X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
    Jay22 is it this one by any chance?
    I wonder why some scone recipes use baking powder along with SR flour?
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iris_Germany View Post

Why do I suddenly want to eat 10 of these thingies because they look sooooo delish?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Surprised.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	2537103
      power of suggestion Iris ... go on, you know you want too
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

• Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post

I wonder why some scone recipes use baking powder along with SR flour?
        gives extra rise? ...

My nan (bless her) never had self raising in her house, she always used plain and baking powder - I guess that was a throw back to the days when she was a kid. Her mum died when she was quite young and being the eldest she had to leave school to look after all the younger siblings and My great grandad never remarried. but she was the most amazing cook and could make the most icredible meals from nothing (to our thoughts).
        ntg

Comment

power of suggestion Iris ... go on, you know you want too
          Nick, I know scones only from british books where they drink tea and bake and eat scones all the time. I never tasted them. But they look very good. I could not resist to savour several of them, I am sure.

Comment

Not sure it’s that one Nick, but bet you anything all her scone recipes are great!
            I’ve got the recipe somewhere but who knows where. Think, like Flo, I’m going to have to visit the dark recesses of my kitchen cupboard. It’s full of recipe books and pieces of paper I’ve printed off the internet. I now feel like baking scones!!
            sigpic

Comment

Which Nick are you named after? Would it be the old one?

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post

Which Nick are you named after? Would it be the old one?
                an Old Nick but not The old nick 64 as of Sunday ... don't know where that all went

I'm not sure if its still available but when we moved in here (nearly 37 years ago!) My mum gave us a small booklet called the Be-Ro baking book. Its almost pocket sized and produced by Be-Ro flour. That has some brilliant recipes in and my Daughter uses it a lot these days. I used to have loads of cook books but we got rid of quite a few some years back ... bad for the waist line
                ntg

Comment

gives extra rise? ...

My nan (bless her) never had self raising in her house, she always used plain and baking powder .
                  Nick I'm with your Nan I also only buy Plain flour then add baking powder, that's why it seems odd to added it to SR flour.

You can still buy the Be-Ro cook book plus there's recipes on their web site

https://www.be-ro.co.uk/

My books old and tatty but well loved.

Comment

• Good evening, had a nice wee break in the Lake District over the weekend, got back home last night, didn't leave very early and visited one or two places on the way back home and finished up hitting heavy traffic at the back of five last night, its a long time since I was out at that time, so in future I will ether leave earlier or stick to motorway driving, today it was rearrange upstairs, which has just been decorated and OH decided "we" should rearrange the furniture, which involved moving a heavy chest of drawers from one end of the room to the other, too heavy to lift or slide so all the drawers had to come out, slide it down, refit the drawers, all of which OH helped by telling me to be careful not to damage the new wallpaper, take care not to break anything, careful with refitting the drawers, I don't know what I would have done without her help and guidance​​​​​​, after that I was out in the garden not so much to do anything, more to avoid "us" finding something else that "we" needed to do, now off to make the tea, so enjoy your evening and remember to keep smiling
                    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• I've bought a number of cake and biscuit baking books recently and it's surprising how many of the recipes use self-raising flour plus additional baking powder. I presumed it was to give an extra rise to sponges. Does seem odd in scones, though.

Comment

• Snoop I'm glad it's not only me who thinks it's odd.

Comment

I've bought a number of cake and biscuit baking books recently and it's surprising how many of the recipes use self-raising flour plus additional baking powder. I presumed it was to give an extra rise to sponges. Does seem odd in scones, though.
                          Did not even know that such a thing exists.
                          Baking was a big thing in my family and everyone we knew. At the country and in the cities, the housewife did bake all the time. For "Kaffee and Kuchen". This is, what the Germans do at 3.00 p.m in the afternoon. Coffee and Cake-Time.

Only the new generations do not like to bake anymore, I think. Except some, who make a fuzz of it with "blogging" and who knows what, as never someone before did bake for their families every few days.

Self-raising flour I never heard of. Must be a special english custom.
                          Last edited by Iris_Germany; 24-11-2021, 06:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iris_Germany View Post

Did not even know that such a thing exists.
                            Baking was a big thing in my family and everyone we knew. At the country and in the cities, the housewife did bake all the time. For "Kaffee and Kuchen". This is, what the Germans do at 3.00 p.m in the afternoon. Coffee and Cake-Time.

Only the new generations do not like to bake anymore, I think. Except some, who make a fuzz of it with "blogging" and who knows what, as never someone before did bake for their families every few days.

Self-raising flour I never heard of. Must be a special english custom.
                            Kaffee und Kuchen sounds good to me Iris I think the modern thing of going out for coffee (Starbucks Costas etc) has probably encouraged younger people (God I sound old) to get back into baking as they're used to having a cake with it when theyre out. Us old foggies have always done it so we just carry on .

If every any of you lot happen to be in Saundersfoot I can thoroughly recommend Sue's Pantry - superb cakes (a small selection attached)

Attached Files
                            ntg

Comment

Kaffee und Kuchen sounds good to me Iris I think the modern thing of going out for coffee (Starbucks Costas etc) has probably encouraged younger people (God I sound old) to get back into baking as they're used to having a cake with it when theyre out. Us old foggies have always done it so we just carry on .

If every any of you lot happen to be in Saundersfoot I can thoroughly recommend Sue's Pantry - superb cakes (a small selection attached)
                              I have no idea if it is the same in the UK too:
                              The so cold "bakeries" sell all kind of industrial stuff, made in big factories, which does not taste good.

Not a lot of "real" bakeries anymore here in Germany. Everything they offer tasts like crap, pardon my French.

Therefore: Either home baked cake or cake from a real baker. The latter does not bring any money anymore, it seems, so these are rare here. Shame.
                              (Sue's Pantry looks like the real thing. I would go for the big tarts below. )
                              Last edited by Iris_Germany; 24-11-2021, 09:11 PM.

Comment

I've bought a number of cake and biscuit baking books recently and it's surprising how many of the recipes use self-raising flour plus additional baking powder. I presumed it was to give an extra rise to sponges. Does seem odd in scones, though.
                                I've always made scones with bicarb and cream of tartar, or occasionally with baking powder. The one time I used SR flour on its own they didn't rise half so well. Perhaps because scone mixture is fairly dry compared to cake mix SR flour needs the extra baking powder to make the scones rise properly in the short baking time.
                                Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                                Endless wonder.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X