Whats easy to plant for a child .

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats easy to plant for a child .

My Daughter has a couple of home painted plant pots that she got for christmas, with a beautiful watering can,
    anyway she is only 7 but wants to plant something in them to put infront of her play house, they are only small pots, what is easy to grow and wont be to big ?
    Last edited by winolover; 22-02-2008, 03:45 PM.
    Treat every day as a new challenge... love it, learn from it and most off all enjoy it!

Dont know if radish may be too hot for the littl'un but they grow dead quick, keeps the interest.
    Cress is good too.
    Bob Leponge
    Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

cress !! brilliant why didn't i think of that, it grows so fast and she could eat it..
      i'll get her some this weekend from wilko's thanks Boblepong
      Treat every day as a new challenge... love it, learn from it and most off all enjoy it!

Comment

try putting a clove of garlic in. You can eat the sprouts like chives. Or the top of a carrot - you can eat those greens as well.
        You know you're a hard nosed gardener when you pull the weeds from others plots!

Comment

i didn't know you could do that ?
          now i might just try that one myself !!

Comment

You didn't say how big the pots were - but would Sunflower Teddy Bear be an answer - they only grow to 18" tall and are lovely round fluffy blooms - a variety I'm trying this year.

Comment

Does she want veg? Cos T&M do have a small variety of pea that might be interesting for one pot?

Or maybe some cut and come again salad leaves?

Or would they be too boring and grown uppy for her?

Comment

Nasturtiums, marigolds and calendula are good, vigorous and easy to grow, lots of colourful flowers too.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

my 12 year old son wanted to grow something on his windowsill that he would be able to munch when he got hungry - he is now happily nurturing a tray of 'cut and come again' salad leaves.
                  Happy Gardening,
                  Shirley

Comment

thanks every one,
                    the flower pots are on 3 inch high, i got some cress seeds for now, but will invest in some salad leaves, she will love them as she like eating veg from her grandads garden,
                    Last edited by winolover; 25-02-2008, 08:52 AM.

Comment

People tend to suggest radishes and lettuce because you get quick results but kids don't generally like them. I 'helped' my grand-daughter (now 3) to plant up some pots last year - we put in a strawberry plant and some peas. She loved them both and could pick her own a few at a time. She also grew 3 spuds in a shrub tub - really enjoyed watering and topping up with compost and went home VERY excited with a carrier bag full of new potaotes when we harvested them. At home her Daddy bought a blueberry to keep outside the back door. She single-handedly demolished those too! Children also love the sweet Sungold tomatoes. I'm lucky to get any from my couple of plants when she's been to visit.

I would go for what they like to eat rather than what comes through soonest. You can start with a plant, not just seeds.
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

thanks Flummery,
                        i might invest in a tomatoe plant, just a small one,
                        she also has a sweet pea growing in one of her small pots,from seed but i think it might overtake the wondow ledge as it only been growing for 6 days and is already 3inch high ! but it'll look pretty in her play house,

Comment

Winolover,
                          Dont invest. I will send you a few cherry tom seeds for her, they will pop up in less than a week or so if they are kept indoors, then she can be taught potting on and feeding etc as well.
                          PM me with your address, they will be in the post tomorrow.
                          Bob Leponge
                          Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

My nephews (4 and 7 yrs) have their own veg patch on the lottie, last year they grew 11 pumpkins which they made into lanterns and curry.
                            the 4 yr old was so proud of his green pumpkin he carried it around with him for a week!
                            this year they have decided to grow caugettes carrots and peas, they get there seeds (and gloves, trowels etc)as their easter present and they do all the digging weeding watering themselves. they love it.
                            Yo an' Bob
                            Walk lightly on the earth
                            take only what you need
                            give all you can
                            and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Don't forget to 'record' the growing plant
                              Height, girth etc - get her a little scrap book, put photos in there, the seed packet along with drawings of her plants, it gives kids an interesting reason to write, read and draw!
                              Good luck, please let us know how she gets on.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X