Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
    You two hide, I'll stand guard.
    You stand guard, they can hide. I'll throw the things back, after putting pointy objects on them!

They call me Linda Truss at work (or is it Lynda?!?). I kick myself repeatedly when I type a response and then spot mistakes after posting it.

The most amusing one recently was seeing a car with "Julies' Driving School" plastered all over it. A lot of Julies giving instruction? Or an exclusive school for those with a particular name?

That's terrible about the homework. Of course teachers can make mistakes, but homework sheets are normally planned in advance and such a mistake should be picked up in a quick proof-reading, shuddent it?

Comment

There is another error in that sentence.

It isn't:
      Many ______ ago, their lived a boy called Danny.

It should be:
      Many ______ ago, there lived a boy called Danny.

Comment

So can we correct everyone's posts now??
        There is someone one this forum with a whole business based on a spelling mistake - should we point it out? (tee hee)
        (still hiding with two sheds and a lofty guard)
        Tx

Comment

Originally posted by tootles View Post
          So can we correct everyone's posts now??
          There is someone one this forum with a whole business based on a spelling mistake - should we point it out? (tee hee)
          (still hiding with two sheds and a lofty guard)
          Someone one? If someone one, surely someone has lost two?
          A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Opppppppppppppppps.
            I could go back and correct that........................
            Tx

Comment

It has become quite ridiculous. The English language has changed unbelievably in the past few years. Spelling mistakes, even in official documents, have become quite common, but what really bugs me is the loss of perfectly good words. "Audience", as I knew it, was used when one was referring to listeners, which seems sensible when it comes from the Latin root "to hear". However now you even see "the mime show audience" and the "cricket audience". Bring back spectators, congregations, crowds, viewers, assemblies - I could go on. There are many others that make me cringe, such as "AMOUNT of people", but I'll stop here, as this is becoming a rant.
              Last edited by Tam; 03-07-2008, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tam View Post
                It has become quite ridiculous. The English language has changed unbelievably in the past few years. Spelling mistakes, even in official documents, have become quite common, but what really bugs me is the loss of perfectly good words. "Audience", as I knew it, was used when one was referring to listeners, which seems sensible when it comes from the Latin root "to hear". However now you even see "the mime show audience" and the "cricket audience". Bring back spectators, congregations, crowds, viewers, assemblies - I could go on. There are many others that make me cringe, such as "AMOUNT of people", but I'll stop here, as this is becoming a rant.
                You are correct. The English language isn't quite what it used to be.
                When I hear the way some children speak nowdays, it sounds like a differnent language alltogether.

Comment

Go on rant away - you know you really want to!
                  I think we need to make more of a stand, otherwise everything is levelled at the lowest common denominator. Whoever thought that everything in life should be "inclusive" and equal was mad and should be taken outside.......
                  Tx

Comment

Does anyone else get told off for correcting people?, i get called a snob and perfectionist if i tell someone that they have used the wrong word. Conversely though people come to me when they want the right word for something. You can't (or should that be cannot) win!
                    Damned if you do and damned if you don't (i mean do not lol)
                    Happy Gardening!

Comment

I used to!!
                      I can't correct anyone here though - and they are all too polite to correct me!!
                      I think most people just thought I was a bit of a scary pedant though. Mind you I was given the odd job application to go over though so, clearly when it came down to it, others thought it mattered too..
                      Tx

Comment

Don't get me started!

I even text in full sentences with punctuation

I suspect it's down to people using spell check and grammar check - which of course are based on American English and are therefore WRONG

(Sorry to any Americans out there!)

Comment

I gesus you wno't mnid me wtahcnig waht hpapnes wtih tihs trehad, I tinhk its vrey fnuny. Who craes if you cna't selpl, you all udnresootd tihs.
                          I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

What???
                            I'm sorry, my Welsh is a little rusty!
                            Tx

Comment

Originally posted by tootles View Post
                              What???
                              I'm sorry, my Welsh is a little rusty!
                              Come on now me lovely, you is knowing what me saying, isn't it.
                              I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Originally posted by Pootle View Post
                                Don't get me started!

I even text in full sentences with punctuation
                                Me too. It drives my kids mad. I also always sign said texts, but I'm told that there's absolutely no need as only I would write that way.
                                Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X