X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by happybunny View Post
    Stacey usually happy

A pint of Smiles is my drink!
    Nice drink I'm on Roaring Meg(5.5%) at moment.
    Last edited by bubblewrap; 08-12-2008, 06:42 PM.
    The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
    Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
      Who's gonna do that then?
      well if they can teach children to be 'happy' in class, can they not teach parents 'life skills' in evening classes?

or do you think we should just abandon an entire generation or two that have been totally let down by the education system? write them off, remove their children from their care, and hope to do better in the future?

bad parenting can perpetuate bad parenting, i am lucky, i learned from a parent that knew she had been taught badly by hers.
      But you can't just write off people because they haven't been taught to do it right.
      Last edited by BrideXIII; 08-12-2008, 06:55 PM.
      Vive Le Revolution!!!
      'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
      Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

Originally posted by BrideXIII
        ...or do you think we should just abandon an entire generation or two that have been totally let down by the education system?...
        I don't think that at all, nor did I suggest it, but then I think the report,

A major review of the curriculum for England's primary schools suggests that six broad "areas of learning" could replace individual subjects.
        which is nothing to do with teenagers, sounds an interesting step forward towards teaching younger children a more holistic curriculum.
        To see a world in a grain of sand
        And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
          I don't think that at all, nor did I suggest it, but then I think the report,
          A major review of the curriculum for England's primary schools suggests that six broad "areas of learning" could replace individual subjects.

which is nothing to do with teenagers, sounds an interesting step forward towards teaching younger children a more holistic curriculum.
          and every time they do this, our children end up with a lower standard of education , its the same old rubbish every time, which has produced 2 generations of many people with no skills, no real education and no hope of better!!

we will have to agree to disagree on this.

I don't want to see a holistic curriculum, i want to see one that educates a child well enough to be able to take their place in society, earn a decent living wage, and make a proper contribution to the society they live in, and at the same time, learn the life skills that are needed to survive , reading, writing , maths, cooking, basic skills like wiring a flippin plug and household budgeting, all of which was taught at school when i went, none of which is properly taught now.
          Last edited by BrideXIII; 08-12-2008, 07:08 PM.
          Vive Le Revolution!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BrideXIII
            ...I don't want to see a holistic curriculum, i want to see one that educates a child well enough to be able to take their place in society...
            Yes, I see that a holistic curriculum means that won't happen.

Comment

Schools have nothing to do with education but turning out willing slaves to service the capitalist system.
              Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
                Schools have nothing to do with education but turning out willing slaves to service the capitalist system.
                all prettily wrapped up in 'concern' , they want to scrap maths , history and science!!! and teach them healthly living instead.
                I am all for teaching healthy living, but not at the expense of a 'real' education.

what have we then to look forward to? a generation of children that are not obese, can work a 15 hour day without getting ill, but can't get a job cos they can't add up? or fill in a form, know NOTHING about history and it's lessons, and have to rely on foriegn countries inhabitants to make breakthoughs in medical treatments?

wonderful,hope i am not alive to see how THIS turns out.
                Vive Le Revolution!!!

Comment

'AREAS OF LEARNING'

understanding English, communication and languages

mathematical understanding; scientific and technological understanding

scientific and technological understanding

human, social and environmental understanding

understanding physical health and well-being

understanding the arts and design

Comment

Fine sentiments, post it again in ten years and we will all be able to see the results.
                    Vive Le Revolution!!!

Comment

I noticed understanding is the operative word NOTuse I understand English but I'm no Dylan Thomas.
                      Brian Clough

Comment

I'd like to see where the money will come from .
                        i'll give you an example -
                        Few months ago I was told that due to the governments "new" approach to healthy living that the school was setting up a veg patch/ allotment.
                        No problem said I wheres it going to be? They said down there!-

As you look at the pic the bottom of the hill faces north and is surrounded by trees . I said don't bother it's north facing, sheltered from the sun, is a muddy hole and you will only put the kids off growing veg. It's the only place we have so that's where its going . Fine said I losing the will to live so at the bottom of the slope i created a bed 2 yards wide and 18 yards long with 6 cubic yards of woodchip for them to walk round.
                        On Friday past an "expert" from the local agricultural/ horticultural college came for a look round and to give advice.
                        He told them that the orchard would be a much better place( same as I did ) and wants 15 raised beds 4 feet wide 16 feet long and 18 inches above ground level.
                        Went out today to price the timber required for the project and the quotes are coming in above £1500 for just the timber alone. At the start I was told they had a budjet of around £200 - £300 so you can guess the reception I got when I told them the price of the timber never mind getting the beds made filled and set up.

Teach the kids the basics reading ,writing, maths.
                        Add in a few "life skills" such as cookery , simple woodwork , metalwork.
                        Give them a good dose of disipline something like the Army /Air or Sea cadets or Duke of Edinburgh
                        And when they get the basics right then they can try something a little more complicated .
                        There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. Don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it in your future.

Comment

Originally posted by beefy View Post
                          I'd like to see where the money will come from .
                          i'll give you an example -
                          Few months ago I was told that due to the governments "new" approach to healthy living that the school was setting up a veg patch/ allotment.
                          No problem said I wheres it going to be? They said down there!-

As you look at the pic the bottom of the hill faces north and is surrounded by trees . I said don't bother it's north facing, sheltered from the sun, is a muddy hole and you will only put the kids off growing veg. It's the only place we have so that's where its going . Fine said I losing the will to live so at the bottom of the slope i created a bed 2 yards wide and 18 yards long with 6 cubic yards of woodchip for them to walk round.
                          On Friday past an "expert" from the local agricultural/ horticultural college came for a look round and to give advice.
                          He told them that the orchard would be a much better place( same as I did ) and wants 15 raised beds 4 feet wide 16 feet long and 18 inches above ground level.
                          Went out today to price the timber required for the project and the quotes are coming in above £1500 for just the timber alone. At the start I was told they had a budjet of around £200 - £300 so you can guess the reception I got when I told them the price of the timber never mind getting the beds made filled and set up.

Teach the kids the basics reading ,writing, maths.
                          Add in a few "life skills" such as cookery , simple woodwork , metalwork.
                          Give them a good dose of disipline something like the Army /Air or Sea cadets or Duke of Edinburgh
                          And when they get the basics right then they can try something a little more complicated .
                          Pity the budget is so small, that could be terraced nicely, to produce the growing room and make it more productive, not that you can do anything about it being north facing although the trees could go maybe and be replaced by fruit trees?
                          Vive Le Revolution!!!

Comment

Give them a good dose of disipline something like the Army /Air or Sea cadets
                            So they can go and get them selves killed in Afghanistan.
                            Brian Clough

Comment

Please don't get me wrong I have no problem with our brave troops it's our stupid government who sent them there I have the problem with.
                              Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
                                Please don't get me wrong I have no problem with our brave troops it's our stupid government who sent them there I have the problem with.
                                i agree with you totally, they are not given a choice, and we should all admire them for the fact that wherever they get sent, for whatever stupid political reason, they do their job with pride and courage. what a pity that same government treats them so badly when they come home, and I am supposed to trust that same governement with the education of my children *sigh*
                                Vive Le Revolution!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X