No announcement yet.

How to chose your baby's name.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Son is named George, I've always loved that name and his middle names are Phillip and Charles after his two grandads.
    My little girl is Rose Elizabeth, again cause we both loved the names, it also happened that she was born in 2002, the queens jubilee.
    People comment frequently that we have chosen good English names, St George and English Rose. It was only my horrid BIL that asked why we had named our children after pubs.
    HW choose names that you both really love, after all you'll spend a lot of time saying them.
    Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Originally posted by SueA View Post
      I bet it sounds pretty similar to a 'Manc' accent saying 'Mark' or 'car park', imagine Oasis saying the name ! I used to get the mickey taken out of me because I went to a very slightly posh girls grammar school where some of them had had elocution lessons & although I don't have a very strong accent I tried to modify it.
      Believe it or not my late dad's first name was 'Lord', I would have thought it was illegal to call your child that but maybe they got away with it because he was born in Ireland. Needless to say he was always known by his middle name of 'Stanley'!
      My late f.i.l. was called 'Lancelot' by his mum but being a big tough brickie was always known by his middle name of 'Arthur'! Could have been worse, she could have called him 'Merlin'!
      Weirdly, I do have a close relation called Merlin. Her parents were (both dead now) very straight, and not into Arthurian stuff at all. So goodness knows where the name came from!
      I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

'A friend of mine, a school teacher, found it very hard to pick names for her 2 boys. She said just about every name her husband liked was a no-no because it reminded her of a little horror she'd taught previously!'
        You are so right, flum! It is sooo hard choosing names when there are none that don't remind you of children! I had never taight a Louis or a Dominic so that's prob why we plumped for them.
        When I was pregnant and doing supply teaching with my first child, I used to come home with a list of 'weirdy' names and wind OH up telling him I had chosen! PMSL
        The strangest was Mackensie Panther something or other.

I do find that children with more unusual names tend to be naughtier at school!

We had a builder here over the summer called Millon. My son called him Merlin and they were both pleased!

janeyo

Comment

My B.I.L and his wife are due to have their first child on Christmas Day. We were talking about names and B.I.L has come up with a list of 'rules' to pick a name. This has made it quite difficult to find a name, but it occupied an evening in the pub thinking up possibilities. I think I may have missed some of the 'rules' but his list is: 1) not a name already in the family 2) not a name that can be shortened. 3) not a name that is short for anything 4) not a name that ends in 'ck' sound as their surname starts with a C 5) a name that is easy to spell 6) a name that doesn't have alternative spellings. 7) nothing unusual. We came up with a few girls names, but found that the boy's names were a bit more difficult mainly due to rules 3 and 4.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X