it actually is! The cost would be about £300, which I know isn't a fortune by any means, but is still more than we can afford, sadly In my case it's a bit like 'do I go to this, or do we have a family holiday/not have to worry about the bill we've just had on the car etc, etc. Sadly the Isles of Scilly is not somewhere you can get to 'on the cheap', or indeed stay on likewise, which is why taking the family with me is pushing it. Ah well, enough, as I now sound like I'm whinging, sorry!!

I'll try to paste a link to the Clubs website for info to anyone who is interested in seeing what it's all about, but I've never done that before, so we'll see if I manage it...!

Welcome to Porthgain Rowing Club
                Life is brief and very fragile, do that which makes you happy.

Comment

Yes, go for it, yes, seek some kind of sponsorship (and ask the team organisers to approve the sponsorship idea, I bet it isn't really 'just you' who would struggle to fund it).

Once in a life time opportunities are not to be ignored for financial reasons. There is ALWAYS a way!
                  Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

This is a once in a lifetime experience. You ARE representing the country, albeit on a smaller scale and for one year only, it may mean a family holiday on the cheap, but it won't kill anyone and they will be immensely proud. What about a holiday for them in the South of Italy, where it's cheaper than Sicilly, with you travelling over for the competition for a couple of days? Is that doable? If I were your OH, I would understand.

Hope you get the money together, by whatever means (Barclays are doing ok, have you got a balaclava?).

Comment

I think you should do it.

It is possibly a once in a lifetime oppurtunity.

I would also contact local businesses and the paper etc to see if you can get some money.

Good Luck!

Comment

JUST DO IT by what ever mean you can, it will be an experience of a lifetime, you can always go on holiday next year or a short break this year.....dont miss an opportunity to do something yourself!

Why not email the editor of GYO mag and see if they will sponsor you? It would be brilliant to have one of our own on the open water.

Next year people will say where did you go on holiday last year, you can say we didnt cos I went representing my country..... memories for you xx

I hope you do it, keep us posted and good luck whatever you decide xx

I envy you
                        Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

I'll sponsor you £10.00 to get the ball rolling! Then you can tell potential sponsors that you've already got some sponsorship!
                          I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

£300 is achievable.
                            If you were my nephew (who is also trying to raise money for his hobby) I would say

1) do car-washing for cash
                            2) babysitting
                            3) litter-picking for neighbours (garden tidy up)
                            4) sell whatever you can on eBay (even home-grown plants)

You'll find a way, good luck to you
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Sell the children?!

Comment

If you can get a business to sponser you try and get more than you need personally so that you can say to the team that you have found sponsers for all of you therefore reducing the cost for everyone. I am sure a couple of big companys would do it or even a few small ones as any advertising these days is good.
                                Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                                and ends with backache

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X