What do you love about this time of year?:D

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marthaclematis View Post
    Nell... there's something from a website which I have printed off as a little table and stuck to my computer screen. Its a calendar showing the times of Sunrise and Sunset for each day of the year. I too get excited as we approach 21st December (the shortest day) and get a big thrill knowing that from then on the days are getting longer again. And like you, I too am sad when the longest day is past.....its like "its all down hill from here".

Thank god for that, I thought I was the only one sad in June (my birthday's in June as well and since there is only OH and sister who usually send cards it tends to be a bit bleak) (aaaaah).

Since posting the last message I have found a countdown thing with an option to put your own picture behind (tossing up between lambs and blossom), but I will search for your gadget.
    Nell

Comment

it's the smell for me, poeple that are lucky enough to have working chimnies start their fires up, bonfires burning off the leaves, the smell of the dead leaves themselves when i walk the dog, the whole time smells of richness going back into the ground after a productive summer.
      Vive Le Revolution!!!
      'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
      Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

I love Autumn, lighting the rayburn, loads of comfort food!, the smell of leaves when walking in the woods, frosty mornings, snuggly hats scarves and gloves - everything!!!

Comment

Soups, woodburners, roast carrots and potatoes, drinking pimms on the decking snuggled up in warm woolies with the swans finally losing their baby grey feathers and becoming adults and swimming past us while we work the garden.

And thermal vests, putting them on and the satisfaction of having a warm back in the cold.

Comment

It has to be a good log fire in the grate. In this part of the world we say 'a fire up the chimney back' to describe a good blaze. Many people have mentioned the aromas of autumn. To me there is no better smell (and I might be on my own here) than wet dog. Especially if they are toasting themselves by the aforementioned log fire after a good walk in the fields. Absolute bliss.
            It is the doom of man, that they forget.

Comment

You're on your own there mate. My dog honks when he's wet. I love seeing him in front of the fire, soaking it up, after he has just climbed out of my pond, or out of one of the ditches in the fields but he does stink. Buerk!!
              Bob Leponge
              Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Originally posted by snuffer View Post
                It has to be a good log fire in the grate. In this part of the world we say 'a fire up the chimney back' to describe a good blaze. Many people have mentioned the aromas of autumn. To me there is no better smell (and I might be on my own here) than wet dog. Especially if they are toasting themselves by the aforementioned log fire after a good walk in the fields. Absolute bliss.

Have to agree with you there Snuffer - the heady aroma of damp dog by a log fire mmmmmmmm (been sawing logs this afternoon - ready for winter)
                http://www.robingardens.com

Seek not to know all the answers, just to understand the questions.

Comment

I don't mind the cold, so long as the sun is shining.
                  But endless days like today (dark, wet, windy, horrible) just send me spiralling into depression.
                  At the beginning of autumn I look forward to a few months of catching up on my sewing (curtains, dresses) ~ but the novelty wears off after a month, and I just want it to be summer again.
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

i love a really clear day with a frost, not a cloud in the sky but cold enough to make your face tingle, the blueness of the sky is intense.

the one thing i hate about winter is shift work, i can go a week without seeing daylight, drive home in morning in the dark, go to bed and up at 4:30pm in the dark and off to work at 7:00pm - not good
                    Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
                    Bob Dylan

Comment

i love starting to prepare for Christmas
                      Stacey x ♫

Comment

The smell of leaves, crisp frosty mornings, not having to clear bindweed 'cos its all dead now!

Comment

Walks out in the woods or around the lanes with the dogs an kicking up leaves, then coming home with hungry bellies to the smell of the stew i left cooking on low in the oven filling the house.
                          The sound of the rain outside my window.

Comment

Another Parkin fan, here, although I come from over the other side of the Pennines to Flum! I also love Curried Parsnip Soup and yesterday had Curried Butternut Squash soup, which was GORGEOUS! Definitely growing those again next year! Although I hate it being dark once I'm home, I do like arriving at the field after work and seeing little pony head peeping over the gate at me. Turning off the headtorch and listening to ponies munching hay is also very relaxing.

Other than that, winter sucks, big time.

Comment

I love crisp frost mornings with the sun shining. It was so frosty here on saturday morning I had to scrape the ice of my car before I could come home from work. Dont forget I live in the south west of england and we dont get much snow I am like a big kid when it does, went up on to the moors a few years ago to take the kids sledging it was great until I hit a rock and flew through the air only to land hard on me bum hurt for weeks after.
                              Its normally wet and windy here and I dont like the rain give me cold sharp days.
                              I love soup and stews with dumplins dont get to do many stews as oh is vegetarian. I'm sure there must be a veggie one I could try.
                              Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                              and ends with backache

Comment

Although I intended this to be a happy thread!!..I must say snow is NOT one of the things I love!!(unless it's at the w/e so Andi can have snowman making duties,whilst I'm caring mummy lovingly preparing the hot chocolate in the warmth of the kitchen!!(I may just pop out with the camera & take a few pics,but the feeling of ice cold snow on my gloves is not my idea of fun!!)
                                the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X