Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afternoon, I've spent the day in a mix gardening, reading and going for a walk. It's just dropping cool so I back in long trousers and a fleece.

enjoy your evening.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• We had a good day at the allotment today. I am shattered. The great thing about this is in Spring/Summer I can eat everything in sight if I am working at the allotment and not put weight on. It was definitely T shirt weather today but due to not yet doing the equivalent of strimming the undergrowth (shaving my hairy legs) the shorts have not yet come out of hibernation. Mr GF had a good day there too although I have a feeling he'll need some painkilling gel.

Tomorrow's weather forecast is nearly identical to today.😊🌞 I have already charged the battery on the strimmer and I am hoping that today's blisters disappear overnight.

Comment

• Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
        Predictive!!!
        Guessed that's what you meant ​​​​​​
        Though would have been handy at, reason for edit
        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Good evening, another nice day, lots of sun and got a lot of tidying up done, the post above is again a post which didn't post as required so now posted as i don't like waste with the sun being out I sterilised a good amount of soil and burn sand and used it with some compost to pot on some cabbages, so hopefully will work OK, watching GW earlier and there's quite a difference with the rubbarb shown compared to mine which has just started to show evedently several weeks more advanced, the advice to stop pulling the stems in July shows just how short harvest season is in different areas of Britain, enjoy your weekend, keep safe and keep smiling, Goodnight and God bless
          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Morning

It looks like today will be the warmest of the week, I've emptied my windowsills for the day into the GH its already 20c in there. and opened coldframes.

Rary my Rhubarbs about 6 to 8 inch tall not sure what variety it is a neighbour gave it to me and he's been given it years ago.

Enjoy your day

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Good morning everybody. I've been awake since the crack if dawn, and that was early.... I can just hear Mr GF doing something noisy to my "jam and chutney shelf".

He was only supposed to be choosing a jar to put on his toast......... apparently no harm done.......he was having a good rummage.........as if I would hide things at the back! I am actually very good at labelling and dating and using in order these days. Some things I do learn by experience.

I want to get to the allotment for a few hours today while the weather is still really warm and nice. First job is to try and find one of Mr GF's hearing aids that he seems to have lost somewhere yesterday and that I can't find at home. It'll be a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack. I've also found a bag of shallots that need planting that I'd forgotten about. The weeds are growing well and plenty of them. I'll do outdoor jobs while it's so hot and leave the greenhouse jobs for cooler days next week.

I hope everyone else has got good weather and is making the most of it.

Comment

• Morning Bren and all.

Good job it's still sunny and warm as my tumble dryer has broken and I've been able to dry the week's washing outside in shifts as I don't have much room in the garden. Getting it repaired on Monday or Tuesday hopefully, depending when the part comes.

We had some news about the village playing fields and leisure centre, which has been closed since Autumn due to methane build-up (it's on a landfill site). It's been permanently closed
                More robust fencing is to be erected around the whole site to keep people off, as dog walkers have been squeezing round the fences every day since it first shut. It means the footpath that crosses the site is also permanently closed, which is a shame as that leads to all the other field paths around the village. The fact that we have been living next to, and walking across/playing on this land for the past 40 years is seemingly inconsequential.

It's going to be 50 to 100 years before the methane stops, according to research apparently. By then it will be a nice stretch of woodland I expect, offsetting the greenhouse gases it is currently pumping out.

Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                Endless wonder.

Comment

• Morning GF. Tomorrow the crack of dawn will be an hour later, so you won't be up so early!
                  Regarding the missing hearing aid, do you know anyone with a metal detector?
                  Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                  Endless wonder.

Comment

• Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
                    Morning GF. Tomorrow the crack of dawn will be an hour later, so you won't be up so early!
                    No, I don't know anybody with a metal detector. I used to have one many years ago. It wouldn't be much use at our allotment though as I seem to spend my life unearthing rubbish. Only yesterday I found several screws and a rusty belt buckle in a small area of weeding. I did once rotovate up a gold bracelet I'd lost two years previously though. I am really hoping that the hearing aid will be with his fleece that he took off at the allotment yesterday and left there....somewhere. Maybe he pulled it off with his jumper.......

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all
                      Stunning day weather wise here too.
                      Bit of tidying up in the house, more gardening and a grory hop are on the books for today.

Hope you find that hearing aid gf. I understand they’re really expensive?…plus the inconvenience of not having it

We have friends we haven’t seen for 30 years coming over tomorrow for the day for an outdoor pizza sesh. That’s going to be a fantastic catching up event even though we’ve been in touch via post etc…I think we’ll notice we’ve all aged a tad!
                      Hence the tidying up of what essentially is a building site of a house and garden ( in parts). They’re coming to see us , not giving marks out of 10 on our domestic and gardening skills eh?

Best make a dint in the domestic part….

Enjoy your weekends peeps….
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Morning all.

Lots of water falling from the sky again today. Nearly all of the cabbages we were supposed to start eating in few weeks are splitting as well as the late winter ones. It's going to be a long hungry gap this year unless we start eating thistles. They seem to be doing very well down in the fields. Current weather forecasts are sunny Monday morning then back to rain... Looks like it'll be a while before I can do any weeding.

Might as well find some indoor jobs to do so I don't have to do them Monday morning and can actually sow some seeds instead.

The smiles say they're getting a bit fed up of the weather too but they're putting a braver face on it than I am and headed out as per.

Hope you manage to find the hearing aid, GF. And hope you have a lovely time with your friends, Nicos.

Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
                          Morning GF. Tomorrow the crack of dawn will be an hour later, so you won't be up so early!
                          Me!!! My family bought me one for my birthday last year…it’s fab fun! Sorry I’m too far away to help out!
                          sigpic

Comment

• I’ve got a metal detector too!….absolutely love using it although I’ve never found anything more exciting than rusty barbed wire, nails etc.
                            Oh…though I did once find a cotterpin the local farmer lost in the 1950s…..he said he and his dad hunted for it for a whole day. …it sort of made his day bringing back a family memory like that.
                            We did find our very old septic tank under our lawn, but nothing as yet from WW2 - although we are in the Falaise pocket area and apparently there are loads of used armaments/ shells particularly to find.
                            One of our friends had a mound of soil in her garden and decided to dig out parts of it to make an interesting rockery. However she soon discovered it was actually an intact tank

Comment

• I have to ask, Nicos: what happened to the tank once it had been exposed?

Comment

• She covered it over again Snoop.
                                Didn’t want the authorities coming and digging it up along with half her lawn and flowerbeds she’s spent 20 years perfecting.
                                Its upside down so even more of a challenge/mess to extract it.
                                Apparently it’s illegal here to have any form of military hardwear without declaring it….it’s also forbidden for civilians to register one and drive it on public roads….so, apart from me mentioning it on here and her close friends knowing about it…..”tank?….what tank?” was the easiest route for her to take…for now at least!

The most I’ve ever found was an empty German shell case about 3-4” in diameter which was used by the previous owner as a short drainage pipe under the threshold of the barn ( we have several small underground streams / springs running throughout our area)
                                OH dug up a few spent bullets and a cigarette lighter when we first moved here….all dating from WW2. Brass casings indicate early WW2 as later on it was difficult for the factories to get hold of brass - apparently.
                                Locals say there were 500-600 German military vehicles parked up locally during their retreat. I’m sure there must be plenty more to find.
                                The Vide Greniers ( car boot sales) always have some found artefacts for sale - including live ammo sitting in direct 40C plus sunshine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X