What book you reading ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Himalaya - Michael Palin

I’d love to watch his TV programmes again once I’ve finished it.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Just finished "Amongst our Weapons" by Ben Aaronovitch, one of the Rivers of London series. Brilliant books, a sort of Harry Potter for grown-ups.
      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
      Endless wonder.

Comment

Hi All,
        Nine chapters into The Double Edged Sword (Book 1 in the Nowhere Chronicles series by Sarah Silverwood). Although the book is clearly aimed at the younger reader and is really a coming of age tale and it looks promising for the series from what I have read, if your into Fantasy/Sci-Fi etc. then this I would recommend this not just for yourself but even those younger readers I would say teens onwards IMPO....

'Sixteen's an interesting age: not quite a fully grown man, but not a kid either. Anything is possible when you're sixteen.'

Finmere Tingewick Smith was abandoned on the steps of the Old Bailey. Under the guardianship of the austere Judge Harlequin Brown and the elderly gentlemen of Orrery House, Fin has grown up under a very strange set of rules. He spends alternate years at two very different schools and now he's tired of the constant lies to even his best friends, to hide the insanity of his double life. Neither would believe the truth!

But on his sixteenth birthday, everything changes. The Judge is killed, stabbed in the chest with a double-edged sword that's disturbingly familiar, and from that moment on, Fin is catapulted into an extraordinary adventure. Through the Doorway in Fin's London, a hole in the boundaries of Existence, lies another London -- and now both are in grave danger.
        For the Knights of Nowhere have kidnapped the Storyholder, the keeper of the Five Eternal Stories which weave the worlds together. Because of the Knights' actions, a black storm is coming, bringing madness with it.

Fin may be just 16, but he has a long, dark journey ahead of him if he is to rescue the Story holder and save Existence!

EDIT:- Even at 62 I enjoyed the book and look forward to book (2) in this three volume set......

Geoff.
        Last edited by 1batfastard; 07-12-2022, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Part way through …..Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind is a book by Yuval Noah Harari

Basically about the nature of the evolution through to present time of various Homo species.
          Differences and similarities but mostly behavioural.
          Not particularly heavy reading but very well researched.
          There is a second one in the series..about the future of mankind based on our historical behaviour. Apparently that’s pretty uncomfortable reading.

Comment

Two Storm wood, by Philip Gray, set in WW1, a tough read

Comment

Hi All,
              I am currently four chapters into ' Famous Fighters Of The Second World WarI (Vol.1.) '

There are no chapters Per se but as each few pages are specific to a particular aircraft I have referred to them as such, also being as there are two volumes with only a nominal amount of aircraft in each I shall read both in one sitting.

These two volumes plus two volumes of (Famous Bombers Of The Second World War), embarrassingly another set of books I have had since I bought them at a local jumble sale when living at home with my parents in the 70's and ashamed to say never read them.

Click image for larger version  Name:	md30766807528.jpg Views:	0 Size:	16.9 KB ID:	2554915

Geoff.
              Last edited by 1batfastard; 06-12-2022, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Hi All,
                Sad nobody reading anymore ? Ok then I'll kick 2023 off with a book I have nearly finished 10 chapters into Ambush At Osirak by Herbert Crwoder I have enjoyed immensely since the beginning.....

Synopsis.
                We have a crisis... were the President's words to agent David Llewellyn, on his assignment as special envoy to Jerusalem.

His mission: to plug a security leak at the American Embassy. A standard operation-except for three very important, and shocking, complications... Israeli Forces are prepared to launch a devastating air strike on the Iraqi Nuclear Reactor at Osirak. The Iraqis are fully aware of the oncoming attack. And the Soviets have supplied them with the ultimate superweapon--the perfect means to wage a nuclear war.

Geoff.
                Last edited by 1batfastard; 24-06-2023, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Death on the Nile- Agatha Christie

Comment

I'm reading an average of one book a week, so open to suggestions! At the moment I'm trying novels by celebrities, mainly out of curiosity. Richard Coles last week and this week Rosemary Shrager. Don't rate either of them
                    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Hi Flo, I have just been reading The Good Servant by Fern Britton.
                      I found it really interesting.
                      You might like it. 😀

And when your back stops aching,
                      And your hands begin to harden.
                      You will find yourself a partner,
                      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Thanks bramble. Woman's Hour has recommended Mrs Death Misses Death by Selena Godden. I quite like her poetry, but not sure about the book.
                        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I'm currently reading Benedict Jacka's sequence of urban fantasy novels following the story of Alex Verus, a mage with a dark past who runs a magic shop in the Camden Town district of north-west London.
                          Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                          Endless wonder.

Comment

Recently I have been reading some Jack Reacher novels by a Lee Child, I tried one that was co written with his brother but wasn't impressed by it, after those I read some fantasy novels about Shannara by Terry Brooks, I am reading one just now, I find that books of both Reacher and Shannara are good for quick reads, and I can stop and start with them, I have book by Conn Iggulden which is a follow on from his Athenian series, but will wait till I have more time for reading, as to me, his books are not books to stop and start
                            it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Hi All,
                              19 chapters (small chapters between longer ones) into William Alan Webbs - Standing Before Hell's Gate (Book 4 in the 'The Last Brigade' series). I really enjoy Bills work if you like action/Sci Fi/Fantasy then he's the man for you he also has a couple of non fiction books out regarding WWII,

I do recommend Jurassic Jail of which he is currently working on Book 2, this is not your Jurrisic Park of movie fame but is a bit more meaty (Pardon the pun), he also co-writes with various other authors and is quite busy penning whatever all the time it seems, why not visit his web page:- https://thelastbrigade.com/

Synopsis.
                              It was all going so well for Nick Angriff and the 7th Cavalry… until it wasn’t.

When Angriff awakened in a world where America no longer existed, he vowed to resurrect his beloved country. Put in command of Operation Overtime and all U.S. forces in the post-American world, he assumed that everyone under his command wanted the same thing.

But he was wrong. And now the forces arrayed against him have the power to crush freedom once and for all.

With all of the twists, turns, deceptions, and action you’ve come to expect from a series that one reviewer called “the best I’ve ever read,” Standing Before Hell’s Gate begins the Showdown Trilogy, where Nick confronts his enemies in a final fight for control of Operation Overtime, while the rebirth of the American Republic hangs in the balance.

Geoff.
                              Last edited by 1batfastard; 04-04-2023, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Reading LJ Ross at the minute…DCI Ryan novels, I’ve Ian Rankin’s new Rebus waiting and looking forward to Denzil Meyrick new DCI Daley in June. Can you tell I like my crime novels?
                                Oh I’ve also got a couple of metal detecting books to read which I got for my birthday! I’ve yet to find that Roman hoard although I live in hope!!
                                Last edited by Jay22; 04-04-2023, 03:52 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X