No announcement yet.

The Common Reader!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's been bugging me for a while that I didn't get on that well with Hardy and I think I should try again. I never really got 'into' the books, didn't really care about the characters etc.

Recently read:

Elizabeth and her German Garden by Elizabeth Von Arnim. Not full of useful gardening tips(!) but a gentle read for when you're 'between books'. If I enjoy a book I like to read them again and I will read this one again one day.

The Tenderness of Wolves by Stef Penney - liked this a lot.

Enjoyed the Time Traveller's Wife - that made me cry!

Iain Banks - The Business. I've tried several others of his, but I only really enjoyed The Business.

I didn't hate the Da Vinci Code, but it isn't a good book and I won't be reading it again!

I also listen to talking books at night Bephlam - seems to deal nicely with any sleeping problems! At the moment I'm listening to No 1 Ladies Detective Agency, Alexander McCall Smith. I love these books, but mine are doing the rounds of my daughters at the moment!

I haven't come across No Time for Goodbye...yet. I checked out some reviews, but I think with books the only way I'll really find out is to read it myself! So if it's still in Tesco I'll add it to my shopping list!
    Life is too short for drama & petty things!
    So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

Made my way through a couple whilst on holiday.

I'm a big fan of David Mitchell having read Cloud Atlas (at the forth attempt), so I bought the rest of his books via Amazon (couple of quid each), and read Black Swan Green whilst on holiday. If anyone like me is of a certain age (early 30's), then you should read this book. It's written from the point of view of a boy growing up around the late seventies, early eighties, and some of the observations/anecdotes are absolutely spot on. I found myself laughing outloud on several occasions and uttering "so true" far too often.

I also read Fight Club by Chuck Palahnuik - differs slightly from the film, more of a off-centre love story and observation of modern materialistic culture. Not everyone's cup'o'tea, but worth a read if you liked the film.

I'm about halfway through Ghostwritten (David Mitchell's first book), and it's several interlinked stories, much like Cloud Atlas. Each story makes passing reference to the previous, but you get the feeling that all the links will tie up in the end. Some of the characters/plots take a bit of getting your head round, but make sense by the end of each.

Also reading Gerald's Game by Stephen King, read almost everything he's ever written and have been disappointed with his recent works, but this seems to be more like the Stephen King of old. Only about a third of the way through, so there's still time for him to mess it up.
      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

HW: freaky - I'm also halfway through Ghostwritten...hoping for a great ending. I read Number 9 Dream first, what a whirligig of a book, totally recommend it.

And No Time for Goodbye is a great book. So it The Time Traveller's Wife, great stuff.

Not read the Da Vinci Code, and wouldn't ever do so.

I can't stand Hardy, or Hardly as I call him. My OH loves him and has been watching Toss - er I mean Tess...Just horrible stories, I don't like them at all.

Fave of all time, Pnin by Nabakov

Just love Pnin, in fact I was thinking to myself this morning before reading this that once I've finished Ghostwritten, I'm re-reading Pnin.
        Last edited by zazen999; 03-10-2008, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by petal View Post
          The Forgotten Garden - Kate morton.
          read this last week on hol, beautifully written and really enjoyed it
          The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

I love the Phillippa Gregory books based around the Tudor era. I also liked Earthly Joys.

Currently working through 'The Girls', by Lorrie Lansen (I think that was the author!). Finding it a bit hard going to be honest, after a promising start.

Comment

Stephen King is a fave of mine always grab the latest. Dean Koontz is excellent (similar/identical to King) and Dick Francis of course.

Most favourite book of all time 'Marley & Me' - John Grogan (Best true doggie story ever written)
              Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Gosh, where to start.
                Have read through this week
                the third in conn igguldons chengis khan series 'Bones of the hills'
                alison weir's biographies on 'kathryn Swynford' and 'Eleanor of Aquitaine', also her novel ' The Lady Elizabeth'
                The third in the 'Eragon' series 'Brisinger' by Christopher paolini

OH and the new Pratchett 'Nation' I never miss a TP, have all of them.
                and am currently re-reading the 'virgin queen' from my phillipa gregory collection.

as you can see, I am a VERY naughty girl when it comes to book purchases.
                Vive Le Revolution!!!
                'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
                Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

Oh yes, I read Marley and Me! I second that recommendation. Lovely book!

Comment

Ohhh, books!!! My passion - apart from gardening of course!!!

I've recently read No Time For Goodbye, had it pressed on me (happily) by a friend ... too many others to mention .... currently just started Odd Thomas by Dean Koonz. So far doesnt seem like his usual fare, but I havent got very far yet with it.

Love too many authors to list really, so you all bring it on and I'll chip in now and then ....

Oh, sorry, must mention one of my all time favs and what I consider a must read by all - The Secret Hunters!
                    Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Moggssue, Odd Thomas is a very good book and with some excellent sequels. Read that one in Mexico a few years back, nice memories.
                      Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

yup cool count me in already reading adult books
                        Stacey x ♫

Comment

I recently read the Time Travellers Wife and made the mistake of reading the end while sitting on a train. Had to try very hard not to cry while surrounded by other people on the train!! Very good book though.

Comment

The Other boleyn by .........thingummy much better than film. What a git Henry was.

Comment

I really enjoyed the Time Traveller's Wife too. I also have to read all of Pratchett's and am quite happy to re-read them. I like Iain Banks but prefer him with his M. when he writes Sci-fi. I have read the first Conn Igullden (have I spelled that right?) Julius Caesar book and also the first Genghis Khan one. Really enjoyed both of those. Julius Caesar is probably my hero - have to read everything I can about him, even though he wasn't much of a gardener, it was a joke that if you were in Caesar's army you did more digging than fighting! I would love to join a 'book club' but can only really find time to read in school holidays so that's a bit limiting. Mind you it bucketed with rain here yesterday and I read a Kathy Reichs novel - I like police/detective procedurals too!

Comment

I've started a new list! I keep a small notebook with a seed list in my bag, in case I find myself somewhere with interesting seeds. Now I've started a book list with some of your recommendations! Bit of a problem, working in a small town, nothing very interesting to do at lunchtimes but there are 3 bookshops!
                                Life is too short for drama & petty things!
                                So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X