X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penellype
    replied
    Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
    My Turn To Make The Tea by Monica Dickens, a semi-autobiographical book. She wrote Follyfoot - anyone remember that on the telly?
    I remember Follyfoot, which was filmed at the Harewood estate in Harrogate, just down the road from the village of Follifoot, a couple of miles from where I grew up.

I'm reading The Self-Sufficiency Garden by Huw Richards and Sam Cooper.

Leave a comment:

• mothhawk
    replied
    My Turn To Make The Tea by Monica Dickens, a semi-autobiographical book. She wrote Follyfoot - anyone remember that on the telly?

Leave a comment:

• Andraste
    replied
    I'm experiencing the 'drought-lander' phenomena i.e. sadly awaiting the return of the next Outlander series so decided to pick up the books on which the series is based by Diana Gabaldon.

Now on book four, I've not yet got to the stage where the book goes past the tv series. So far they're very consistent with each other in terms of the storyline and I'm enjoying the books very much.

For those unfamiliar, Claire (a former WWII Nurse) accidently travels back from 1945 by 200 years. She ends up in all sorts of historically based trials and turns and marries Jamie (Highland Scot). Circumstances lead Claire to return to her own time around the time of the battle of Culloden, where she stays for 20 years until realising that Jamie is still alive so she goes back to him. The books (and series) tell the story of Claire and Jamie but also their families and broader experiences. It's hard to describe as it's a love story at its core but there's plenty of treachery, warfare, struggle etc. to get your teeth into - there's even a nice dose of genealogy for those inclined (which I am).

I love a saga and with the first book at around 800 pages on its own this series is ticking my boxes.

Leave a comment:

• mothhawk
    replied
    You're right about turning pages, Nicos. That's why I find I tend to only have fiction on the kindle, but proper books for non-fiction. I seldom turn back a page in fiction

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    I prefer the feel and smell of real books, and manually turning pages.
    I’m very much an ‘in the bathtub’ and ‘in bed at sillyo’clock.fr’ sort of reader.

I did try my mom’s kindle for a while but I hadn’t realised how much I like to turn back a few pages to check things out again. Ney on impossible with the kindle…unless there’s a trick to that?

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    Just finished
    The Farmer's Wife: My Life in Days by Helen Rebanks

She’s the wife of James Rebanks who has written several books on himself and ecological farming.
    Both have written very readable books.

Leave a comment:

• mothhawk
    replied
    I use a kindle too,especially at night to read in bed - it's lighter to hold than a book, and I can turn out the light and read by kindleglow, but I do like a real book, which is why I use the library so much. On my kindle I've just started Past Imperfect by Julian Fellowes.

Leave a comment:

• Containergardener
    replied
    Oh I remember watching her on the TV. Sounds like an interesting book.
    I'm not reading anything at the moment, need to choose something. I read on kindle. As much as I love books and would love my own library, it's just easier for me.

Leave a comment:

• mothhawk
    replied
    "My" library is still closed for another two weeks, and I've given up on the community library in the next village (I can never get near the bookshelves for all the various clubs they have each day - knitting, sewing, coffee, etc, all sitting round a long table with their chairs pushed back against the shelves...grr). So I'm going through my own bookshelves re-reading books and I've just finished "Hannah - The Complete Story" about Hannah Hauxwell. Remember her? What a hard life she lived, and so contentedly.

Leave a comment:

• mothhawk
    replied
    The Children's Blizzard by Melanie Benjamin, a fictional account of the "Schoolchildren's Blizzard" that happened on the Great Plains in USA in January 1888. After starting the book I looked it up, it makes sobering reading.

https://www.readex.com/blog/%E2%80%9...-blizzard-1888

Leave a comment:

• nick the grief
    replied
    The Natural Gardener: A Lifetime of Gardening by the Phases of the Moon By John Harris He has just retired after 40 years as Head Gardener at Tresilian Gardens in Cornwall . A fascinating read of a man with a wealth of knowledge, you may have seen him on Rick Steins Cornwall

Click image for larger version  Name:	book.jpg Views:	0 Size:	21.7 KB ID:	2573817
    I really enjoyed reading it. Never tried Moon gardening but never too old to learn.

ntg
    Last edited by nick the grief; 18-01-2024, 01:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Florence Fennel
    replied
    The Winter King - Bernard Cornwell and finding it really hard going!

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    ^^^ one of my favourite books of all time!

Leave a comment:

• mothhawk
    replied
    No, I haven't, Snoop. Thanks for the recommendation

Leave a comment:

• Snoop Puss
    replied
    Have you ever read Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks, mothhawk? If not, it might make an interesting read after the book you're currently reading. The descriptions of the trenches were shocking.

Thanks for the reminder, Nicos. I haven't read the third one either. The Radetzky March lasted a bit longer than some books I've recently picked up, but not by much, I'm ashamed to say.. I'll try Hilary Mantel. A great recommendation.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X