Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seems there are people out there with taste after all.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Jeff Buckley version is certainly lovely. But this song always makes me think of Shrek
    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
      The Jeff Buckley version is certainly lovely. But this song always makes me think of Shrek
      aw shoot i wish you hadn't said that!!! gonna have to watch it again later now
      Vive Le Revolution!!!
      'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
      Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
        this is one of my favorite songs ever, love all the versions of it esp This Mortal Coils version with Elizabeth Frazer's vocals

as for the Xfactor stuff - don't care really, yes JB's version is great and the debate will rage on but at the end of the day the lemmings will buy whatever dross is realeased and it will be number one, has done for the last four years and will do whilst this show is being aired and is timed to finnish a week or so before Xmas.

As for the RnB warbling, hate it, but then my DD loves it, its what makes us all different and at least I have the radio controls on the steering wheel in the car
        Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
        Bob Dylan

Comment

Each to their own
          I'm not fond enough of any of them to listen to them on repeat on the radio for the next couple of weeks! Making it into 'a chart battle' will just get all of them played too much, IMHO. If the Jeff Buckley one is being pushed, then I guess 6Music won't even be safe from it

Comment

was gutted that she won and has been able to murder one of my all time greatest songs ..... not happy.

Comment

Originally posted by andi&di View Post
              You'd think with the amount of supposedly talented peeps behind the X Factor,they'd be able to write her a lil ditty of her own to perform!
              My sentiments exactly
              Kirsty b xx

Comment

I've already got Leonard Cohen's version, Jeff Buckley's version and Rufus Wainright's version...and have had the first 2 for some considerable time. I believe it was the Rufus version used in Shrek - although i've not seen that.

When I heard this being warbled from the front room the other week I went a bit mental...a bit like when they did the BBC version of 'Perfect Day'...such songs should not be trounced out like that - purely for promotional reasons.

mutter, mumble, winge and whine...and a bah humbug for good luck.

Comment

Rhythm & Blues(R&B) This is the real thing!
                  YouTube - Big Joe Turner from "Rhythm and Blues Revue
                  The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                  Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                    I believe it was the Rufus version used in Shrek - although i've not seen that.
                    I thought so too, but a friend of mine (film buff extraordinare) looked it up and said it was someone else - can't remember who now. Something Drake maybe...
                    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                      Making it into 'a chart battle' will just get all of them played too much, IMHO. If the Jeff Buckley one is being pushed, then I guess 6Music won't even be safe from it
                      Gawd bless CD players/iPods/MP3 players.

I've made myself a nice 80s compilation to get me through Christmas. It includes Baltimora, Mental As Anything (live it up!), Murrayhead (One night in Bangkok) and many more. I'll be a happy bunny (no relation...) and plan to take my iPod shopping, to avoid 'lift' music!

Comment

O.K., if none of you like Alex's version I'm going to campaign for k.d. Lang's version to get to number 1! She's a fantastic singer. There have been about 100 versions of Hallelujah recorded so what's wrong with one more, Leonard Cohen will be rubbing his hands together as he gets paid whoever sings it & as he must have to give permission he can't be all that fussy as there have been some very dodgy versions. Here's a link to K.D. singing it.
                        YouTube - K.D. Lang sings Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
                        Last edited by SueA; 18-12-2008, 04:12 PM.
                        Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                          I thought so too, but a friend of mine (film buff extraordinare) looked it up and said it was someone else - can't remember who now. Something Drake maybe...
                          According to the Times Rufus Wainwright recorded it for Shrek but in the actual film in the end it was the John Cale version which was used.

Comment

Originally posted by SueA View Post
                            O.K., if none of you like Alex's version I'm going to campaign for k.d. Lang's version to get to number 1! She's a fantastic singer. There have been about 100 versions of Hallelujah recorded so what's wrong with one more, Leonard Cohen will be rubbing his hands together as he gets paid whoever sings it & as he must have to give permission he can't be all that fussy as there have been some very dodgy versions. Here's a link to K.D. singing it.
                            YouTube - K.D. Lang sings Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah

Hmmm...I think sadly that may not be the case - Leonard's trusty manager (who was convicted of stealing his entire fortune) - also advised him to sell the rights to many songs, and it is believed that Hallelujah was one of them...

I also like kd Lang - amazing voice. I love Drag - great album.
                            I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

I hope he does get something from it. The Times article said the biggest beneficiary from the battle for number one would be Leonard Cohen so I thought he must be getting paid but then I suppose you shouldn't believe everything you read in the papers (!), it did say his former manager allegedly swindled him out of $10 million that should have been his pension fund though!

Comment

He probably will still be the biggest beneficiary no matter what - more people have discovered his music this year thanks to Hallelujah and Glastonbury than ever. Can't do him any harm!
                                I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X