No announcement yet.

Grrrrrrr, freecycle being to PC!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Read Peter's post, you're missing the point - can you not imagine that others might like to put please, but stick to the rules because it makes it easier for everyone not just themselves?
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      Anything like Freecycle needs some rules, they are a standard to judge by.
      Added to which there are only a limited number of characters allowed in Freecycle message headers, so keep it factual and brief, the courtesies can be reserverd for the body of the message.
      When you signed up you would have been told the rules.
      If you don't like them then leave.

Following the logic being expressed here to its logical conclusion could be fun, "I don't like the stupid rule that I should pay for goods in shops. My mates and I had a vote and it was 100% to not pay. No, honest, Officer....."

My three local freecycles are full of people who do not understand "Only one Wanted per person per month." and some of them are not easily pleased either .

We also had one person who offered the same item twenty-one times over nine months, together with a variety of Wanted's, DOH.
      I fully agree that rules are needed, which is why i suggested campaigning to get the rules changed, i don't think that common courtesy should be against 'the rules' just that the rules should be adapted to allow them.

for instance, in my house its a 'rule' that if you don't say please or thankyou, you dont get what you asked for
      Vive Le Revolution!!!
      'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
      Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

Originally posted by Novice Gardener View Post
        Peter, yes, I agree that it is a good idea to have rules, but surely a rule that states that you cannot say please incase those that don't say please are made to feel rude is just nonsense??
        well NG i get your point, if the point was lack of characters, no room for the words, then maybe there would be a point, but to deny someone good manners in case they upset someone who has none IS ridiculous.
        Vive Le Revolution!!!

Comment

Yes, I can "imagine" that people might like to put please but dont, what I'm saying is that surely no one should be penalised for saying please. Its a basic surely that every person uses curtesy (I've probably spelt that wrong before someone pulls me up!), and I really can't see how a widely used site like freecycle would prefer people not to say please in the title of their posts.

Comment

Originally posted by BrideXIII View Post
            well NG i get your point, if the point was lack of characters, no room for the words, then maybe there would be a point, but to deny someone good manners in case they upset someone who has none IS ridiculous.
            If you please Bride, that is the main point, the body of your message can be as flowery, verbose and affusively polite as you please, but let everyone try that in the header and your web-mail inbox will be unreadable.

In mine there is room for
            "[Group Name] Offered: Various pieces of chipboard / contiboard - Col"
            which on opening up the individual e-mail reads
            "[Group Name] Offered: Various pieces of chipboard / contiboard - Colchester"

Now do you want to scan your inbox and delete all the items you have no interest in, or do you have the time to open up each and every one individually to see if it is a/. something you are interested in and b/. where in the area it is?

One today had "Wanted" repeated three times so I missed the "eater sofa" after "Table and chairs and a 3s" until I opened that e-mail.

Thank you for reading.
            Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
            Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
            I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
              If you please Bride, that is the main point, the body of your message can be as flowery, verbose and affusively polite as you please, but let everyone try that in the header and your web-mail inbox will be unreadable.

In mine there is room for
              "[Group Name] Offered: Various pieces of chipboard / contiboard - Col"
              which on opening up the individual e-mail reads
              "[Group Name] Offered: Various pieces of chipboard / contiboard - Colchester"

Now do you want to scan your inbox and delete all the items you have no interest in, or do you have the time to open up each and every one individually to see if it is a/. something you are interested in and b/. where in the area it is?

One today had "Wanted" repeated three times so I missed the "eater sofa" after "Table and chairs and a 3s" until I opened that e-mail.

Thank you for reading.
              and i get your point, if it is a lack of space for characters then as you say, all well and good, but.......... that's not what NG was told was the reason for the deletion/edit, if it had have been maybe it wouldn't have annoyed so much
              NG was told it was so that others that hadn't used 'please' wouldn't appear rude!
              if it was due to lack of space, best to just say so, then NOONE gets offended.
              Vive Le Revolution!!!

Comment

At least the Mod had the good manners to let you know WHY you can't use good manners NG!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

relax NG, i got banned for trying to give stuff away on freecycle .........
                  http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

I actually had a nice FreeCycle experience, yesterday. Somebody was re-offering a Yukka plant, I asked for it (the only person to do so!), collected it in the evening from a lovely lady and came on to write a thank you message to see she'd thanked ME for being so prompt and nice! Can't fault that (and we used lots of pleases in our correspondence, so ner!).

I agree that for space reasons, it makes sense, but to say 'it makes the others seem rude' is just ridiculous!

Comment

A few things, firstly, how an earth did Farmer Gyles get banned? What on earth were you trying to give away?

Secondly, it's much better to keep the titles as short and to the point as possible, there is no need for please, thank you, eternally grateful or anything else there but plently of room in the message. Like somebody has already said, some of the messages can be very difficult to work out what they're about, there are simple rules for how you post, it's not difficult to follow. Am always amazed by the number of people who don't seem to be able to follow these, find the OFFERED - LOADS OF STUFF / VARIOUS ones particularly annoying, not quite the same issue but still annoying that somebody hasn't got the courtesy to do it properly.
                      Last edited by Alison; 17-12-2008, 02:58 PM.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Manners maketh man...and woman.

I couldn't not say 'please' and 'thank you'.....it just wouldn't be right to me, whatever 'rules' other people want to make up. If you have to be concise, fair enough, but to not do so in order that it doesn't make people who don't express common courtesy feel bad...pah!

Red x
                        Last edited by crazy_red; 17-12-2008, 05:41 PM.

Comment

I'm all for please and thank you Novice Gardener but I think you're misreading what the mod said.
                          What she said was the rules said there should be no please in the title and by puting it there it might make the people who stuck to the rules look rude. That's a bit different from the interpretation you're puting on it.
                          If you want to use Freecycle then I think you have to go with their rules.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Freecycle drives me mad. I need a dishwasher, my kids need a laptop/ds lite/car/widescreen telly. As for lack of manners- don't get me started

Comment

I tried offering things on Freecycle a couple of months ago but my listings never appeared and when I tried to find out why, I couldnt get any response from anyone. Had to give up and took the stuff down the dump.
                              Tammy x x x x
                              Fine and Dandy but busy as always

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

Stay at home Mum (and proud of it) to Bluebelle(8), Bashfull Bill(6) and twincesses Pea & Pod (2)!!!!

Comment

Me personally, I got a 6x12ft Greenhouse off freecycle, so REALLY cannot complain, However don't even get me started on the WANTED posts... (One of the better 1's was requesting someone give a new Megane to them as she was pregnant and wanted a bigger car...Doh) but if I wanted say a Sander, and I put:
                                WANTED Please - Sander any Type

I see no reason why manners cannot be there.... It's short, concise, polite AND to the point. If I can fit a please in there, why should that make a difference?
                                Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X