my doggy is getting old :(

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scarey55 View Post
    ... I would certainly suggest a trip to the vet to make sure it is arthritis with her ...
    If the Vet puts her on Rimadyl it'll cost you about £45 a month, that's what my dog is on; it's an anti-inflamatory. I was sceptical at first, but he is better now than he was 18 months ago (and I am poorer lol).

The other thing you can try is Pernamax/Maxavita (Maxavita.com) which is Green-lipped Mussel extract. It works out much cheaper in the long run and can be bought without prescription. I don't feed it now, but when my dog's condition first started to deteriorate it really helped.
    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

i'm actually a bit more worried now, where her kidneys are, feels very swollen, and hard

now either i have just never noticed the bump either side, for the last 11 years, or she's got 2 lumps, and it does make her sit down very quick when you touch them, so now i'm thinking it's probably her kidneys ....... and come to think of it, she has been panting a fair bit lately when she's in the living room, she doesn't normally pant, and sh'e maybe been drinking a bit more noticeably for the last week or 2 now i think about it, and she's eating a lot ......... and now can't jump up. not looking good is it

gonna have to go to the vets on monday

Comment

Fingers crossed for you Hun, but as you say, best to get her checked out.
        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

well she's been a bit quiet tonight, but i think shes tired from all that snowball chasing but she just doesn't look right .... robs gonna try to lend me some cash to go to the vets with, if she'd been ill before i could have taken her to the rspca hospital tomorrow, but she's never been ill, typical ..... theres no way i can go to my vets, they charge you £2,000,000 for letting you through the door, and i just haven't got it and unless i can get a bank loan (very doubtful lol) , hoping the rspca might be a bit cheaper at least, and fingers crossed it's not something serious

Comment

although, come to think of it, i did take one of my animals there once many years ago, i'm just wondering if it was poppy ????

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
              The other thing you can try is Pernamax/Maxavita (Maxavita.com) which is Green-lipped Mussel extract.
              I took some of Green Lipped Mussel capsules once for my own joint pain ... apart from being non-veggie (I was desperate), it is absolutely the most vile thing I've ever eaten, or smelt. Holland & Barrett sell it.
              Last edited by Two_Sheds; 08-02-2009, 08:45 AM.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Lynda, why does Poppy need to have been ill before in order for you to take her to The RSPCA? The Vets where I work work at the local RSPCA clinic, and the only criteria the clinic has is that you can prove that you are on some kind of benefit. Just take proof with you to clinic and they should see you.
                The lumps you can feel may just be fatty lumps if they are both in the same position. My old dog has these, come to think of it so have I
                If you decide to go to the vets, ask to speak to their manager when you make the appointment and explain that money is a bit tight. They have a duty of care to see your pet and may be able to keep costs at a minimum or sort out a payment plan. I know we appreciate knowing in advance, and it saves the embarrasment of having to explain in a crowded waiting room if its already sorted.
                Good Luck.
                Do it! Life's too short

http://for-you-dad.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                  If the Vet puts her on Rimadyl it'll cost you about £45 a month, that's what my dog is on; it's an anti-inflamatory. I was sceptical at first, but he is better now than he was 18 months ago (and I am poorer lol).

The other thing you can try is Pernamax/Maxavita (Maxavita.com) which is Green-lipped Mussel extract. It works out much cheaper in the long run and can be bought without prescription. I don't feed it now, but when my dog's condition first started to deteriorate it really helped.
                  I give my elderly greyhound glucosamine, bought from the health food shop, she's jumping around like a puppy!
                  The thing to remember when giving dogs "human" medicines is that they metabilise much more slowly than humans so if the packet says take twice a day then once a day or even every other day is the rule.
                  I hope little dog is feeling better now. Eleven is no age at all for a terrier so, hopefully, it's something transient.

Comment

Originally posted by sallym View Post
                    Lynda, why does Poppy need to have been ill before in order for you to take her to The RSPCA? The Vets where I work work at the local RSPCA clinic, and the only criteria the clinic has is that you can prove that you are on some kind of benefit. Just take proof with you to clinic and they should see you.
                    The lumps you can feel may just be fatty lumps if they are both in the same position. My old dog has these, come to think of it so have I
                    If you decide to go to the vets, ask to speak to their manager when you make the appointment and explain that money is a bit tight. They have a duty of care to see your pet and may be able to keep costs at a minimum or sort out a payment plan. I know we appreciate knowing in advance, and it saves the embarrasment of having to explain in a crowded waiting room if its already sorted.
                    Good Luck.
                    it says on the website, they do sundays by appointment for previously registered pets, basically if you aren't already registered you have to wait till monday.... i'll ring them in the morning

Comment

vets are expensive.........duty of care does not really come into it, as with the bull terrier i found......unless there is money! I hope it all goes okay, if you need any help let me knowxx
                      Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

Aww poor pooch.
                        One of the other plot holders on my site had to put one of their doggies to sleep two Mondays ago the dog was 16 years old.
                        Hope your dog gets better soon.
                        My Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
                        Photo Album - http://www.flickr.com/photos/99039017@N00/

Comment

It might be she needs diaretics hun, our old lady needed them, if you cant afford them via the vets have a look for the herbal ones does he wee smell and is she having trouble going ?? if you flick her abdoman you might here a fluid rebound.
                          11 is young for a small dog our irishwolf hound is 12 and is like a daft puppy and the staffie cross is 13 and not slowing down ! but he had huge fat lump removed from his groin a few months back as it was getting in his way.
                          Hope she is ok ((((hug))))

Comment

Have you seen the vet yet Lynda, well not you 'Poppy' I mean?!
                            It could be that she has diabetes if she's drinking a lot, seems to be becoming more common in animals as well as humans these days & they can treat it, our neighbours old dog had it. It could just be that she's had the lumps & bumps & they're perfectly normal & you've not noticed them before because you weren't looking for them & she's just got a touch of arthritis as she's getting older.
                            Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

going on thursday, robs coming home wednesday night so he can come with me, and i get paid wednesday, she seems fine in herself, really, running round like a loon, eating everything, just the jumping up thing, she's getting up and down stairs fine, no wee smell ... yes i got on my hands and knees in the garden to sniff it no diarrhoea rpobably looking for things that arent there now lol

Comment

hmmm maybe she did pull a muscle or caught a cold! Good to hear she is being herselfxx keep us posted xx
                                Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X