Magazine wish list for 2006

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magazine wish list for 2006

A few months ago when I joined the forum as a junior member I asked for the Boffins at the GYO magazine to write something about companion planting. OK what I really did was ask questions about companion planting and then lay heavy hints.
    In the December issue the Boffins came up trumps with the goods. A nice piece, with a list of good companions for growing together.
    Thinking forward to my spring planting and the companions I am planning to try this year; I wondered what other Grapes would like to see covered in future issues? Obviously there is no guarantee that the Boffins will be able to cover all the subjects, but it would be good to know what people are interested in?
    Jax

It would be nice to see a running series/diary on a beginner gardener or allotment holder. Being a beginner myself I think I will learn a lot from this.

Comment

I'd be interested in something about planting by the moon, because I think it sounds interesting but everything I read about it seems quite complicated

Comment

I want longer, more in depth articles on vegetables and fruit. At the moment you just get a snippet of information - I want to read more.

Something to involve allotments. Maybe featuring different ones each month and a page where allotments can send in their news. I realise that the magazine is published in advance but there must be a way to include allotment sites.
        [

Comment

Heritage

I would like something on heritage varieties, specifically tomatoes, there are so many out there - not all tasting like tomatoes (growing one next year that tastes more like a grape). But it would be rather good to have an article that looks at some the varieties we have lost and possibly combine it with old ways of growing - some of the old techniques are the best (heck maybe we could all write it together?).

Andrewo
          Best wishes
          Andrewo
          Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Allotment feature

I agree with WiZeR about featuring an allotment.

Either following one that is starting and going through the planning phase, preparation and into planting. It could be followed closely for the first year and then quarterly from the second year onwards (with website updates available).

Or featuring subscribers allotments. Beryl has a great website but it would be great to see huge pictures of it and from higher up so you can get a better idea of how they have laid it out. Beryl - I do not mean any offence by this. It's just I think it looks so amazing I'd like to see even more pictoral detail so I can get more info off it!. Geordie, Jax and Lesley_Jay post a lot of good info so I'd like to see theirs as well. I think it would be a real achievement to get your allotment/veg plot featured and would show that the magazine is really listening to the readers comments and wishes.

GYO editor Georgina Wroe has 2 allotments I think (magazine not to hand) so perhaps she should be first!!

Not everyone might be comfortable with it so it could be featured whenever it suited if they can't get enough volunteers.
            Dave

Do what you enjoy, or learn to enjoy what you do - life is too short.

Comment

A fairer way

Just thought, they could feature Patio gardeners or polytunnel gardeners etc. Just remembered the magazine appeals to a large cross section and not all will have a veg plot or allotment.
              Dave

Do what you enjoy, or learn to enjoy what you do - life is too short.

Comment

Mag Wish List

Some good ideas already posted
                As Lesley suggested - more in-depth articles on veg growing - possibly based along lines of a loose / flexible calendar for each type or group of veg. Could also include discussion of heritage varieties ( as per AndrewO) and comparison of those to the more modern varieties
                Wizer suggested a beginner's guide and I think this would be very popular - everytime you look in any gardening press or food magazine, the number of people returning to GYO is increasing - the popularity of GYO magazine and the Grapevine speak for that in itself - as does the River Cottage phenomenon.
                Dni Dave suggested features on real allotments / veg plots/ veg gardens and suggested that subscribers tothe mag or the forum should be considered. Good idea - would be interesting to see the plots we all speak about and how any problems are overcome.
                Cheers y'all
                Rat
                Rat

British by birth
                Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

I would like to see occasional articles about gardening tasks achieved previously. eg how Victorians extendd the growing season as they were expected to produce veg for 12 months of the year, or how did they construct a 'hot bed' for melons etc etc.I am not sure whether I am an old, new fangled gardner or a new fangled, old gardner?
                  Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

pruning advice?

I'd love a comprehensive article on pruning fruit bushes and trees. I got a cherry tree for christmas, and everything I read on the net or in books only seems to confuse me more! Diagrammatic pics would be great. With explanations of the jargon, and reasons why we're supposed to do what. Hope the bods at GYO can oblige!

Comment

Readers Tips

Hi All,

I would like to see a reader's tips section as we all look to find easier ways to do something. We seem to have it all here but not everyone has access to the internet so maybe a section like this would help.

Regards abd a Very Happy New Year to all.

Looloo

Comment

I am working away on my home made wormery, but all the information I have comes from the net. I would love to see a detailed article on vermacomposting.
                        Jax

Comment

Strikes me there may just be a slight conflict of interests here. I have in mind on one hand the desire of the enthusiasts who populate this forum to have meatier articles, features, and on the other hand the inescapable need of the publishers to sell magazines. From the point of view of the latter, it's probably best to have a multiplicity of short, highly-illustrated articles on currently popular topics than fewer in-depth articles appealing to the passionate. Me, I'm for the ideas expressed by such as Lesley and Dave. In fact, I never buy one of these mags- GYO or KG- without regretting the purchase, they're so insubstantial and the articles are so superficial and repetitive ( i.e. we had the same flimsy feature at this time last year).

Comment

Fancy fonts

I'd like to have the fancy script font (the one printed in pink, nothing against the colour though) replaced with a plain sans serif font.

Comment

I'm with you Geordie only I'm and onld fangle old gardner .... well thats what the Kids call me (heavily censored version ) My favourite video's have to be the Victorian kichen garden, flower garden etc, Mind you I would like the 20 od members of staff to do the lottie for me, then I could spend more time on line
                              ntg
                              Never be afraid to try something new.
                              Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                              A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                              ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X