This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
    Snoop that must have been a bit of a blow to find you supermarket closed does this happen often in Spain ?
    I've never heard of it happening before. Perhaps they were closed for stock take, refurbishment... no idea. And no info. I checked the website and frustratingly they're open today. Anyway, it's not like we'll starve...

Gosh, gf, that sounds nasty. How does metalwork get infected? I hope they can find a satisfactory solution for her.

Meanwhile, on the southern front, a very chilly night last night but a hot day ahead. Got the watering done and more water up from the well before the wasps came out. I might have found (and dispatched) the culprit responsible for the chewed aubergines: a big fat locust sitting on top of the plant. Unfortunately, in my determination to catch it, I attracted Frankie's attention. I might perhaps have done better to let the locust chomp on the aubergines... Two pepper plants got badly damaged. What can you do, though? Not much. He's cute when he's asleep, which isn't often enough.

On the cards for today: a big cooking session I think. It's back to work on Monday for real, so some ready-made meals will help to lessen the shock.

Have a great day, everyone. The smiles got a bit biffed about by Frankie this morning in the vegetable patch and left in a hurry. I'm sure they'll be somewhere round your way by now.

Comment

• Good morning all.
      Another beautiful sunny day.
      We have had some lovely weather these past few days.
      Out to play pitch and putt.
      Catch you all later.
      Have a good day.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Hello all, on the theme of weather... we've had rain, wind and glorious sunshine here today!

I've decided to admit defeat and dispose of all the tomato plants in the greenhouse today. It wasn't a happy year in the greenhouse this year, Hopefully next well be more productive (it couldn't be much worse if i'm honest)

I found a sack of long forgotten potatoes in the garage today, they had started to sprout through the hessian sack - not the pale weedly shoots where they have been left for too long in the dark, but propper, thick purple chitting sprouts about the thickness of my thumb!
        "Bulb: potential flower buried in Autumn, never to be seen again."
        - Henry Beard

Comment

• Been glorious outdoors here today. Shirt off weather!

Got a shock when I went to the market as in its place is a fairly substantial river! Decided to visit the high street to find most of the charity shops had gone.....probably covid methinks? Got home and took my dog for a long walk and walked shirtless as it was so warm.
          Back home again and lawn had dried out so managed to give it a cut and fix my shed door which had dropped and needed the hinges easing. Sitting down now to watch the boxing on BT Sport 1
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Evening its been another t-shirt and shorts day here so we've been out and about making the most of it.

Did a bit of potting on but apart from that and harvesting that was in for gardening.

Had to pick up a new battery when we were out one of the smoke alarms woke me up beeping last night.

Enjoy your evening.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Good morning all. A grey start to the day here. I think I'll add the sugar and finish making this next lot of blackberry jelly this morning. It really doesn't make that much each time after all the solids get left in the jelly bag and I've promised another (he's already eaten his way through one) jar to one of the old men at the allotment. I noticed yesterday that some of the grapes are nearly ready. I love grapes. I even picked half a dozen ripe Victoria plums yesterday. For months I thought the tree hadn't got any this year but it looks as if there's a good dozen and they are big, sweet and juicy. The tree was on it's final warning this year so it will get a reprieve.
              Time for the second bucket of coffee now.

Comment

• Morning

GF have you tried sieving out the pips instead of making jelly jam, it does make a lovely smooth jam. I've got sieve attachment for my Kenwood chef but really it doesn't take that long to push the blackberries through a sieve.

It looks like being another nice day here

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all

Just about to tuck into a brunch of bacon, egg and tomato bap.
                  Its one of the last packets we brought back from the uk pre Covid so it needs eating up.
                  Fortunately OH has learned to make bacon so it’s not such a loss anymore.

More gardening for me - we’re having very mixed weather but it’s good to see we’re making good inroads.

Bren - I’ve pushed blackberries through a sieve after cooking/ heating them to release the juices, but I’ve so far managed to push the mesh out of the metal rim on two different ones so it’s getting a bit of an expensive method. Any tips?

Right….food awaits…see ya later peeps - and don’t forget to take photos for our VVS over the weekend!
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Nicos the only tip I've got is to use a ladle to push the cooked fruit through it seems to help because the ladle bowl covers a larger area. Its a bit messy even with the Kenwood attachment

Comment

• Morning all.

Have just tried to find a Kenwood sieve. Looks like they don't make them anymore. That's a shame. Would a juicer work? Might not let enough pulp through, I guess.

Very overcast here today. I might even get away with not watering everything tomorrow. Looks like autumn's definitely on its way. Forecast temperatures in the top to mid-20s for the next two weeks. Time to start doing something with all the summer leeks I've grown. Didn't expect them to grow as well as they have and they're not frost hardy. Looks like I'll be filling the freezer with leek and potato soup, leek and chicken pies, leek and pea samosas. All ideas welcome!

Right, better get going. Though what I really want is a late morning nap. The smiles are a bit sluggish too but I've told them to get a move on. Otherwise they'll get to you too late. Have a lovely day, everyone.

Comment

• Morning all.
                        Lunch all prepped and I've gone wild with the calories and made Raymond Blanc's Pear Armandine for dessert. It looks and smells fabulous, and I'm not thinking about all the calories. I'll just have a small slice

I sieve blackberries too. I only have fill the sieve at most, and I scrape down the outside of the sieve regularly which helps to let more purée through faster. Having said that, just last week I noticed the wire is starting to pop out of the sieve rim. Mind, I've had it at least 10 years so it's done good service.

I was making blackberry syrup,and the next morning it had set in the jug. Hmm, should have jarred it as jam. I didn't think it would set without added apple pectin.
                        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                        Endless wonder.

Comment

• Morning all...just!

Dinner sorted, emptied a MFB to find a good crop of Charlotte spuds, in the pan now. Also cabbage from allotment and a large onion in with my steak and kidney!
                          Also got a chopped up sweet potato (not from allotment) to add a bit of colour

Strangely I went to a butcher yesterday and asked for a small amount of steak and kidney. The counter assistant looked at me like I had two heads and said they only had steak! I walked out and found a butcher further up the high street who happily sold me a small amount of steak and kidney just for one person!

Weather is polar opposite to yesterday which was bright and warm...........today is really cold and damp, so much so that I have lit the woodburner!
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Snoop - I just sauté mine in butter and then freeze it in batches. Makes for quick cooking when using it in soups/ quiches/ sauces etc at a later date. They freeze down nicely too.
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                              Morning

GF have you tried sieving out the pips instead of making jelly jam, it does make a lovely smooth jam. I've got sieve attachment for my Kenwood chef but really it doesn't take that long to push the blackberries through a sieve.

It looks like being another nice day here
                              I have never sieved blackberries but I have sieved raspberries for a faddy young niece many years ago. (When she got older I bought her her own raspberry canes.) The reason I don't try it with blackberries is that I can already turn my kitchen into something looking like a crime scene without adding a sieve into the mix and despite my best efforts I am messy.
                              Last edited by greenishfing; 29-08-2021, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• ^Thanks, Nicos. Unfortunately, I've chopped half a dozen up. I should have taken a picture for the Vine show. Will try to remember next time..

A good butcher is a person of joy, Snadger. Ours is a fantastic woman. Unfortunately, she's my age and thinking of retiring... There's another butcher in the village but of about the same age. Sadly, none of their kids are interested in taking on their businesses. If I were to win the lottery, I'd buy up our favourite butcher's and give it to one of her assistants to run.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X