No announcement yet.

Insomnia

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had periods of waking up in the night and struggling to get back to sleep, it's always 3am (the witching hour). When I wake at this time I always fret about things that aren't important in the daytime, this stimulates my brain and makes it harder to return to sleep. It can turn into a habit and can go on for weeks. I've now found that it is best to try to break the cycle early. If I wake up I don't look at the clock as this reinforces the habit. Then, if I'm desperate, I'll take a sleeping table for a few days, this usually stops the cycle.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Michael Pollan

Comment

Have you thought about being a taxi driver, I remember a programme on the box about a man that had an accident and as a result damaged the part of his brain that controlled his need to sleep, so he couldn't ever!!

As a result he moved to New York and became a taxi driver. Its worth a thought!!
      I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

i had an early night last night, got to sleep around 2am, though i did wake up at 6 but the gardening books are definitely helping me drop off

Comment

I do sympathise. I suffer on and off and also get frustrated with advice from people who sleep through hurricanes. I go from one extreme to the other, currently being in a sleep-for-England stage. This makes me equally knackered!!

Comment

I used to have insomnia, then one night I had a sleep deprived epiphany. I had to set a bed time and stick to it. So, I start at 6 with no more caffiene. Ten hrs before I am due to get up, I stop doing anything stressful, stimulating, or challenging to let my body get used to the idea of resting for three hours. Then, if my thoughts are still racing after all of that at bed time, I listen to a CD for passive-progressive muscular relaxation on my portable cd player. I usually cannot last past the first minute or so of that one. If I wake up, I just turn it back on again. Works great.

Comment

I've suffered for almost as long as I can remember. If I get 4 hours I've had a 'great' night's sleep. Thank heavens for all night tv these days!

My restlessness has become much worse with that certain age-related stuff - you know girls - one minute hot the next cold.

Just lately I've also got something wrong with my wrist/hand - the result I think of a second shoulder strain this year. Constant pins and needles for 2 weeks and 3 times in the last week excruciating cramp like feelings in the fingers. If I'd had an axe handy I'd have gladly chopped off my hand the pain was that bad. Really frightened my son last week - I mean the pain was at the screaming level it was that bad - but don't think its anything more serious than tunnel carpel whatsits.

He did - bless him - prepare me a glass of warm milk and nutmeg. I could only manage half as I'm not that keen on warm milk. But do you know what? It did the trick just as well as half a sleeper, possibly better! Try it - what have you to lose?

Comment

Tis your over active brains that keep you awake..

empty your minds..

then you shall sleep...

Geo..

Comment

both my mum and sis are insomniacs, for me, i could sleep on a washing line and also sleep through totally anything, well apart from the kids when they wake up! sorry guys i do totally sympathise x

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post

empty your minds..

then you shall sleep...

Geo..
                    but if i emptied all the sawdust out it would make a mess on the carpet .... theres nowt overactive about my brain ...... if it was any less active it would be in a full on coma ..... instead of just semi comatose

Comment

Originally posted by squashysu View Post
                      i could sleep on a washing line and also sleep through totally anything,
                      was like that till i hit 30, then something must have gone wrong ....... though once i'm asleep theres very little that will wake me up, theres just no point trying to sleep till my body is ready ..... usually between 2-3 am, though i do try to get to bed between 12-1, so at least i'm resting. most mornings i'm up by 6-7 ..... it's really annoying, cos i really need 12 hours a night lol

Comment

When I was driving truck full time you soon learned to get your head down and sleep any chance you got. We were always told "You've got 2 choices - eat or sleep when you have nothing to do" Over the 12 years that I drove full time that was probably the best advice I was given as I can sit down and sleep at any time of the day or night( can eat 24 hrs a day to - but thats another story).
                        Best advice I can give you is not to fight it and if your life allows it- be active when you are up to it and rest when your not.When your body needs rest it will let you know and all you have to do is recognise the signs that your getting tired - try not to keep going to you pass out through exaustion though - it's not funny trust me I know.
                        There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. Don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it in your future.

Comment

Darn it...

Nytol clearly doesn't work 3 nights on the run!
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Geo

empty your minds..

then you shall sleep...

Geo..
                            Or in my case hormones.

Having a nice cup of tea and will go back to bed when I'm tired - probably some time around 06:00!
                            To see a world in a grain of sand
                            And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I've just spent the night hooked up to a machine to see what's wrong with my sleep patterns. It was bloody uncomfortable, thank goodness I've only got to do it once - so far, spent most of the night awake thinking about whether it's working properly, properly rigged up etc.

I'm not usually a worrier, just not sleeping properly no matter how tired I get, the doc thinks it's to do with all the medication I'm taking now, tho he's changed some of it that made me get up in the night to pee.

Hey ho, at least it's pitch black here at night and relatively quiet - may take up recording night bird calls for a hobby.
                              TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Could take up night gardening I suppose
                                http://www.freewebs.com/notesfromtheplot/ **updated**

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X