Aren't grapes lovely?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
    What about 'Yarn forward increase' and 'knitting into the front and back of a stitch' and 'work 2 stitches together through the back of loop' They may not be stitches as such, but my brain is struggling to get to grips with them

Maybe we should have a Grapes craft seminar Shirley & Seahorse for knitting tips, Flum and Bilbo Waggins for quilting, Two_Sheds for soft furnishings and other stitchery, lots of other crafty peeps on here, it'd be grand
    A 'yarn forward increase' means that you bring the wool towards yourself like for a purl stitch then knit the next stitch - it makes a lacy increase.

'knitting into the front and back of a stitch' - knit a stitch as normal but don't slide it off the left needle - instead, knit into the rear of the stitch. Makes an extra stitch without making a hole (my preferred increase method)

'work 2 stitches together through back of loop' - put right needle tip into backs of the next 2 stitches on the left needle and knit them together. This is for 'fashioned' decreases - an alternative is to slip the first stitch to the left needle without knitting it, knit the next stitch normally, then lift the slipped stitch over the knitted one and off the needle (like when you cast off). [Knitting 2 stitches together has the same result but if you look closely at the resulting 'sloped' decrease it will go the wrong way for a fully fashioned finish.] (look at me thinking I know what I am on about)

Hope that is clearer to read back than it feels
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Nicely put, shirl explains it perfectly, practice makes perfect as they say, if you are just starting stick to easy things then try something small that wont take too long, I used to find I couldnt knit quick enough and got bored. I once knitted two of my sons matching jumpers with fairisle around the neck. I found the pattern yesterday and thought ' how on earth did I do that '. I also made a fancy girls dress and coat with bobbles and lace pattern. Keep knitting folks wish I could still. If any one wants patterns I have loads especially childrens.
      Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
      and ends with backache

Comment

I also think that was a lovely gesture. I do think this is a very friendly forum. ages ago i asked about square foot gardening (for a school plot) and was sent a book on the subject. My group has harvested peas, potatoes etc and has managed to see the project all the way through thanks to that kind bit of generosity. I also think that people are very generous with their advice and i know that a) I wouldn't be looking at getting my own chickens without all your advice and b) that my enthusiasm and discovery of all things green would not have happened if people were unkind about the loads of silly questions that I've asked. So, I say a big thank you to all out there!

Comment

The 'Yarn Forward Increase' is one to practice I think But the others make sense
          Thanks Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
            A 'yarn forward increase' means that you bring the wool towards yourself like for a purl stitch then knit the next stitch - it makes a lacy increase.

'knitting into the front and back of a stitch' - knit a stitch as normal but don't slide it off the left needle - instead, knit into the rear of the stitch. Makes an extra stitch without making a hole (my preferred increase method)

'work 2 stitches together through back of loop' - put right needle tip into backs of the next 2 stitches on the left needle and knit them together. This is for 'fashioned' decreases - an alternative is to slip the first stitch to the left needle without knitting it, knit the next stitch normally, then lift the slipped stitch over the knitted one and off the needle (like when you cast off). [Knitting 2 stitches together has the same result but if you look closely at the resulting 'sloped' decrease it will go the wrong way for a fully fashioned finish.] (look at me thinking I know what I am on about)

Hope that is clearer to read back than it feels
            Well I understood it<g>, but the only thing that stops me knitting is lack of persistence (and mediocre quality in what few items I ever finish). I have the same problem with crochet, (I refuse to crochet those horrible little squares to be sewn together!) although the quality is a BIT better than my knitting, but it takes even longer to get results, so more likely to quit.
            I'm better with the simpler aspects of wood carving, but not got anywhere I can make a mess in this house, so rather out of practice.
            CoraxAurata (my growed up baby, in case you hadn't figured it out) used to be good at painting, but I think she's been too busy to do any for a while.
            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Hillary, try filet crochet for making things that grow a bit quicker. The foundation rows can drive you nearly mad but after that it is great fun.
              Happy Gardening,
              Shirley

Comment

i wish i knew how to cast off properly!!
                Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

That is so lovely! Well done, Shirl!

Comment

Originally posted by allotmentlady View Post
                    i wish i knew how to cast off properly!!
                    I described that (I think) in SarzWix's thread titled 'I can do it'
                    Happy Gardening,
                    Shirley

Comment

Aaawww, I adore this place, love ya Shirl, and Aunty Flum of course
                      Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

What a nice thread! Well done Shirley, & Flum for giving her credit & to Flum's mum who sounds lovely too!
                        Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Message for Shirley from Flum's Mum - she was chuffed to hear that you are in Wales - she was in what was then Monmouthshire - heaven knows what it is now- in the war as a land girl. Interesting stories - especially about the Americans stationed nearby!
                          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                            Message for Shirley from Flum's Mum - she was chuffed to hear that you are in Wales - she was in what was then Monmouthshire - heaven knows what it is now- in the war as a land girl. Interesting stories - especially about the Americans stationed nearby!
                            I think Monmouthshire is now Gwent Flummery. A fair run from us - but then everywhere is when you live at the edge of the world there used to be an American base near us (well 20ish miles away) at Brawdy.
                            Happy Gardening,
                            Shirley

Comment

Can only echo the well dones .... and say again what a fantastic place this is, inhabited by THE most lovely peeps
                              Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                                I think Monmouthshire is now Gwent Flummery. A fair run from us - but then everywhere is when you live at the edge of the world there used to be an American base near us (well 20ish miles away) at Brawdy.
                                I think anywhere that was countrified was a great adventure after growing up in the industrial heart of Manchester. She tells a brilliant tale about one of the girls 'liberating' some onions from the farm. They were all as sick as dogs after the Christmas dinner when they were used as stuffing. One of the girls, being a keen grow-your-owner, decided to plant them and get seed for next year.

Guess? They were daffs!
                                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X