how quickly you run to fat!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
    I'm grateful we don't have any bathroom scales, so I can't see how much I've gained from 5 weeks sat on my butt...
    Same here, well, kind of. I'm still exercising, but eating for three! I actually need some scales at the mo to monitor the weight of Suzi, the kitty with liver failure, but it involves weighing me and her, then me alone. Scared!

Comment

I had the radio on in the car this morning, the presenter announced a song by 'Girls Aloud' then together with a colleague they said loudly 'eat something.'

Mad me laugh, until I realised I'd love to be that slim again, but never will be 'til I'm in me box lol!
      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by janeyo View Post
        I was a big baby (alledgedl looked about 3 months old at birth). Do you think this is why I have struggled forever to get it off? Was chubby baby, toddler, never lost the puppy fat etc.....
        I think it's more nurture than nature - if your mum "fed you up" all your young life.
        Mr Sheds is 4 stone overweight. He says he put it all on 3 years ago, but I see his belly was starting when he was in his 20s.
        When we eat at his mum's house, she gives everyone big servings, and seconds, and pudding. Cream, cheese, lots of it. Sure, she loves them, but ... they've all got high blood pressure and FiL has had a heart attack.

I'm not blaming her, but that generation seems very resistant to the healthy eating message. They are wedded to the idea that the 1950s diet was a healthy one - but forgetting that people walked or cycled everywhere and did manual work to burn off all those calories.
        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 17-01-2009, 09:43 AM.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

My older brother was a small baby, and he got fed the same as me... and he was skinny as a whippet til he hit 30, now he got a bit of a beer paunch.
          So dead opposite to me!

When mum was having me she had 2 months enforced bedrest as they told her I had stopped growing, the hospital chef used to come up and make her 3 meals a day! Ask her what she wanted.
          This was before scans were widely available...... and I came out HUGE! lol

I therefore blame the docs!

Comment

I want to lose some weight - whenever I weigh myself on those weight/height thingies, they print out a little paper saying my ideal weight is two stone less.

I think if I lost one stone I'd be OK - I'd just like to look reasonably thin in clothes, also would love to be able to tie all clothes without feeling uncomfortable!
            My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by maytreefrannie View Post
              ... whenever I weigh myself on those weight/height thingies, they print out a little paper saying my ideal weight is two stone less ...
              Jeeez, you're lucky - when I get on one of those machines it says 'Sorry, no coach parties!' lol
              Last edited by Glutton4...; 17-01-2009, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                Jeeez, you're lucky - when I get on one of those machines it says 'Sorry, no coach parties!' lol

LOL , I get "only one at a time please!"

Comment

Originally posted by coomber View Post
                  LOL , I get "only one at a time please!"
                  when my OH stands on one, you just see a puff of smoke at the back..........
                  Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

When I was 20, I was UNDERweight, as I had been from a child. After kids arrived I started putting on weight, and since they grew up and left home I have discovered the truth about "dietting makes you fat". You eat less to lose weight, but your body gets used to less, so you stop losing weight. Eventually it gets so that the only way the weight goes down is to NEVER have ANY of those 'norty-but-nice' treats. That is SO depressing, and then you comfort-eat, and the weight goes on faster than it came off!
                    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
                      ..."dietting makes you fat". You eat less to lose weight, but your body gets used to less, so you stop losing weight. Eventually it gets so that the only way the weight goes down is to NEVER have ANY of those 'norty-but-nice' treats. That is SO depressing, and then you comfort-eat, and the weight goes on faster than it came off!
                      Yup - welcome to the real world - not fair huh!

I've worked with skinny people who eat three times as much as me, and all junk food, and never put on an ounce. I just hope it catches up with 'em lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
                        You eat less to lose weight, but your body gets used to less, so you stop losing weight. Eventually it gets so that the only way the weight goes down is to NEVER have ANY of those 'norty-but-nice' treats. That is SO depressing, and then you comfort-eat, and the weight goes on faster than it came off!
                        Exercise speeds up your metabolism, fasting/dieting slows it down. You need to do both to lose weight long-term.
                        Muscle burns more cals than fat too, so toning up with weights will help. Or vigorous digging/lifting/sawing kind of activities to tone up your muscles and lose the bingo wings
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                          Exercise speeds up your metabolism, fasting/dieting slows it down. You need to do both to lose weight long-term.
                          Muscle burns more cals than fat too, so toning up with weights will help. Or vigorous digging/lifting/sawing kind of activities to tone up your muscles and lose the bingo wings
                          I've never had a problem with surplus weight on arms or legs (or the derriere). While there may be a LITTLE on there, it doesn't notice. Mine all seems to go on the tum (and these days the beginnings of a double chin, but it is still 'beginnings', I've seen much worse on people who weigh rather less than me). The amount of 'overweight' I have, in such limited areas, really surprises me! No garden worth the name, but the dogs get 2 walks a day, and there is a significant amount of 'walking about' some carrying moderately heavy things, in my work.

Comment

Thinking back, the 1950s diet WAS good. The only problem was that when rationing came off, people wanted to spoil their children with things that hadn't been available for years. We also used a lot more of our calories to keep warm, sleeping in bedrooms with ice on the window!
                            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                              Thinking back, the 1950s diet WAS good. The only problem was that when rationing came off, people wanted to spoil their children with things that hadn't been available for years. We also used a lot more of our calories to keep warm, sleeping in bedrooms with ice on the window!
                              We were pretty active too. I was a child in the '50s, and 'playtime' meant outside unless the weather was truly horrible.

Comment

True. I can't recall the last time I heard a child called in for bedtime. They had to shout us in every night- we were out playing games that always seemed to require tear-assing around the place.
                                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X