Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning all, it's a little on the grey side but its brightening up.
    I need to go o the post office this morning and then I will visit the church.
    Our church is open for private prayer only so I will take the opportunity and it's good Friday,
    Hopefully some seed sowing this afternoon.
    Take it easy today Snoop, tomorrow is another day.

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Afternoon all,what a shock the weather was yesterday was a very lazy one for me,much brighter now,life still goes on here no change,Snadger a few years ago i did the same,only to discover just how quick the the cardboard rotted,plus the weeds had a high old time growing in the paths,when first done they look great,i also tried the weed control under,but the weeds still rooted,just like in the soil,Snoop try some down in a small area,my concern would be tripping up,unless they have a good flatening down,another idea is,could they be used around squash plants ext,to help keep the moisture in,make a ridge of them to help give short peas a help,if not burn it and use the wood ash,a friend stayed with MR for a short time chatting,and i went to wilkos,got a few more seeds,the traffic was mad,this was lunch time,peeps are shopping like the end of the world,have a good afternoon and be good,
      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, LD. I'll bear those in mind. Tripping is a possibility, I guess. But I've broken them up to about 3 or 4 cm long, so I think they'd pack down quite well. But trying a small section first is a good idea.

Comment

Good afternoon
          Really nice and sunny now, much better than earlier.

Re slippery wood chip paths Snadge, a few folks on the lotty have entertaining skid pans but they only put an inch deep to cover the cardboard so maybe a deeper covering would work OK.

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
          Yesterday I was breaking up very thin twigs - too thin and snaggy to be useful as kindling, maybe a couple of mm in diameter - that I was going to bung in the compost bin as browns, but it occurred to me that maybe I could use them as path material. Anyone got any views?
          They'd work fine Snoop. Might take some nitrogen from the soil but it shouldn't matter much under a path. The twiggy ends of branches (ramial wood) provide more nutrients for soil life than chippings from thicker branches. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramial_chipped_wood

As mentioned in an earlier post I think wood chipped paths are great but in fairness our soil paths were weed free when the chippings went down and we do top them up by two or three inches at least once and sometimes twice a year. The only downsides we encounter are worm casts (which start turning the paths back to soil), blackbirds turfing through looking for food and at some times of year large shingles of toadstools. (All three probably indicate the soil beneath is healthy). Our paths have been under chippings since 2016 and at this time of year a half inch diameter steel fence pin can be pushed a foot into the ground by hand which means the paths aren't making compact barriers between the beds.

Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Bit of a miserable day today weather wise. I didn't let that stop me. I managed to get my spuds in the ground (and bins). I know its an old tradition but my grandad always said to plant potatoes on good Friday so that's what I always do (When I actually do them that is!)

"Bulb: potential flower buried in Autumn, never to be seen again."
            - Henry Beard

Comment

Thanks, Mr Bones. That's put my mind at ease.

Comment

Evening its been sunny but still coat weather, did some seed sowing then spent time in my GH potting on. enjoying the 22c temp in there.
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Baltic here today, even though the sun shined, no gardening done, just a lot of taxi driving for SWMBO now we are allowed to move about a bit more, tiffin has been delivered.

Comment

Glad you got our weather Bren!
                    our forecast now for Monday night is -3C feels like -9C and snow.
                    Thats a bit of a change from 26C the other day and sleeping with the window wide open!

I managed to get hold of some fleece yesterday...yipppee!
                    Purely by chance I was accidentally taking a detour to the till in the diy store ( yup again ) through the gardening section....as you do!
                    Everywhere I’d looked previously has just sold large fleece bags to put over the top of shrubs.
                    I’ve never seen it sold on a roll here- but these were 9m x2m for 6€ each which I thought was pretty reasonable .Too late for the mirabelle but I might be able to save some plums.

Burnie...and just as you are coming out of lockdown we’re going into it here as of this evening.
                    I fancy grasping the last moment and going out for a drive , taking a flask...but it’s most definitely not nice driving weather.
                    Last edited by Nicos; 03-04-2021, 07:08 AM.
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Morning Nicos and All

Wow .. that's going to be cold Nicos and such a temperature swing from a few days ago.

Dull and overcast one for us today. Time to get the winter coats back out plus I have a spare (Richard) Parker if anyone needs to borrow it

Happy Saturdays
                      Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Morning all

Just waiting for my Son to arrive as we are off for a couple of hours of fishing. After that I will have to get a few seeds sown indoors. Thinking of cukes and courgettes especially.

TTFN
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Morning all.

Quite chilly out there, but no frost that I saw after a bit of a lie-in. Some thin cloud in the sky and despite the spring flowers (rosemary and broom), it's a feeble sun shining through and so feels quite wintry.

Meaning it's time for hot drinks. I'll get tea and coffee on the go. Help yourself if you want one. No biscuits, buns or - dare I mention it? - Spanish breakfast cake today, but plenty of smiles in the bag.

Have a good one, everyone.

Comment

Good Morning All Dull and cold here too. Washing machine is on and the heating will be too soon I suspect in order to get it dry. Lucky with the fleece Nicos. I've ordered a large Garrowby Hill print for my home office. Have long admired it, but it's not to himself's taste, but I can have it for myself now Have a good day All
                            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Good morning all.A very cold night, as I was going to bed it s minus1 deg.
                              A lovely sunny morning here and a clear sky.
                              A walk is o the cards and some gardening with a family zoom quiz tonight.
                              Thanks for the offer Snoop, teas for me please.
                              Nicos, hopefully it will be the last lockdown.
                              Have a good day all,

And when your back stops aching,
                              And your hands begin to harden.
                              You will find yourself a partner,
                              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Morning
                                walk done , lovely out but a nip in the shade. Shall be making the most of the weather today.
                                Nicos we have same forecast Mon tue Wed-3 with a feel of -8.
                                Shock to the system.
                                system.
                                Had 4 lovely goldfinches this morning

Northern England.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X