X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ta for enlightening me
    Stacey x ♫

Comment

many moons ago,when i was a little girl,i can just about remember the gold fish,if we took a few rags out to the cart,we got a gold fish,it was a long time ago,lol
      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Ah, but in those days the goldfish were REAL gold
        I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

ok..... maybe birmingham is in the dark ages, but we have had the scrap men come round ever since i was wee and still do now (at 21) although i dont live there anymore.

They used to drive around with a van (like a small removal van) and blowing a short burst of tune down a battered trumpet/cornet. Nowadays i notice they have upgraded to a speaker system which has the trumpet/cornet sound bite on a loop, but they still give the odd call of 'any old irrrrrrrrrrroooon...'

they do it round my grandparents on the opposite side of birmingham too! didnt realise it was such a relic, thought most places still had them!

Comment

Round here they drive round in a 7.5 ton flatback wagon and will take just about anything metal including scrap cars.
            I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Virtually every Sunday morning around here you can hear "Yenny yole scra pion. Old washers and coooooooooooooookers" They never give anything in return though
              My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Here's an old cooker!
                YouTube - Fanny Cradock Cooks For Christmas- Petits Fours Pt. 1
                The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                Brian Clough

Comment

Cor...look at that eye -level grill!!!
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                    Cor...look at that eye -level grill!!!

those grills made the best ever cheese on toast though
                    The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Mum View Post
                      those grills made the best ever cheese on toast though
                      Only for melting the cheese, the best toast is done on an open coal fire with lashings of butter
                      The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                      Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by Chillimad View Post
                        Round this neck of the woods, the scrapmen all live in shiney new caravans, towed by shiney new mercedes and trucks
                        It`s like around here as well.
                        I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Comment

The 'rag & bone' men still come round here too, they shout something but it's so mangled that you can't tell what it is! I remember begging mum for anything to give to the rag bone man when I was little & you used to get goldfish or a china cup or plate in exchange, eee bah gum... the good old days!
                          Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

When I was a nipper they gave out the goldfish, but they always died......sniff
                            WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

our rag and bone man came and took away a cast iron bath i'd ripped out.
                              it took two people a lot of huffing and puffing and subsequent backache to get it out of my house and i was gobsmacked when t'rag'n'bone man casually lifted it and threw it on the van BY HIMSELF
                              amazing

Comment

I remember the rag and bone man coming down my Nan's road in Dagenham when I was about 4-5. We had to ask who it was an were fascinated by the fact it was a horse and cart.
                                Kirsty b xx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X