Winter colour?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of great ideas! ... thankyou.

Do keep them coming...as others have said, the seasons are changing and we need to try to keep one step ahead - not just for ourselves but for the wildlife toi!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

In flowering my garden today. Two types of Rudbeckia. My rose, Just Joey. Polyanthus, chrysanthemums, pansies and a few other bits.
      Good to see some colour at this time of year.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

The first of our snowdrops began flowering about a week ago.
        We have several subspecies (can't remember names) and it seems to be all of one type which are flowering; it's quite a large variety.
        Last edited by FB.; 28-12-2020, 12:31 PM.

Comment

The stems of my japanese wineberry are a lovely dark red all through winter.

Comment

I took this 2018 as conditions were just right. This is the track to my lotty plot and I've never caught it like this since Click image for larger version

Name:	track.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	423.6 KB
ID:	2515297
            ntg
            Never be afraid to try something new.
            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
            ==================================================

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

What a nice archway of trees.
                Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Nice photo Nick that would make a good phone/pc wallpaper pic.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Japanese Pink Pussy Willow, Salix gracilistyla 'Mount Aso'

and also Wintersweet for colour and scent. (Neither edible)

Comment

Snowdrops now out in large numbers with a few Cyclamen coum and Cyclamen persicum* flowering among them.

Tete-a-tete dwarf daffodils will flower soon - usually February - then the main spring bulbs will follow in March (crocus, hyacinth, bluebell etc).
                      For us, Tete-a-tete is by far the toughest of the dwarf daffodil varieties; other dwarfs have all faded away and all that's left are thousands of Tete-a-tete.

(* not hardy enough in many parts of the UK)
                      Last edited by FB.; 20-01-2021, 06:25 PM.

Comment

My bomb proof snowdrops have got buds above the soil but none are open yet.
                        They were found in a pile of fly tipped waste up side down with flowers craning round the clod and survived there ordeal and have over the years got so crowded that some bulbs are being pushed to the surface. I have collected the pushed up bulbs and used them to decorate the edge of the vehicle track at the allotment.
                        Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Originally posted by Plot70 View Post
                          My bomb proof snowdrops have got buds above the soil but none are open yet.
                          They were found in a pile of fly tipped waste up side down with flowers craning round the clod and survived there ordeal and have over the years got so crowded that some bulbs are being pushed to the surface. I have collected the pushed up bulbs and used them to decorate the edge of the vehicle track at the allotment.
                          Well, spring is coming soon, the plants feel it. Snowdrops are not afraid of the February frosts. Even if it's January, but the winters are getting warmer, so the flowers wake up earlier. My hyacinth bulbs also make themselves felt.

Comment

Snowdrops are called perce neige here ....pierce snow.

apt name eh?

Comment

Hellebor orentalis are now in flower.
                              Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                                Snowdrops are called perce neige here ....pierce snow.

apt name eh?
                                The name is just wonderful! After all, snowdrops are tender, but very strong and resistant to adversity plants. They are the first to tell us about the arrival of spring and personally they cause an improvement in my mood. After all, blooming snowdrops are a signal that soon it will be warm, sunny days will begin.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X