Is there a Chemist in the house?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Capsid View Post
    Right, that's why I asked about it being small grains. If it wasn't particulate then fungus would be my next guess. Now you say it is slimy then I'd definitely call it fungus.
    gawd!! so what would you do - fill kettle/iron etc straight from 'aaard tap and to heck with it or keep filtering and drink fungiiii
    aka
    Suzie

Comment

If it wasn't particulate then fungus would be my next guess. .
      Are you sure particulate is a real word? ignorant soul me!
      WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
        Are you sure particulate is a real word? ignorant soul me!
        Yes.

particulate definition | Dictionary.com
        Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
          gawd!! so what would you do - fill kettle/iron etc straight from 'aaard tap and to heck with it or keep filtering and drink fungiiii
          Do you really need to filter the water for drinking? It'll be OK to use it for the iron. Boiling in the kettle should kill any nasties.
          Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

lol I should know better than to joke with a chemist! I always lose
            WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Do you really need to filter the water for drinking?
              you know I really don't know - I know that we have hard water and that I love the taste of it from the tap (well, actually I use a glass but you get my drift) .... I have always been under the impresion that if water is hard it must be filtered for kettles else you end up with a up of scale

Thanks Capsid
              aka
              Suzie

Comment

We have nice soft water, slurp ahhh
                Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                and ends with backache

Comment

The cancer link with burnt toast is unproven but that's benzopyrene not carbon. So I gave a poor analogy. Charcoal?
                  The tastiest bits of toast, roast meat etc. are said to be a bit dodgy. They are known collectively as BCBs (Burnt Crunchy Bits)
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

We have hard water. Everybody here drinks it. However, there is some doubt that we come into the category of 'normal' -!
                    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

you know I really don't know - I know that we have hard water and that I love the taste of it from the tap (well, actually I use a glass but you get my drift) .... I have always been under the impresion that if water is hard it must be filtered for kettles else you end up with a up of scale

Thanks Capsid

we don't use filters for the tap water at all, just use a descaler on the kettle every couple of months, (usually after I get a cup of crunchy tea) and that stuff that makes washing machines live longer.
                      Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
                      Bob Dylan

Comment

We have hard water here, wouldn't use a filter though, think they're a breading ground for all sorts of nasties.
                        Just de-scale the kettle with vinegar once a month, easy!
                        Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Burnt toast brings back memories of an aunty who always managed to burn the toast. She has been gone a long time now and we still say aunty Pymms here the toats is burnt.
                          Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                          and ends with backache

Comment

Originally posted by kernowyon View Post
                            we don't use filters for the tap water at all, just use a descaler on the kettle every couple of months, (usually after I get a cup of crunchy tea) and that stuff that makes washing machines live longer.
                            yep same here, and rent my washing machine so i don't have to buy a new one every 3 years lol.
                            Vive Le Revolution!!!
                            'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
                            Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

I have always been under the impresion that if water is hard it must be filtered for kettles else you end up with a up of scale
                              only if you never clean your kettle
                              Rinsing it out and using fresh every day will help to keep it descaled. As will boiling up a bit of 50/50 vinegar and water every now and again.
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Could you sterilize your jug from time to time using Milton fluid? The stuff they used to sterilize baby's bottles with. As I recall you didn't have to rinse it off before the bottle was used, so if it's safe for babies it's probably safe for this type of use and will do less damage than boiling.
                                Last edited by bluemoon; 13-11-2008, 12:24 PM.
                                Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X