No announcement yet.

What have you recently rediscovered?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luckily (or not, if you're trying to get into nice new bikini for hols), there's a stylish old fashioned sweet shop at the end of our road. Owned by two young women who were nostalgic for sweeties! So if anyone wants me to pick them up a quarter of bon-bons...

Going back to rediscovering, I've just finished sourcing the first editions of my favourite books as a child, for our baby girl when she's old enough to have stories read to her. Does anyone else know Hilda Boswell's illustrations for children's poetry? Gorgeous stuff.

And back to sweeties; I love the little liquorice jelly things covered with bits, also seem to be the only person alive who remembers Cello bars and Cabanas, and always have time for
    a lemon sherbert myself. At school, the sweetie craze was for sherbert pips and "coal dust" (blergh!). Oh and scampi and lemon flavour nic nacs!
    I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Just to be different I re-discovered chooks!
      Had Banties when I was was a kid and now I've got the grown up version!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

i have rediscovered my youth!!! just cause i over 40 doesnt mean i cant have fun!!

Especially when i found a pack of rosey apples in the garden centre the other day, yum yum!

Comment

We have an old fashioned sweet shop OH likes to visit cos they also sell vegetarian sweets and they are in jars.
          Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
          and ends with backache

Comment

I love Wham bars, the sticks in dib dabs (two tone pastel coloured lollies very similar) scampi and lemon nik nacs. We used to buy rice paper on the way to school too.

Anyone remember pacers or pyramints.
            Tammy x x x x
            Fine and Dandy but busy as always

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

Stay at home Mum (and proud of it) to Bluebelle(8), Bashfull Bill(6) and twincesses Pea & Pod (2)!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
              Not edibles, old favourites in reading. The Green Knowe books, and "The Little White Horse" by Elizabeth Goudge. I am still hoping to find a copy of "City of Bells".
              Oh, and "the Middle Watch", still has me laughing so hard I cry! e-bay has brought me a lot of pleasure in the last few years (music too, a lot of that 'old favourites' as well).......
              I too love the Green Knowe books and Elizabeth Goudge and, somewhere,in a box I have lots of her books. If City of Bells is there you shall have it!

Comment

I remember cabanas, and the aniseed jelly sweets in allsorts are (I think) called spogs!
                Find the name pleeeease!
                In round about 1974 ish....
                about an inch square and about 1/4 inch deep! wrapped in thin waxed paper, they came in yellow, red, orange, and green....red was cherry I think.
                They were sort of a soapy, refresher like- though more powdery! were they perhaps called fizz-bombs? I would love to find these again, been driving me nuts for years now!

Comment

Have a looksie here:

SweetSelecta is the coolest place to buy Fun, Old-fashioned, Retro and Traditional Sweets. We stock all your childhood favourites and hundreds more!

A Quarter Of, the Best Sweets Ever, Retro Traditional, Old-Fashioned Sweets - UK Online Sweetshop
                  A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Oooh, scampi and lemon nic nacs - slaver, slurp. I'd forgotten about them!
                    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                      Oooh, scampi and lemon nic nacs - slaver, slurp. I'd forgotten about them!
                      They don't smell anywhere near as fishy as they used to.
                      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

It's your jaded nose Wayne!
                        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Licquorice and Kali (spelling? kay-lie) I remember this as one of my very favourites "in the olden times", 1950's. That stick of licquorice could last at least 2 2oz paper cone bags if you kept licking and dipping and didn't bite it How many other kids used to have a dip as well doesn't bear thinking about these days! My sisters and I used to get 2oz each of different colours so we could all have a dip in each other's - except 1 sister always put loads of spit on her stick and got a great big mouthful
                          My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Wheat crunchies.& I still have to try & blow a tune with each one!!
                            Also after years of searching I managed to get a copy of "Ned The Lonely Donkey"recently~my absolute favourite book as a child~still as good now as it was then!My new excuse now for hoarding is that the kiddies may want it when they're older so nothing gets thrown!!I'm sure they'll thank me in years for the boxes upon boxes of tat I'm saving them now just in case there's one little something they curse me for throwing out!!
                            the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

What have I recently discovered?

When I was 17 - I knew everything there was to know

When I was 27 - I realised my dad may have been right sometimes

When I was 37 - I realised my dad knew quite a bit really

When I was 47 - I realised I didn't know much at all

When I was 57 - I realised I knew nothing and had better keep my head down until I retired

When I was 67 - I realised what I had learnt

When I was 77 - I realised I should have done a lot more in my life

Now I'm 87 - I don't care and I wear purple

Comment

When my mum went to visit her sister in oz a few years back my cousin asked her to try and get the fireball gobstoppers(he remembered having them when they had visited us as kids) they were red then white the red was so hot you had to take it out to let your mouth cool down.we struggled to find them for him.

Stacey was given a copy of goodnight mr Tom for her birthday a few years back its almost permanantly by her bed must have read it 20+ times for me it was danny champion of the world brings back fond memories of reading in class with a teacher who was good at accents for each character.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X