its not going to plan but..

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• its not going to plan but..

You may remember me mentioning that my aunt, uncle and 17year old cousin moved to crete in Greece in January, have been catching up with them via email and tonight skype (now I got it set up.)
    The had originally planned to offer bike tours of the area, but it looks like this is going be harder to set up than they thought, as it needs to be licenced, my uncle is a trained cabinet maker and having had conversions with the lovely couple and their family that own the apartments they are renting its seems there is demand for good furniture they have been introduced to someone who is like a business estate agent and she showed them several workshops, one of these is on a small complex with a workshop that a small mechanic business uses and her grandfather has a large greenhouse that he grows veg in, turns out he is getting too old to keep this up and they have offered that to my aunt, who grew veg back here, the use of the greenhouse plus some land, the workshop for my uncle, she's spoken to the locals and the feedback seems to be that there is definately a market for a small nursery business with my uncle making good outdoor garden furniture and planters etc, especially to other ex-pats.
    So although its not the original plan its even better!! As my aunt kew she was going miss growing, she'll need to learn about flowers though as she only really grew veg but I'm sure if they put the work in it will be fine, now if only I could persuade HB to move I'd go work for her like a shot sounds like a great job

I hope your aunt and uncle are very successful Ailsasyl. The present is a very hard time to be setting up a new business and buyers are hard to find for every business.
    If I were you I'd stick with the day job til you see how it all goes.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Have no plans to move, HB at secondary school so wouldn't want to interupt that, with my scottish pale skin dont reckon I'd cope in the summer , lol! However the idea of spending my days planting and growing would be great!

Comment

Woodwork AND a greenhouse...do they want any help?

Comment

They seem really excited about it although scared too..... its one big adventure!

The greenhouse is huge she said it was a big industrial sized one like what some of our garden centres have!
          Last edited by ailsasyl; 06-02-2009, 07:08 PM.

Comment

It seems to be quite often the way of expats. They have the dreams to do something but can find that this just doesnt seem to work. The determined ones however will succeed if they really want to.
            I wish them all the best, and as Zazen said, "do they need any help?"
            Bob Leponge
            Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

just spoke to them again and there is also the possiblility of them managing the apartments they are in taking over the cleaning and booking etc as the owners, the woman in particulary has a problem with her leg an its getting a bit much for her, so it will give them another income!

Comment

Lucky things. Sounds brilliant, especially a horti business + extras. We've thought about it quite a few times in the Ionian - but like you, don't think I could cope with the heat. It's REALLY hot on Crete! I wish them every success.

Fran

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X