• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bean isn't a good idea - it won't be long before babe is called Has
    aka
    Suzie

Comment

Tis a tricky one!!!
      Our surname is one syllable long so we 'needed' to choose first names with 2 or 3 syllables to make it flow.
      Wanted old , traditional names ...and ended up with biblical ones as they sounded right.
      We changed our minds about our daughter's name 2 days after she was born...than goodness OH hadn't registered the birth!

My In Laws suggested we should choose a first name which went well with Lord or Lady...( just in case!!!!!)

Looking at actors names at the end of films was helpful too- to help work out the ones we didn't like/were OK/liked/liked and fitted with the surname.
      Pen and paper were by the TV for the whole 9 months!!

Suggest saying the names together quickly to make sure it's not a tongue twister too!!

Think about spelling- my first, middle ,maiden and married names are ALWAYS spelt wrong
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

i had convinced myself i was having a girl (wishful thinking) but couldn't come up with any girls names ........ his grandfathers were called donald and norman so those were definitely out, his dad was called logan, and he has a brother called duncan, and sisters lindy and trudy ...... ok too much weirdness going on there ...... his brothers kids were tristan tobias and tamima ..... horibble little brats.

there were a lot of jasons and kylies at the time ....... and my best friends kids ..... he was 6'6" and built like a brick toilet ...... his 2 girls came in at over 9lb ..... no daintiness whatsoever ........ one was called daisy rebecca, the other called scarlet moon ...... ok so i really wasn't up for anything odd ......... so i went for a traditional name but i didn't want something old fashioned ......... so after much searching, and having 2 people we knew and liked called robert .... that was it ..... his dads middle name is james (which i liked), but was also a compromise to rob having my surname

he was actually a week old before he got a name, cos i wanted to be sure.

it's funny really, cos he hasn't ever had another rob at school or college with him, so it's actually an unusual name ...... but not weird lol

you can't rush picking the right name it's with the bean forever.

Comment

Mine was quite simple really. I chose names I liked and suggested them to mum. She agreed. All done. I then went away with the army and when I came back they had been registered with the ones she wanted. That happened to both mine.
          However, a name is just that, I dont call either of them by their given names, just by family nicknames that spring up when they are young.
          Bob Leponge
          Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

My 'real' name is Shelley, and I'd like to say I was named after Shelley Winters or Percy Bysshe Shelley or Mary Shelley ....

Sadly I was named after a character in some sort of sitcom played by Hywel Bennett - romantic or what!!

I don't have kids, but being the organised kind of people OH and I are, we have chosen 1 boys name and 1 girls name already

Comment

I know what you mean Wayne, its a toughy isnt it?
              DH has a boy/girls name so he wont entertain any of those, my nephews are daniel, 3 in his small school, and Alex, 5 in his class, 2 girls 3 boys, I have a very very unusual name, I didnt meet any others till I worked abroad and even then not many, the names at school never really bothered me, and I quite like having a name thats a bit different.
              we had a boys name that we both liked but the abriviation of it is on the most popular list at the moment so thats out unfortunatly, girls names we have a couple, but again not sure yet, its very hard isnt it?
              Yo an' Bob
              Walk lightly on the earth
              take only what you need
              give all you can
              and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Originally posted by OverWyreGrower View Post
                .....I don't have kids, but being the organised kind of people OH and I are, we have chosen 1 boys name and 1 girls name already
                crack on then
                aka
                Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by OverWyreGrower View Post
                  Sadly I was named after a character in some sort of sitcom played by Hywel Bennett - romantic or what!!
                  It was a great show though Shelley
                  A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Originally posted by scarey55 View Post
                    It was a great show though Shelley
                    oooooo yeah, i had a big crush on hywell bennett at that time

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                      Jack has been the number one boys name for the past 5 years.

It's one of those things that kids will come up with rhymes etc regarding names.

!
                      You're so right problem you have is a C surname cause it's just not PC to call someone WC or you'll get in trouble with the DC and they'll just CC the MC who'll do a rap to AC/DC.

Also it's best not to choose a name that'll get shortened to something not nice too - kids can be so cruel
                      Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

My son and daughter in law named their baby boy Orson. I've got used to it now and of course it suits him. I'm just glad that our surname isn't Cart!!

Comment

We came up with sooo many names that we really couldn't go with(as Flummery said earlier associating with people you've known in the past,or suddenly become aware of how it can be shortened/lengthened/put in rhyme etc to cause ridicule at school).Would even sometimes sit of an evening wracking our brains trying to work out not so nice nicknames!I think unfortunately though whatever the name kids will manage to twist it if they want to!(My initials were D.P.at school & I became Hippy~Dippy)
                          Sorry to the point!!Basically as soon as the names Daisy Fae(flower fairy)passed my lips we knew that would be our girls name.Had lots more girls names ready for when the boy was born~unfortunately giving a boy a flowery name really is leaving them open for ridicule!!~so we went for trees instead!Ash Roan.
                          BTW,whilst in my belly Daisy was referred to as "Dot",there's still occassions some of our friends refer to her as Daisy Dot,but I think it's kinda cute!!
                          You'll know when you come across the right one~even if it doesn't happen til they're born!
                          the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

We wanted 'proper' names, nothing silly or fashionable. Our younger son is known by us as Ben and always has been, but he is officially a Benjamin just in case he's ever prime minister. Our daughter Rebecca has never been a Becky though, it just isn't her. Middle names were family names or just names that we liked that 'went' with the first name. Books are useless as you just plough through them going; 'Nope.......nope.........yuk!.......nope'
                            Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

We found out at scan we were having a girl, so thankfully only had to choose girls names! (did have Luke David picked out for a boy in case they got it wrong. David was after my dad and dad-in-law as they are both Davids)

I got a book and we each picked out 10 names we liked. Swapped lists and crossed off the names we didn't like on each others' list. Left us with a list of about 6, and we said we'd see what name suited her when she arrived. Rose was always going to be middle name after my Nan.
                              Kirsty b xx

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
                                crack on then
                                For a boy it will be Alexander James, and for a girl it will be Orla Mary... see, nothing to it!!

Originally posted by lynda66 View Post
                                oooooo yeah, i had a big crush on hywell bennett at that time
                                Yup, so did my mum, that's why I'm called Shelley

Actually, what really annoys me is people asking what it's short for.... NOTHING! It's my name!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X