Looking for a frit and veg gardener!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi there

Retiring in 5 years at 40; what an excellent thing to be able to do.

For my 2p, you'll learn more just popping a few seeds in the ground and looking after them for year 1. You'll be addicted by year 2 though so watch out.

My first proper growing year I was living in Nottingham, and working in Luton so very very early starts and very very late nights, but with only a little time each evening it is amazing what you can grow. i only wish I had added french beans into my year 1 trial; as it was we started with toms, onions, carrots, sprouts, broccoli and leeks - with some lettuce/spinach/celery and we were given a cucumber and 2 courgette plants - all grown in plastic containers and a resounding success.

If you do find someone to assist, make sure they keep a growing diary for you to refer to in later years; and get them to stick the seed packets in so that you can record what was grown when. There is nothing as annoying as 'what was that tomato called again, it was fabulous...'.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Knapp View Post

Just a quick one for a mod! I tried to subscribe to the mag but the links do not work.

Grow Your Own Magazine none of them work LOL

Somone needs putting on the compost heap lol
      I have E-mailed Dave.
      Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Perhaps a word with your local allotments people might deliver up a sprightly pensioner or semi-retired, who will probably have many years of both old/new methods he/she can pass on and will be no doubt very grateful for any additional pocket money.

Also an older person may be more reliable - in many senses - and less likely to take advantage (more trustworthy?). Not saying that there aren't a loy of good youngsters out there - but they're still learning! If you only say need the input for the first year and perhaps occasionally thereafter - that may be the best of both worlds for both parties.

A couple of good books - try the library first to see which ones you might like to later buy as 'bible' reference copies. And a sub to GYO would not serve you ill (commission please!). And pose any questions you have here - there is a wealth of knowledge at you fingertips right here.

Good luck with your growing project and hope your retirement dreams come true.

Comment

hi paul i live to far away or id offer to do it for you, but many are quite simple to have a go at and you could put the money towards plants instead, i started from scratch, with little knowledge and have found im really quite good as this fruit and veg growing. i grow the following strawberries, gooseberries, raspberries, japenese wineberry, gojiberry, blueberry, cranberry, rhubarb, potatoes, spring onions, carrots, radishes, parsley, corriander, chives, ediable lavender, rosemary, dill, sage, basil, peppers tomatoes and cucumber i also have 7 fruit trees and a 3 year old who loves gardening. i also go to a garden club where we grow all kinds of other fruit and veg on a large communial allotment. you can send me a message and if i can help or advice you i will but get a good gardening book like a percy thrower one you can get of ebay or amazon really cheap and like mine it will be your bible, then just have a bash and save the cash. knowledge comes through having a go as every soil is different, so there way may not always work for your garden. hope this helps.

Comment

Why not just look on this forum? Except for the "spade work" itself you could learn all you need to know.

Comment

if you give me bed, board and booze I'll be there
              aka
              Suzie

Comment

Hurrah.

Originally posted by seasprout View Post
                I have E-mailed Dave.
                Had a reply from Dave.... He's Fixed the Links.
                Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X