Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh please give us a break - how complicated is this site getting?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep...looks like it...I've just visited your profile now Tony!..boy do you know how to impress a gal!

( that should get your snooper numbers up a bit Tony!!!)
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

just had a little grope around,clicked my own profile,,then visitor box,i think it very invasive of other peoples private words,if i can see others,then others will see mine,see confusion,it feels a bit like being striped naked.
      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

do I have this right?
        Visitor messages are public.
        Private messages are (still) private.

(look at me, I've turned all invisible )
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos
          Yep...looks like it...I've just visited your profile now Tony!..boy do you know how to impress a gal!

Can't say I'm a fan of all the Facebookery - I shall just ignore it! I don't like the 'be my friend' malarkey. The options are yes or no - when I might just want to say 'whatever'. I don't want to p*ss people off so I'll just say 'yes' to everyone (although no-ones asking!), but will others get upset cos people have said 'no'? Will they feel unloved?

What's REALLY annoying me most - I want to use smiley's and still you can only use FOUR??? (including images etc!) - Why? [grumpy]
          Last edited by smallblueplanet; 19-07-2008, 08:39 AM.
          To see a world in a grain of sand
          And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I joined up yesterday and I'm a bit confused at present, clicking all over the place trying to find my way round. I know I'll get used to it eventually, but in the meantime if I click in the wrong place and snoop/ignore/ask the wrong questions, in the wrong place/go private/go public/make friends/break friends/whatever, please forgive me....in the meantime, I've lost my profile......I just put it down for a moment...I know it was here earlier.......oh it's stopped raining, I'm off!
            Life is too short for drama & petty things!
            So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

Rant ...

I think this has been handled badly.

I would have:

1) made an announcement before hand (maybe there was, I didn't see it) including when the down-time would be.

First I knew was when the site was down yesterday. It said "we'll be back shortly", but their idea of Shortly - 5 hours - is different to mine. (The post-history has no posts from approx 10:30 to 15:30 yesterday)

2) made an announcement of the "New Site" and what the features were. I've seen one from Ben way down someone else's post. It didn't highlight many, if any, of the issues that have been raised.

3) Been much more on hand after-the-event to quickly deal with any issues. I haven't seen Admin in these threads

and 4) I would have done the upgrade at the quietest day and hours for the site - which I expect is 1am - 6am. We never update our sites on a Friday because the technical people are not available at weekends, and if it all goes pear-shaped the punters have the whole weekend to be cheesed off.

"how on earth can one have a private snoop without being caught out"

I haven't tried it, but maybe:

User CP

Edit options

Check : "Use Invisible Mode"

In my opinion that sort of feedback-to-users is misplaced. Telling the individual who has looked at THEIR profile might be valid, telling everyone who has looked at anything isn't.

"But if you get confused with 'visitor messages' it could be a bit embarrassing?"

Agreed, I will be amazed if that feature does not cause considerable consternation to users in the coming months. Why would I want to send an individual a message which was public? This place is stacked full of public forums!

"Also always been curious to know what happens if you add someone to your ignore list?("

I have done it with spammers. There is just a blank message, in the thread, indicating that the message by XYZ has been suppressed.

That said, upgrading is often a necessary evil. New version fixes a bunch of bugs, introduces new features (no doubt there will be some to like, as well as some not to like) - normally they can be ignored, but if everyone's email address is now "shown" that's not good), plus new bugs.

Also, falling a long way behind with upgrades is bad news - support folk will be forgetting what the issues are with an old version, long since fixed, and so on.

But I'm not a fan of upgrade-for-upgrade's-sake ...
              K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post

Thank you Nicos, I do, blimey, see getting older does have some advantages.
                But I think my profile is pretty bland but perhaps not!!
                TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Originally posted by TonyF View Post
                  Thank you Nicos, I do, blimey, see getting older does have some advantages.
                  But I think my profile is pretty bland but perhaps not!!
                  See now I'm all curious but do I don't I?If I ask 1st does that count as snooping?!
                  the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Have just logged on for the first time in ages - I know...... Been a tad busy here and I've been setting up my website and working on CT stuff some of which has a bit of a gardening theme (cut some lavender for macerating at the beginning of the week).

I can see I've got a lot of catching up to do now it's gone all wizzy, although most of the stuff still seems clearly labelled to me. I shall probably ignore the bits I don't like/want to use/don't understand for the time being.
                    Bright Blessings
                    Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Originally posted by andi&di View Post
                      See now I'm all curious but do I don't I?If I ask 1st does that count as snooping?!
                      i did lol ..... couldn't resist seeing what was attractive to us girlies

has anyone worked out how to hide their email address yet? i don't want it visible to everyone, thats how i ended up with loads of spam on my last email addy, and i don't want to have to change this one
                      Last edited by lynda66; 19-07-2008, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Allow V card downloads
                        If you want to keep your email address private, do not allow vCard downloads.

This is an option in your user CP. Am I to assume this will keep your Em addy private???

I've just had a scout around some other personnal profiles and no Em addies were displayed.
                        Last edited by terrier; 19-07-2008, 11:20 AM.
                        I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by terrier View Post
                          Allow V card downloads
                          If you want to keep your email address private, do not allow vCard downloads.

This is an option in your user CP. Am I to assume this will keep your Em addy private???

I've just had a scout around some other personnal profiles and no Em addies were displayed.
                          v card downloads are unticked, but on my contact details the email is still there, is it just cos i'm signed in as me then?

ok i just sussed it you have to untick the allow emails from other members ...... nearly all the profiles i looked at have their email addys showing.

Lynda xx
                          Last edited by lynda66; 19-07-2008, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                            Logged on tonight - took ages.
                            time to get BroadBand, Rusty
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by lynda66 View Post
                              v card downloads are unticked, but on my contact details the email is still there, is it just cos i'm signed in as me then?

ok i just sussed it you have to untick the allow emails from other members ...... nearly all the profiles i looked at have their email addys showing.

Lynda xx
                              OK, tried that. Hopefully my Em is now invisible. We're just the same, absolutely plagued with spam.
                              I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by terrier
                                OK, tried that. Hopefully my Em is now invisible. We're just the same, absolutely plagued with spam.
                                Can't see it, but then again I don't know where it was showing!
                                To see a world in a grain of sand
                                And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X