Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder why you got her?
    Wasn't she a wrong'un from the off?
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Have you tried giving her some toys to play with? I know it sounds daft but give her some balls to chase, mine used to love that. Also chewing on chunks of wood really helps. It does sound as if she has a problem though, as if she's protecting herself. She may have an injury.

Comment

I usually pick em up by the back legs and give them a karate (rabbit) chop on the back of the neck. Either that or wack it on the back of the neck with a blunt instrument, hand brush small wooden cosh/branch even the edge of a heavy book!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I have the answer B S D Brussel Sprout Deficiency majic Rabbit food because it think's you are a big Brussel Sprout so there you go the answer .
          Joking apart if you get a mate for your Rabbit get one the same sex because if you introduce a Buck into a Doe's domain she will kill him i learnt this a long time ago when i used to breed Californian's and New Zealand's for meat ..jacob
          What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
          Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Female rabbits (does) are more likely to be aggressive if they aren't speyed because of the urge to mate. When I bred rabbits I had a lovely doe, who whilst pregnant or looking after her young, was fine, but during 'rest' periods she was really vicious. My poor buck really ran the gauntlet when it was time to mate. (Even though I always put her into bucks hutch!) She might calm down if she is speyed, although it depends how much is now 'learned' behaviour and a habit now. Do you know how old she is? In my experience the problem usually arises when they are around 9 months or so. My parents, sisters and myself all bred rabbits at different times, so I did get to know quite a lot about them.
            Getting another one probably would make the problem worse, she may well fight to protect her territory and you would have double the trouble. Neutered bucks make the best pairings for pet rabbits, but either sex will work if they are siblings or put together when they are young.
            If you really feel you can't cope with her it would be better to contact a re-homing centre, either the RSPCA or a local one, than to continue and feel increasingly resentful at her behaviour.
            Last edited by BarleySugar; 28-12-2008, 06:23 PM.
            I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
            Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

mmm dont know answer to this one.
              neighbour has one of them rabbits , she use to joke with us that she had to hit it with a stick ,then give it its feed , the problem was solved a few weeks later when it chewed its way out ,maybe thats why it was aggresive , didnt want the hole it was creating to be discovered.
              Hope your hand gets better Lynda
              Take photographs today because tommorow you might not have

Together everyone achieves more

Comment

well, look at it like this-there are lots of nice rabbits out there that need rehoming. Some rabbits are very aggressive, my dad had to kill one of ours that went for the kids - he just held it by back legs and broke its neck really quickly - said it was much more cruel to lug it to vets and get it injected. You don't bite the hand that feeds you.!

Comment

Sorry to hear about your hand it sounds painful. I just stuck a pin in my thumb sowing up the curtains in the new house so I feel for you. Hope it gets better soon
                  Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

Having bred ad show rabbits for over 15 years and had some pretty nasty new zealand whites and poles i would say you will never stop her bitting !!! one way not to get bitten is to put a sliding door into the cage so you can shut her in whilst you feed her or use a large platic flower pot on her head.
                    Hubby was well trained i killing rabbits and held them by the back legs till the stopped movig ad hit them with a crowbar behind the ears hard ! one hit should do it if you can not do this cleanly take her to the vets to be put to sleep please !!!
                    Over may years judging and showig i have had may rabbits take chunks out of me even through 3 layers of clothing !! and it flippin hurts.
                    Dont pass her on to someone else and putting her with another will cause you so much stress !!
                    If you are scared of her you wil always be worried by her.

Comment

This behaviour is quite normal and common in female rabbits. People have this image of rabbits as cute cuddly fluffy little things where in reality they can be very aggressive fighters.

Female rabbits can be very territorial over there hutch/cage. Opening the door and putting your hand in the cage or near food bowls or even just walking past tends to be the trigger. They then launch them selves at you boxing with their front legs or putting their ears back and charging with teeth ready. They are defending their 'warren' from invaders - you.

Neutering tends to greatly improve/solve this issue as it takes away the hormones that are driving the urge to defend her nest. I guess you could think of it like having permanent PMT!

There is no reason to kill her over this. If you don't feel able to cope with the behaviour then there are people that can help Try the society for Abandoned Animals - The Society For Abandoned Animals they take it a lot of rabbits and will be able to arrange neutering and finding her an experienced home.

Tamsin

Comment

i have had rabbits all my life, i have had grumpy ones and ones that are territorial over their hutches, but i have never had one before that actually seeks you out to bite you, she literally flys through the air at you, even when she's not in her cage ...... i have never managed to not tame one so at least you can enjoy it's company even if it is the other side of the room...... she really is aggressive, if it was just in the cage, i could deal with it, but it's all the time.

when i went to pick her up, the woman had only said thay she'd got her a couple of weeks before from a friend for her daughter, who really wasn't interested ...... with hindsight, that might have been a bit of a fib. ...... she was 8 weeks when i got her, so is now 13 weeks, she just seems too young to be this aggressive, when i went to collect her, the woman already had her in her arms, and i took her and she was dead sweet and cuddly ....... till i got her home and she got over the shock of moving ..... guess i'll drag her to the vets, and see what they think, i'm completely out of ideas, all the recommended 'treatments just don't seem to work, and if anything i think she's actually worse now........

now you just know i ain't gonna be able to bash her over the head with a crowbar ....... and' i'm more likely to read watership down to her than kill her with it lol ...... i do like rabbit pie though

Comment

I think she may be better behaved if she was spayed & possibly lived outdoors but I wouldn't move her outside yet in this weather. I'd take her to the vet's for an opinion though. I had a big white rabbit when I was young & although she wasn't very friendly she never went for me. She lived outdoors all year round in her hutch & I used to let her out each day to have a supervised run around the garden & she seemed quite happy. Yours possibly sees you as a rival or someone who is keeping her prisoner indoors & she is trying to make her escape!
                          Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

I wouldn't have another rabbit. I had one, once, and it was horrible, like yours. Defied all attempts at taming (and I've managed to hand-tame budgies, tiels, guinea pigs, dogs and Jasper Parrot who is as vicious as they come).

My brother has a nasty rabbit too ~ was fine at first, but became increasingly aggressive.

I don't understand why they continue to be popular pets. Guinea pigs are so much nicer and more placid.
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Don't try it with this one!
                              YouTube - Rabbit VS snake most viewed
                              Last edited by bubblewrap; 28-12-2008, 11:10 PM.
                              The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                              Brian Clough

Comment

Or this one!
                                YouTube - Holy Grail - Killer Bunny
                                The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                                Brian Clough

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X