River Cottage Spring

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mikeywills View Post
    The bits I like best are his wild foraging meals, they are so much more informative and interesting than the rest.
    That is exactly first got me into river cottage, I have been told of a book that shows what is edible and what is not, but have been unable to find it, any recomendations would be great.

The foraging meal last night looked absolutely fantastic, simple and FREE, surely thats the way to go.

But all said and done at least the born again meat eater wont be on next week as I am sure it was her farewell meal last night,, after all she has had her fame now.

Was also good seing old tyres, toilet roll tubes, newspaper and rain gutter being put to use,, ALL the things that are mentioned time after time on this forum,, Maybee Hugh is a secret member of this and uses all of your ideas for his creativeness ?

Comment

Originally posted by Chillimad View Post
      That is exactly first got me into river cottage, I have been told of a book that shows what is edible and what is not, but have been unable to find it, any recomendations would be great.

The foraging meal last night looked absolutely fantastic, simple and FREE, surely thats the way to go.

But all said and done at least the born again meat eater wont be on next week as I am sure it was her farewell meal last night,, after all she has had her fame now.

Was also good seing old tyres, toilet roll tubes, newspaper and rain gutter being put to use,, ALL the things that are mentioned time after time on this forum,, Maybee Hugh is a secret member of this and uses all of your ideas for his creativeness ?
      One of the classics is Food for Free by Richard Mabey but I'm sure there are more. Have you tried Amazon?

I too was glad to see lots more doing stuff.
      TGR

Comment

Originally posted by trebellangeminired View Post
        One of the classics is Food for Free by Richard Mabey but I'm sure there are more. Have you tried Amazon?

Thankyou for the recommendation, will Go and check the library first,, tight old sod I am

Comment

Originally posted by trebellangeminired View Post

Same one came to my mind, have been meaning to get it for some time, but haven't got around to it. Same goes for mushroom hunting, I've been tempted to go on one of those courses that teach you what to collect and where to find it. I guess I must be really tight fisted.
          I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Same one came to my mind, have been meaning to get it for some time, but haven't got around to it. Same goes for mushroom hunting, I've been tempted to go on one of those courses that teach you what to collect and where to find it. I guess I must be really tight fisted.
            I have several books on mushrooms, but have been too scared to try most of the Fungi that it shows as there always seems to be a poisonous one that looks identicle

Comment

Originally posted by Chillimad View Post
              I have several books on mushrooms, but have been too scared to try most of the Fungi that it shows as there always seems to be a poisonous one that looks identicle
              Hence I think the course might help me.

Comment

Well I couldn't help but watch tonight, and for the most part I thought it was a very good show. I still don't like being preached to over chicken and I wish HFW would come down of his high horse a little. Having spent the last few days thinking about making gooseberry and elderflower jam, I now have a few other options, which is great.

The surrey show and the pigs reminded me of what it was like taking part in the Royal Welsh Show as a kid, and this year will be the first time I'll take DD to share in some of my fondest childhood memories.

Am I alone in thinking HFW was making a bit of a pass at his hairdresser, and the others were just on the boat to make up the numbers.

Comment

was pleased that the point of fat content in factory chooks was brought up,a point i think they missed out on in the chicken out series.a lot of people still opt for chicken with the misconception that it's low fat,think more would opt out of buying the factory cheapies if they only realised that the fat content was poss equivelent to red meat!
                  only moan about tonight was that i was already feeling we hadn't planted enough garlic!now i know we havent!didnt the roast wet garlic look heavenly!(or was i looking at hugh?!)
                  the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

The fat chook scenario seems obvious when you think about it, its a forced fed bird, its never going to be a healthy option. I don't read the papers, but I do wish him well with his fight against Tescos, what was the statistic 1 in every £8 is spend there, if he can change their minds on the topic, perhaps it can truly make a difference. Asda is still cheaper though.

Comment

Well I couldn't help but watch tonight, and for the most part I thought it was a very good show. I still don't like being preached to over chicken and I wish HFW would come down of his high horse a little. Having spent the last few days thinking about making gooseberry and elderflower jam, I now have a few other options, which is great.

The surrey show and the pigs reminded me of what it was like taking part in the Royal Welsh Show as a kid, and this year will be the first time I'll take DD to share in some of my fondest childhood memories.

Am I alone in thinking HFW was making a bit of a pass at his hairdresser, and the others were just on the boat to make up the numbers.
                      I think he's a flirt anyway.

Originally posted by andi&di View Post
                      was pleased that the point of fat content in factory chooks was brought up,a point i think they missed out on in the chicken out series.a lot of people still opt for chicken with the misconception that it's low fat,think more would opt out of buying the factory cheapies if they only realised that the fat content was poss equivelent to red meat!
                      only moan about tonight was that i was already feeling we hadn't planted enough garlic!now i know we havent!didnt the roast wet garlic look heavenly!(or was i looking at hugh?!)
                      The fat chook scenario seems obvious when you think about it, its a forced fed bird, its never going to be a healthy option. I don't read the papers, but I do wish him well with his fight against Tescos, what was the statistic 1 in every £8 is spend there, if he can change their minds on the topic, perhaps it can truly make a difference. Asda is still cheaper though.
                      Re: Chickens. Although the fat issue is important, for me, the most interesting point was the absent or low omega 3 levels. Getting your RDA of Omega 3 is important in all diets but low levels of Omega 3 may be a contributing factor to developmental and behavioural problems in children. If a significant number of children are on a diet of mechanically recovered, factory farmed chicken products, it may explain the dramatic rise in individuals diagnosed with such problems. Another component of an increasingly toxic childhood?
                      Last edited by trebellangeminired; 19-06-2008, 07:32 AM.
                      TGR

Comment

To be honest I was surprised there was omega 3 in Chicken anyway, I would normally associate it with fish, and I eat a lot of fish (4/5 times a week). I was quite alarmed that chicken which is recognised as a healthy protein option in just about all the diets that you look at, can have so little protein value and such a high fat content.

I think there needs to be more research into the foods that we eat (perhaps there is, I don't know), that we recognise as healthy which aren't all they are cracked up to be. I wonder how much difference it would make if we ate chicken say 3 times a week, based on the two variants. How many calories would this actually equate to, or is this just scare mongering, on behalf of HFW.
                        Last edited by Mikey; 19-06-2008, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Personally i think scaremongering is when the media get hold of a story where theres the minutest of minutest chance a product can have ill effect & they blow it all out of proportion!as far as pointing out to people the FACT that factory farm chickens are not the healthy option people think they is essential public service!I'm sure theres a huge proportion of people who presume the only difference between free range\factory is the welfare issue & have no idea that the quality of the meat is affected.

Comment

Originally posted by andi&di View Post
                            Personally i think scaremongering is when the media get hold of a story where theres the minutest of minutest chance a product can have ill effect & they blow it all out of proportion!as far as pointing out to people the FACT that factory farm chickens are not the healthy option people think they is essential public service!I'm sure theres a huge proportion of people who presume the only difference between free range\factory is the welfare issue & have no idea that the quality of the meat is affected.
                            I think its quite important to know the figures of what he is saying, the research he highlighted said that the amount of fat was higher, but I don't recall any percentages, or relation to our daily allowance, or calorie content included in these comments. He did say that there was 10 times more omega 3 in the free range bird, but even then didn't relate that to figures from 30 years ago. At the beginning of the topic he said that the non free range chicken could be attributing to the obesity of the nation. To be honest if the figures aren't there to substantiate his comments then yes that is scare mongering. He has the welfare of the birds at heart, and that is commendable, but he needs to be careful about making claims and not backing them up with science or research.

Comment

unfotunately cant back up argument with solid facts as it was some years ago i dabbled in nutrition & cant remember everything,(maybe not getting enough omega 3?!)but the conception that chicken is now higher in fat than 30yrs ago is not a new one.dont know what up to date research has been done but i know in the early part of 2000 research was done that said per serving of chicken "now"(back then)contained more fat than protein & on average 50%more calories (due to the birds getting less exercise & being fed on artificial food stuffs to fatten them up quicker.)than chiken from the 70's.
                              that said wholeheartedly agree that ifyou're going to make those claims on national t.v you need to have facts\figures \& up to date scientific proof at hand.

Comment

I had a look on his chicken out site, but can't find any reference to his recent research into this.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X